I have in the last few years been slowly grabbing up complete copies of old games I used to own for the DOS/Win9X era that I lost over time (seemingly just retained Fate of Atlantis talkie all this time.) I know a good large many on the DOS side work great in DOSBox so that's covered, even in the case of a floppy as I found in the box a USB floppy drive for a few bucks in the the last 5 years at a thrift here.

So in the cases they work, they work, great. In the case of them also being on GoG I grab that too, usually the installer is far easier to put up with in some cases, and the PDF reference materials are solid and keep wear off the others in a pinch. In a few cases I can't get it on GoG, the floppy works, such as Silverball 2 Plus!

But then you have these other games, the Win 3.X stuff, a no-go in Win10. Those I got a custom setup of Win3.X I injected into DOSbox (ECE version I use) and wham, where i had been blocked but stored thigns, such as my Explorers CD with CIV+Colonization for Win, I can play them again installing it right into that emulated OS within an emulated OS. I've got a few like that, have the Maxis Collection with the epic Sim Tower+Sim City Classic there and they run too.

Some cases I've also got games that refuse to work in Win10, but are in the 9x/XP era that just end up being pissy or having trash 16bit installers. THose so far have GoG copies, and other than HiOctane (which runs like on speedballs on track) I'm in good shape there too.

There are a few games, I've had to do some google hunting, I found other lovers of said company or game they've hacked the crap out of the games installer so since the game itself is 32bit, and got them working. All those nice SegaPC Collection games (the racers, panzer dragoon, etc) can't work, but with those, they do. So that solved that. I've got a Sim City 2000 Win installer repair that does the same too.

Right now within the last week the half price books just up the street I walked into a treasure trove as it hit the floor. Someone dropped a big box collection. Over 2 days (first was majority) I walked out of there with a presumed 16 big box DOS-98SE era releases from mostly 1995-2000 and they were mostly $3-6 each, a couple $10. MOST of them are sealed still. THree that weren't one (sadly) incomplete with no paper (Civ2 for DOS-WIn3X) did have CiV1 CD and CIV4 DVD inside) so +2 on that. So far I've officially added CIV2(bought the missing paper off ebay cheap) XWvsTIE w/expansion box, and Wing Commander Prophecy to the pile of my box collection. The other 13, a few I will sell I just can't use them, but I'm torn on the rest. I'll never see this again without getting taken to the cleaners. Some of those sealed I own (Railroad Tycoon 2) on GoG, and AOE2 and expansion, (as already mentioned earlier by another) I can get the HD release on Steam so it can stay bottled up. I know I have over $500 in games I grabbed for like $75 so I'm not complaining. Here's what I'm talking about for clarity. I don't have a pic of my closet shelf of gems and the few I keep in my desk too like Simpsons Arcade Game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCBigBox1-Mar30.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	10824
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCBigBox2-Mar31.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	10825