Thread: Good games that run on Windows XP?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Was Dark Forces XP?
    The original Dark Forces was an MS-DOS game. Then there was Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (which ran on a modified Quake engine so yeah) which started a weird Rambo-like thing where the series completely changed titles (the next game was called Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and then the final one was Jedi Academy). I THINK Academy might be an XP game.

I never even beat the first Dark Forces tho (to be honest while I find a lot of Star Wars media competent and well-made its never been my cuppa java, the assertion that I'm not interested in the mainstream stuff is pretty accurate).

Vampire Bloodlines was a good one that went a little under the radar. Far Cry was pretty amazing.

So I don't have to look them up again for this thread:
    Windows XP released Oct 2001
    Windows 7 Oct 2009 (we won't count Vista in 2007 )
    I'll admit, I was shocked when someone on Vogons mentioned that the original Far Cry could technically run on 98SE.

I say "technically" because a lot of really late 98SE games required Direct X9, which while you can install that on 98se.... chances are, it'll break something, so anything that says "requires Direct X9" might as well just say "requires Windows XP." I ran headfirst into this with Warcraft III, which claimed Win98SE compatibility but then kept crashing no matter what I did.

But the thing is, it just made me realize how freaking old I was... and how old the Far Cry franchise is. I keep thinking of it as a franchise that began just like five years ago but if it was around long enough to have seen Windows 98se, that's just... I need to get dentures and a walking cane.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmond Dantes For This Useful Post:

Cornelius (07-27-2018)