Thread: What Game/s are You Playing? Daily / Whenever Check :) (GAMEPLAY)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Got some time in playing Super Mario 64. Still a classic! At work I'm playing Legend of Zelda on 3DS and am on my way to Death Mountain in the First Quest.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Still not playing much, but I've got over nine hours on the clock in Mystic Chronicles for PSP via my Vita. I recruited my third party member, Tina, a while ago, which I have to admit was a little extra incentive to start this game. As shallow as it is to care, it's not often I get to play a game that has a player-controlled character who shares my nickname (in canon, that is. Obviously there are tons of games where you can name the characters anything you please.) I can't think of any game where a controllable character shares my full first name, so my nickname is as close as I'll get. Anyway, now I'm on a new section of map. I was wondering how that was going to work because the first map screen wasn't scrolling or anything, but I didn't think the whole game would take place in that small area. I could be totally off the mark, but I think I'm probably approaching the halfway point. It doesn't look like there's any more than six party members max, and I'm starting to get quests ranked three out of five stars in difficulty. These Kemco RPGs often aren't especially long, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's beatable in under twenty hours.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have around 12 hours in Mystic Chronicles for PSP via my Vita now. I recruited Ray, so now I have more characters than can be in the battle party. I know a lot of people like when all characters gain experience from battles, whether they participated in the battles or not, but I hate that myself. I've never been one to just find a grouping I like and stick with it. I like cycling through everybody, and trying to keep all the levels even is one way to ensure everybody gets a roughly equal amount of battle time. But here, everybody will stay around the same level even if I were to stick to the same party. Actually, I think characters don't get experience if they get knocked out in battle, so those outside of the active battle party seem to have an advantage in terms of always getting EXP. Anyway, Lux is starting to build himself a real harem, haha, but I believe at least one of the remaining recruitable characters is male. I mentioned how this game has a playable character who shares my nickname, but it's also a funny coincidence that, in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak, I happen to be playing a game that has a party member named Corona. I just cleared the Road to Valencia, and I'm guessing there's not much left to do on this map screen. I also have access to the Omega Colosseum, which I assume is an optional thing, and I'll have to figure out how exactly that works.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've finally been playing The Legend of heroes Trails of Cold Steel, around 30 hours in, and one thing I want to say, is Atlus should really take notes. So if you look at images of the game, you'll see a calendar system, but don't let that put you off from the game, because unlike Persona 5, the pacing isn't absolute garbage and the calendar system is more superficial than anything.

While you spend time with other characters, you only spend time with characters once a month and every single event per month is completely unique, so something that happens in one month won't happen throughout the rest of the game. Sometimes it gives you a bit of insight on the feelings of the characters, other times you learn about the characters past that isn't in the storyline.

The dialogue in this game is some of the best we've had in a JRPG in a long time, and not just the main story or the event scenes, but each and every event change, whether it's a different date or after an event happens during the day in the storyline, the dialogue for every single character and NPC in the game will be different. It'd be one thing if it wasn't written well or wasn't interesting, but the dialogue for the NPCs is actually really good.

The game world is good and while you have your main location, which is Thor's Military Academy, as you progress you go to multiple different cities, areas, and dungeons.

The combat is the one thing that I like, but at the same time, it's a bit underwhelming. Now it's still good, but imo it can be abused and it's not really as good as it could be. That being said, this is one of the few games where combat is the least represented part of the games gameplay where many RPGs are more combat or exploration focused. So the combat is a turn based RPG with a strategic element to it. Enemies and characters have movement and attack ranges and then delays are added to all of your attacks, skills, and spells. Using spells though have additional delay which is actually really good to disrupt turn order and push turn bonuses to different characters or enemies by inserting an extra turn into the battle. The problem with this though is that using a skill to buff party attack and then use attack skills is 99% more effective than using magic and it's so easy to maximize CP on your party. So while the combat is good, sure, to me if feels too abusable at times and is really only standout on harder boss battles.

Now one thing I'd recommend is if you do play the game, the game offers a hard difficulty. I feel that this difficulty is the best way to experience the game. I haven't played any other difficulty, but with how this one feels, I think that the normal difficulty would be too stupidly easy to be any good, but again, this is just an assumption as I've never played the game on normal.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have roughly 20 hours in Mystic Chronicles for PSP via my Vita now, which is kind of surprising considering I think I already had End of Serenity beaten in about 15. But there wasn't much to do in that game but keep progressing the story. Mystic Chronicles has a fair amount of optional, sometimes grindy content. I recruited Alberto and made it to Aldo, so now there's just one character slot left to fill. I got a whole bunch of new weapon/armor-forging books, so now I can make a ton of new gear, and I got a whole new batch of quests. The difficulty ratings in this kind of faked me out. They used to always show five stars, and between one and and all five would be filled in. So I assumed they couldn't get any harder than a five-star rating. But some of my new quests exceed five stars, going up to like seven or eight.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I havent played much of anything in a long time. just cant get myself to play anything. too much stuff going on and i dont have the energy to play a lot of those games when i come home

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Up to around 25 hours in Mystic Chronicles for PSP via my Vita and still no ending in sight, not even the last recruitable character. This has a lot of content for a Kemco RPG. On top of the quests in the Miktoran region, the other two regions got new quests too, generally involving new boss monsters showing up. So most of my time has been spent hunting down those and then using the reward money to upgrade my equipment as much as possible, though I'm starting to get to a point where I'm more limited by not having certain rare materials than by not having the funds. Some of these new monsters hit really hard. There's a bird that appeared along the Road to Valencia that creams me with multiple uses of powerful magic each turn. My characters are around level 50, so I wonder how high they'll get by the end of the game (and beyond; I know there's post-game content too). I've cleared about all the quests I can manage at the moment, so I'm ready to progress the story more. I went into the Ruins of Sin, but there wasn't much I could do on the first visit. I have to return to Aldo and see where it goes from there.