Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

Well, that was quite annoying. I seem to have come down with a cold (bad timing right before Thanksgiving, but what can you do), so I figured I'd pull out my Game Boy Advance SP and lounge around with that. But before starting something new, I thought I'd tie up loose ends by trying to finish off Monsters, Inc. for Game Boy Color, which I had gotten close to beating but haven't touched since, like, June. I was up to the second to last stage, so it's moderately difficult, at least with the mediocre controls. But I got used the controls quickly enough that I cleared the stage itself and got to the boss battle at the end of it. A little practice there and I beat the boss, but right as I got the final hit, the damn game crashed for no apparent reason. The music kept playing and the enemies kept looping their defeat animations, but a static noise also started playing, and the game wouldn't accept any input besides Start + Select + A + B to reset the game. :/ Literally all I needed to do was walk over to the cage to trigger a cutscene and the start of the last stage, where I could get the next password. But screw it, I watched a longplay to confirm I had beaten the boss, and I got the password for the last stage online. I'm not gonna replay that entire stage and boss fight just because the game cheated me out of continuing as I should've.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 PS2. I had gotten like 95% of the way through on a previous save file but I couldnt find the memory card with that save file on it so had to start over. sucks as I had dumped dozens of hours into it, had most of the cars, all my records, gone now. oh well

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

As I posted in the Beaten in 2019 topic, I finished off Monsters, Inc. on my Game Boy Advance SP, though it took a ton of attempts at the final stage, which got rather infuriating itself. It's a vertically-scrolling, auto-scrolling stage, where all the platforms are tiny, and you have to control Sully, who is a slow clunky piece of crap with no height to his jumps, so you often have to catch the edge of platforms and hoist yourself up. You're getting chased the entire time by the enemy you defeat in the prior boss battle, and the enemy hops from platform to platform, at an inconsistent rate. If the enemy touches Sully in any way, even if he nicks his feet, it's instant death and back to the very beginning of the stage, since there are no checkpoints. Same with the auto-scrolling. If even your feet disappear below the bottom of the screen, it's instant death. Yet you're free to have Sully completely off the screen at the top, and you basically have to do just that to stay ahead of the scrolling and enemy. I found myself having to memorize where the platforms are and jumping to them before I could even see them, since you're given such a limited view of the stage. Just really dumb design all around, and I always wonder why developers often make games designed primarily for little kids so challenging. If it takes an adult dozens of attempts, I can only imagine what it'd be like for a kid under 10.

Anyway, I started a file in Final Fantasy Legend III, only playing through the opening cutscenes and saving as soon as I was in control, but I'm not sure I'm feeling it now. Sometimes when I'm sick, a game that isn't demanding on reflexes is exactly what I'm in the mood for, but sometimes I don't have the patience when sick for a slow-paced game. I think I'm leaning more toward the latter right now. So I also started the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country. It's a little overkill to play this when I'm already in the middle of playing Donkey Kong Country 3 with my husband, but we're only playing that sporadically, so hopefully I won't feel like I'm overdosing on the series.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 11-29-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP isn't going quite as swiftly as I expected. I got the Game Boy Color version to experience a familiar game in a slightly different way, but I wasn't hoping that would include more lag and slowdown, worse hit detection, and less room to maneuver. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by any of that, given that, in a lot of ways, this is like if they had made an NES port of Donkey Kong Country, and for a game that was late-ish for the SNES and a technological leap for the system, it's only natural that much weaker hardware would cause a downgrade to more than just the audio and visuals. So all the ways in which it controls and plays differently is making it harder for me. I can whiz through the SNES version at this point, but I've actually seen the Game Over screen quite a few times in this version, even as early as the second area. Thank goodness this version saves automatically after each stage because I think I'd really be struggling if I had to make it to Candy (or Funky) just to save. I'm up to the last stage of the fourth area, which I've already attempted a bunch of times. Any stage with a ton of tires is annoying because the timing to get a big bounce isn't the same as the SNES version, nor is the hit detection for staying on the tire versus slipping off.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

I'm still chipping away at the Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country on my Game Boy Advance SP since beating it. I think I have only two stages left where I haven't entered all the bonus rooms? I've cleared all of Candy's challenges, but I've still barely collected any stickers. I've also barely touched the bonus mini-games so far. I'm not sure if those count toward my percentage. If this were the SNES version, I'd probably be nearly at 101%, but I think I'm only around 80% right now. I've heard talk of a Lost World in this game, but I don't know how it unlocks. So far, Necky Nutmare midway through the final area is the only new stage I've seen.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I tried 100% the SNES version and I think I couldnt find a bonus roon on the first industrial stage. and its one of those games where I refuse to look at a FAQ for it.

another one I got hung up on is Donkey Kong Land. missed a bonus area on a couple stages. very difficult to find everything on those games

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

You probably permanently missed a bonus room in Oil Drum Alley. There's a bonus room within a bonus room in that stage, the only one like it in the whole game, and you only get one shot to do it. You can reset the system, of course, but if you save after getting into the first of those two bonus rooms, without getting into the second, then you're screwed. I'm not sure if the later ports let you reattempt. I made sure to do it right on the first attempt in the GBC version.