Thread: what is this game or how do I play it?

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default what is this game or how do I play it?

I posted this in classic gaming because it feels like a classic game, though it is something brand new. My daughter won this at one of those places where you get tickets for playing certain games. She was excited to have a little hand held but after trying it out, we really don't get it. HAs anyone seen this or know the brand or know the game itself? All I see in the back is just country of origin, nothing else that could identify it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	11141

Thanks in advance!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm not sure what the exact version you have is, but that type of handheld has been around for over a decade easily. I'm sure it's the same basic chip shared in all models, something off the shelf that any company can buy and make into their own product.

Basically that type of handheld would have several built in games. One being a Tetris clone, but there should also be a snake/serpent clone, and some other similar types of simple games. I used to see these regularly in various dollar stores over the years. Unless somehow what you have is different, maybe only featuring one game instead of several.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm not sure what the exact version you have is, but that type of handheld has been around for over a decade easily. I'm sure it's the same basic chip shared in all models, something off the shelf that any company can buy and make into their own product.

Basically that type of handheld would have several built in games. One being a Tetris clone, but there should also be a snake/serpent clone, and some other similar types of simple games. I used to see these regularly in various dollar stores over the years. Unless somehow what you have is different, maybe only featuring one game instead of several.
    THANK YOU! You were exactly right. Started to better understand the controls. It looks like there are about 8-10 games, each represented by a letter. There is A-Z but most are just the last game repeated. In any case, with my knowledge of Atari/NES games I was able to explain to my daughter how to play them. She's been having a blast! Classics never go out of style

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Easy answer.

1) What is the place where your daughter played the game. In the past I had
    A. Fairyland arcade
    B. Coney Island *

* Before the arcade burnt down there was roller-ball, basket-ball, throw bal ( you have to do it under hand ), Quarter shooter game ( which gave the most tickets and you could win quarters back from my memory ), Bopper. Of course the higher prizes was game systems and boomboxes, or even mini-tvs.

2) Maybe you could go and inquire ( politely ) about the origin of the prizes, about where they order them from. In most cases it is generic places. I assume this is going to by some Mainland Asian place ( I am not saying China because in China head everywhere is China ).

3) While yes back in the later days of the Gameboy Color "Toys R' Us" would have the Nintendo variants of those, in proper Nintendo packaging and some artwork indicator of what the game was. However I could even go far back before the PSX ( which this device is replicating ) and look at Gameboy shaped devices as well. It is a real head trip for me. Kosovo ( Serb v. Bosniac ) genocidal war was on in 1991.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gametrek View Post
    Easy answer.

1) What is the place where your daughter played the game. In the past I had
    A. Fairyland arcade
    B. Coney Island *

* Before the arcade burnt down there was roller-ball, basket-ball, throw bal ( you have to do it under hand ), Quarter shooter game ( which gave the most tickets and you could win quarters back from my memory ), Bopper. Of course the higher prizes was game systems and boomboxes, or even mini-tvs.

2) Maybe you could go and inquire ( politely ) about the origin of the prizes, about where they order them from. In most cases it is generic places. I assume this is going to by some Mainland Asian place ( I am not saying China because in China head everywhere is China ).

3) While yes back in the later days of the Gameboy Color "Toys R' Us" would have the Nintendo variants of those, in proper Nintendo packaging and some artwork indicator of what the game was. However I could even go far back before the PSX ( which this device is replicating ) and look at Gameboy shaped devices as well. It is a real head trip for me. Kosovo ( Serb v. Bosniac ) genocidal war was on in 1991.
    It's ok, we can now play it so I don't need to investigate further. But just for completeness in case someone else runs into it I'll try to answer.

1) She got it at a trampoline/rock climbing place, don't know the name but it wasn't a specific arcade
    2) The only writing says Made in China
    3) I don't think that was a question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Holy cow! Did it come with a toothpick and a magnifying glass to play? Kidding aside, how hard is it to actually play control wise? Is there a lot of button bumping and what not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Holy cow! Did it come with a toothpick and a magnifying glass to play? Kidding aside, how hard is it to actually play control wise? Is there a lot of button bumping and what not?
    yeah, that's why I put my hand in the picture, just to show how tiny it was. Controls are good and responsive. I wouldn't be able to play more than a few minutes due to ergonomics but my daughter hasn't complained. it's a very portable game system for her.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember at one point when niece was small, McDonald's gave away tiny LCD games in the Happy Meals. They had one sitting around in their toys for quite awhile.