Thread: Game Informer magazine releases its final issue.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Default Game Informer magazine releases its final issue.

The final issue of Game Informer has been delivered. That's 368 issues over the course of 33 years, a truly remarkable run, as parent Gamestop abruptly ending the magazine.

https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/s...78547805540544

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

I wonder if the stores will have any copies.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

I can't say I was ever particularly fond of Game Informer. I always felt it was kinda bottom-tier, back when we had other options at least. But I did have a subscription for one year, I think in the mid '00s, and I have a few other random issues. Though I wouldn't mind adding some more to my collection and giving it more of a chance. Maybe someday.

It is sad to hear of yet another US-based print video game mag shuttering. As far as I know, it was the last one left. And from what I heard about its closure, GameStop really did the Game Informer staff dirty. They informed the staff they were laid off immediately at the same time they put up a public farewell message on Twitter, one that none of the staff had any involvement with and reeks of being AI-generated. They didn't even leave the farewell message up for long before deleting the Twitter account, and they also abruptly changed the website to load up nothing but the same message, wiping out a huge amount of content. The staff was also 70% finished with the next issue, which will now never be published, so obviously they never got a chance to do a proper final issue either. Just shows what utter scumbags the higher-ups at GameStop are and how little they valued any of the people they had working on Game Informer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I can't say I was ever particularly fond of Game Informer. I always felt it was kinda bottom-tier, back when we had other options at least. But I did have a subscription for one year, I think in the mid '00s, and I have a few other random issues. Though I wouldn't mind adding some more to my collection and giving it more of a chance. Maybe someday.

It is sad to hear of yet another US-based print video game mag shuttering. As far as I know, it was the last one left. And from what I heard about its closure, GameStop really did the Game Informer staff dirty. They informed the staff they were laid off immediately at the same time they put up a public farewell message on Twitter, one that none of the staff had any involvement with and reeks of being AI-generated. They didn't even leave the farewell message up for long before deleting the Twitter account, and they also abruptly changed the website to load up nothing but the same message, wiping out a huge amount of content. The staff was also 70% finished with the next issue, which will now never be published, so obviously they never got a chance to do a proper final issue either. Just shows what utter scumbags the higher-ups at GameStop are and how little they valued any of the people they had working on Game Informer.
    Is there anything left from a major publisher in the States? I want to say PC Gamer may be it, but they are a "brand" of Future PLC, which also publishes Edge, Retro Gamer, and a metric butt-ton of other media (and always adding things to their "vertical"....man I hate modern market speak...just like everything's an F'n BRAND). I know there are some indies like Nintendo Force but really....what's left?

If folks want to snag some mags of Game Informer, I think some stores have multiple issues for about half off the cover price.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

Future PLC is British. I'd classify Nintendo Force as more of a fanzine than something akin to Game Informer. There are some US-based professional print mags that do some video game coverage, like Otaku USA, but as far as I know, Game Informer was the last of the ones dedicated solely to games.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nintendo Force maybe operates behind the scenes more like a fanzine. But the quality of its magazine is on par with anything back in the day. Ive had a subscription for a little over a year. It’s great