Thread: Hardest game to get when it was brand new?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Stadium Events wasnt rare when it was released. It was re-released by Nintendo as World Class Track Meet. The unsold copies were returned and destroyed I think.
    So I wouldnt say it was hard to find when it was released; it was there but nobody wanted it.
    Super Mario 2 was very hard to find. I remember my dad took me to like 5 video game stores looking for it before we found one copy (the last one left), and it was 55$.

Also Urban Yeti was advertised & sold on television commercials, and I think it also had a (limited?) release in stores.
    I wouldnt consider this one hard to get since it was easily bought if you had a phone and credit card.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 08-21-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Stadium Events wasnt rare when it was released. It was re-released by Nintendo as World Class Track Meet. The unsold copies were returned and destroyed I think.
    No kidding. People always talk about that game like it was something everyone always wanted. It wasn't. It is just an internet thing. I often see posts of people with stuff like "I saw 50 copies of that game at Funcoland in 1992 but I didn't buy them, and I went back and they were gone." My response is "you imagined that." no one would have even cared about that game in 1992, let alone enough to remember something like that years , decades later.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peeingas For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (08-25-2019)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peeingas View Post
    No kidding. People always talk about that game like it was something everyone always wanted. It wasn't. It is just an internet thing. I often see posts of people with stuff like "I saw 50 copies of that game at Funcoland in 1992 but I didn't buy them, and I went back and they were gone." My response is "you imagined that." no one would have even cared about that game in 1992, let alone enough to remember something like that years , decades later.
    I assume most people are just confusing it with Athletic World as the labels and packaging are very similar, at least the original packaging looks close to Stadium Events.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I have also heard stories of people seeing stacks of Stadium Events games on sale, but no way would it have been as late as 1992 and it wouldn't have been at Funcoland.
    The reason the game was recalled was because the "Family Fitness Pad" was renamed the "Power Pad".
    Now maybe some retailers were allowed to discount the game, but its more likely they had to ship them back to Nintendo instead.
    If people do remember seeing stacks of SE its prob because nobody bought it in the few months it was for sale.

And yeah its likely people confuse it with Athletic World or World Class Track Meet.

And yeah, nobody cared about the game in 1992. For most of the 90's very few people actually collected nes games.

Also, if you havent noticed Athletic World has 2 variants, one says "Family Fitness Pad" and one says "For use with Power Pad"
    Last edited by bb_hood; 08-25-2019 at 03:18 PM.