Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
It's a combination of a bunch of different things - different reasons for different people, who think differently about these things.

Some people obviously just want it because everyone else seems to.
People tend to want to own collector items in the best possible condition, and new items are considered to be in better condition than used items. Plus with a sealed game you know it to be fully complete, there's no inserts missing or incorrect variants(like original or greatest hits versions) just pieced together from different copies later on. If you had the choice to buy a new copy of a game or a used copy of the same game, at the same price, you'll probably choose the new one. There's more demand for new copies and less available than used ones, so they're worth more.

When collectors are complaining about sealed games, it's really just complaints about the pricing with them. I don't really hear many people complain about the game simply because it's a new copy. Plenty of collectors have multiple copies of games too so they can always play the titles they also own sealed.

As for why they're so much more valuable than used copies, that I don't get. Even with Super Mario Bros, as I heard someone else mention, this isn't even the original version of the game as that would be the Famicom version. That should be the valuable version if it's about historical significance.