Thread: Atari's Atari Box (2017) Atari VCS (2018)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I seem to remember reading somewhere they have been testing with linux games on Steam and GOG, so there is that. And with modern game development tools, you can simply change your build output checkbox from PC, mac, android, ps4, or whatever to linux, make a few changes as needed, and you've got yourself an Ataribox game. So it's not like third party developers are going to have to risk a lot of time and money on a doomed console.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere they have been testing with linux games on Steam and GOG, so there is that. And with modern game development tools, you can simply change your build output checkbox from PC, mac, android, ps4, or whatever to linux, make a few changes as needed, and you've got yourself an Ataribox game. So it's not like third party developers are going to have to risk a lot of time and money on a doomed console.
    Your understanding of what it takes to make a game developed for another platform work on Linux is way off. There are many libraries and plug-ins that are specific to Windows and other operating systems that can't be covered easily over to Linux. There is a reason you can't find Linux versions of some of the biggest titles and that groups of enthusiasts spend a lot of time trying to make specific games work. Unity helps, but it's not as easy as just changing the target platform. In any event, the small install base if the thing ever even ships isn't going to be attractive to developers that already don't bother to support the much larger Linux base out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Compared to starting from scratch, which seemed to be the implication, then yeah, I'd say it's a lot easier. And while I admittedly haven't developed for Linux...in a game setting anyways, I have worked with Unity quite a bit. There has even been some speculation that Unity may support the platform directly as opposed to just being able to use it's existing Linux build support. But yeah, everything is just speculation right now since Atari has been very sparse with actual details.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Compared to starting from scratch, which seemed to be the implication, then yeah, I'd say it's a lot easier. And while I admittedly haven't developed for Linux...in a game setting anyways, I have worked with Unity quite a bit. There has even been some speculation that Unity may support the platform directly as opposed to just being able to use it's existing Linux build support. But yeah, everything is just speculation right now since Atari has been very sparse with actual details.
    Again, most indie developers and certainly large developers don't bother with Linux as it is. They aren't going to start supporting it on a console with a 10K install base that is literally 1/7 of what Ouya had after crowdfunding. This thing is DOA if it even makes it into the hands of backers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I guess you're not counting Android. My point is, if it's relatively easy to port your existing game over, then I do see developers doing it...if the thing actually gets released that is. I know I have seen many indie developers asking questions about supporting the system.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jb143 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (07-05-2018)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

In news that will stun almost no one, the "Atari VCS" has been delayed. The new time-frame? Sometime before 2020.

Source: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...eboot_delayed/

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

So is this thing still gonna come out?