Thread: An argument against games going download

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The prospect of lost games and consoles isn't on the horizon, it's already here. For example, my PS3 borked pretty hard. I found a shop that promised to fix it, and after a month and a half of back-and-forth and missed deadlines, they gave it back in a trash bag and told me that the repairs were more than the console was worth and they weren't going to bother (despite telling me at the start that they would do whatever I was willing to fund, even beyond the item's value), and I lost a lot of savefiles. Yes, I should have made some backup saves with thumb drives, and thankfully my usual stubbornness about owning physical copies made things a bit less painful. But not having the means and skills to make repairs and not having access to somewhere that was willing was one of the most infuriating things I've encountered that was gaming-related. Older consoles and carts have a better possibility of repair, and there's something of a 'passionate craftsman' community that will do those repairs. It's not unlike modern cars vs. classic cars.

If the games were download-only, they would have been GONE and I probably would have another month (optimistically) ahead of me convincing Sony that the replacement console belonged to me and getting my games back. Five years from now and this would most likely be impossible. As mentioned above, stuff like this is already happening to games on mobile devices, plus consoles that are two generations old (I'm looking at you, Wii). PC has been dealing with this for a very long time already.

The whole thing is part of 'modern' electronic entertainment. CCGs are still playable and collectible even after the game becomes unsupported. If WFB players got their wish and Games Workshop spontaneously combusted, you could still play Warhammer. But all that has to happen for download-only media to die is...absolutely nothing.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Does PSN for PS3 function differently? I don't have a PS3, but as best as I understand with PSP, Vita, and PS4, digital games are linked to your PSN account, not to any specific systems. So if you have to replace a system, it should be as simple as logging into your PSN account and installing the game to your new system. You have to do more if you want to back up your save files, but it should at least prevent you from losing access to the games themselves. A lot of games are cross-platform too, so, say, if you replace a PSP with a Vita, you could then install your digital PSP games on your Vita.

Probably the worst move Sony has pulled in this regard is killing off PS Mobile. There were over 100 games on the service, and those are plain gone. Even if you bought them, you can't access them for download, unlike other PSN games that have been removed, which should still show up on your download list if you bought them prior to their removal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

That was the odd part. The account got locked at some point in the interim between the old console dying and the new one booting up. I got it unlocked, and Sony was pretty reasonable, then somehow it got locked up again a week later and the rep I got the second time was a jackass trying to make intimations that I was some sort of pervert or pirate but switched back to helpful after about twenty minutes. I'm not sure whether his supervisor told him to knock it off or his pills kicked in or something. Things are hunky dory now on that front, at least.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.