Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
There's a bit of a difference, coins are still used today and are pretty stable with long-term condition. People are familiar with coins and what they are, and many hold high value because of the material they're made from. Video games are basically electronics, and specifically focused on video. I would estimate most electronics could last functionally maybe 100 years with maintenance, and video becomes obsolete much quicker compared to audio formats. Proper display monitors in the correct resolution to play them on are already disappearing, and some games won't be playable at all like Duck Hunt or Lethal Enforcers as the equipment doesn't work on modern displays.

Basically this would affect the number of collectors interested in video games, at least in terms of those caring about original hardware. Games are moving back to being considered disposable with everything being streaming or digital download only, in maybe 10-20 years I doubt most people would consider earlier games more than disposable too, as though original cartridges are equivalent to VHS releases compared to modern Bluray or 4K releases. Old games being rereleased on new platforms will lower demand for original releases. Demand will still be around but not to widespread levels.

That's my opinion of it anyway. I saw a lot of previously highly valuable computer games become nearly worthless once PCs stopped coming with floppy drives and OSs stopped being natively DOS compatible.
I agree with all of this. One problem with video games, controllers, and consoles is the issue of depletable parts. Batteries, capacitors, and springs are not meant to last forever. Thats similar with cars. You cant maintain an original Model T with 100% original parts. At the very least, the lubricants would have to be brand new.

Coins and comic books, those can be 100% original and still be used to their full functionality well beyond our lifetimes