Thread: Castlevania Dominus Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Castlevania Dominus Collection

This release just shadow dropped out of nowhere this is great cause now you don't need a ds to play these castlevania.

This is available for steam,switch,PS5 and xbox-series x.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

I already have all the DS games, but I'm excited about it having a remake of Haunted Castle. Though, I'm disappointed this one isn't on PS4, when the previous Castlevania collections had been. I guess that's just the direction things are going now, but it stings knowing that the Switch is weaker than the PS4, so there's no reason why it couldn't be on PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I already have all the DS games, but I'm excited about it having a remake of Haunted Castle. Though, I'm disappointed this one isn't on PS4, when the previous Castlevania collections had been. I guess that's just the direction things are going now, but it stings knowing that the Switch is weaker than the PS4, so there's no reason why it couldn't be on PS4.
    Who knows why no PS4,it wouldn't take much to emulate those games for the console.I all ready have a PS5 and Switch for this generation so i got two ways to play to the collection.I passed on DS for the time since i lost interest for portables to me i didn't find playing video games on a small screen comfortable anymore.I will buy the castlevania dominus collection asap since i all ways hear praise for castlevania order of ecclesia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Also this didn't take long LRG will be doing a physical release.
    https://limitedrungames.com/collecti...nus-collection
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 09-14-2024 at 02:45 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

The new Haunted Castle sure is a nice entry, maybe not worth the price of admission alone but it's definitely up there. I prefer a more linear Castlevania. There's been the Bloodstained spinoffs along with some similar 8-bit style linear games, but never a 16-bit or arcade one.

At the end of the day it might not actually be better than Rebirth but it definitely looks better.

I preferred Ecclesia over the other two entries for the same reason. IMO it's quite a bit more linear than those, with the map broke up in separate specific stages rather than one big gigantic castle to memorize. I wasn't sure how far I got in it so to refresh my memory I dug my DS out. I vaguely recall I had gotten to a point where I got a bad ending because I didn't rescue all the villagers. I didn't actually get into playing it but it shows me at slightly above 55% completion with 8+ hours played.

The last save file was also dated 2008. No wonder I barely remember anything about it because it was 16 friggin' years ago. Nothing like looking at old save file dates to make you feel old as dirt and contemplate your mortality.
    Last edited by Az; 09-04-2024 at 02:14 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Yeah no kidding...I fired up Pokemon Ranch the other day and it said: "We haven't seen you for 12 years" or something.

On the topic of this - how do they emulate the touch-screen aspect of these? With a mouse? If I recall you had to use the stylus to do things like draw seals and whatnot (for Order of Ecclesia); not sure if the others had much more than a mini-map.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    On the topic of this - how do they emulate the touch-screen aspect of these? With a mouse?
    On Xbox/PS, there's a cursor that will appear onscreen with R2 and you can draw with the right analog stick. If you prefer not to do that you can just do a QTE button combo instead.

From my understanding the Switch version in handheld mode still supports the same touch screen actions. Not sure what PC does.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    On Xbox/PS, there's a cursor that will appear onscreen with R2 and you can draw with the right analog stick. If you prefer not to do that you can just do a QTE button combo instead.

From my understanding the Switch version in handheld mode still supports the same touch screen actions. Not sure what PC does.
    PS5 version can also use the touch pad as well from what I've heard. I haven't played it yet since I'm going to purchase the physical release. Atleast this one we didn't have to wait over a year for the LRG version to be announced, so I'll get to play it only four months late.

As much as I hate so much of what's being made for modern gaming, and I am super hyped about replaying these games despite already owning them on the DS, this generation of games is the worst. The amount of remasters we've received just this past year is staggering. I'm not 100% certain, but I have a good feeling that the ninth generation of games has had more remasters than every generation of games combined, at the very least it's got the most remasters out of every single generation and it's fucking ridiculous. The fact that there's so few good or great games on modern consoles that you can't play elsewhere that we're regularly hyped up about playing decade or several decade old ports instead of any of the garbage that releases now days is fucking ridiculous.

I'm glad we got Tactics Ogre Reborn, Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7 Reunion, SaGa Frontier, and Theatrhythm Final Bar Line because these are actual remakes, or at least in the case of SaGa Frontier, the game was actuallly finished. Tactics Ogre Reborn imo is the first 10/10 game I've played in a long time, literally perfecting the original Tactics Ogre and what is debatably the best TRPG of all time, it's worse than Brigandine Grand Edition and The Legend of Forsena but I would say it is better than everything else. Crisis Core has more modern PS2 like action gameplay that feels incredible to play, a game where the single player is already great(with a rough story) but the mission mode as bad as it might sound with 300 different missions that have you go through the same areas, new enemies, new items, 80-90% of the accessories and materia are locked behind this really good bit of extra content.

tl;dr, while I'm super hyped about these games as I love the Castlevania games and I really want to like Order of Ecclesia a lot more than I did when I've played and replayed the game on the DS and 3DS. The game feels so much like exploring a world like Castlevania 2, except the trial and error bosses and just how linear the game was just something I couldn't get past. However, the thing I hate about modern gaming is that when it comes to new games, whether it's AAA, indie, whatever, is that there are so many mechanics that are often used to pad everything out. If it's not aimless open world, it's procedural generation, if it's an indie game and it's a more explorable world, it's often times padded out to hell whether they add dying as a means to grow more powerful, or dying and losing everything you have on you or partially what you have on you, or massive text dumps that you read for 20-30 minutes before moving on, etc. You hardly play a game now days, indie or otherwise without spending an hour of bullshit just to get out of the tutorial and if you were to skip all of that you'd only see about a few minutes worth of content.

So I'm pretty hopeful that finishing them again now, it'll finally click and I'll really like them because they're not everything I hate about modern gaming, they're actually games I prefer to play, game styles that I enjoy. I watched a review that explained that the linearity of Order of Ecclesia is basically removing all of the back tracking to take away all of the time wasted by having to go back and forth between all these different areas, essentially fixing what they felt was an issue in SotN, CotM, HoD, AoS, etc, which I do agree with CotM and HoD that the map layout causes a lot of timed wasted during back tracking, but I felt that SotN, AoS, and DoS did fairly well not requiring you to constantly waste so much time outside of new areas. I've played through HoD just as many times as I have any others and the amount of travel time and the amount of dashing back and forth through these areas despite using the best route possible, it takes so damn long. So based on the review what stated about the linearity, I actually never thought about it like that, so not only am I playing more classic style game development, but also playing the game in a way that I never actually thought about as being a reason for the change, all I thought was, less exploration and these games are just way too linear for their genre.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Y'know, I've never really touched any of the handheld Castlevania games. I think I played a bit of one probably a good 11 years ago but I'll be dipped to remember which one and if it was on GBA or DS. I've read about the DS games and I know at least one of them had touch screen controls, which was a turn off for me then. Years later I can tolerate it (I do enjoy "Metroid Prime; Hunters", hand cramps not withstanding and I did like "LoZ: Spirit Tracks" until it got stupid for me) but the 'Vanias never came back on my radar.

@kupomogli: I think modern games are being sold as "experiences" more so than "games". Open world, crafting, grinding (or paying) to get virtual clothes for your avatar and of course online play really is a huge draw for the average gamer these days, it's mind boggling. My 22-year-old stepson gets a thrill from grinding for items in "Identity 5" (I think it's called). He'll schedule himself for special events to get the virtual tchotchkes and will gloat about it with his siblings. That and "Ghenshin Impact" (at least for a time) were his peanut butter and jelly. As for my other kids: they have access to a Nintendo Switch and a healthy supply of games of various genres AND can (and have) checked out games from the library. For those limited time games from the library you'd think they'd play the snot out of it, right? Nope-most of the allowed game time gets funneled into certain games in Roblox. They can spend a HUGE chunk of time in a game that just has.....dancing.

I dunno, like the song says "times they are a-changing". It's still video entertainment however you slice it but it's definitely turning into virtual toy boxes more so than the games we're used to.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

@YoshiM Yeah, my two cousin's kids all play Roblox, Fortnite, and Minecraft. Whenever they get money it goes into those games and this is what they've all been playing for years. You'd think they'd get burnt out on the games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.