Thread: OVERCLOCKED CONSOLES for Sale! 8 and 16-bit Systems!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OVERCLOCKED CONSOLES for Sale! 8 and 16-bit Systems!

Hello! Annoyed by the slowdown in a lot of your favorite games? I've found the perfect way to fix it, overclocking the consoles! This is the process of pushing hardware to work beyond its normal limits. I've managed to perfect the process of overclocking the NES/Famicom and MegaDrive/Genesis, and am presently working on the procedure for the SNES/Super Famicom.

For a small price you can have a MegaDrive/Genesis pushed from the normal 7.6 to 12.0 MHz; or an NES/Famicom pushed from 1.79 MHz to 2.5 MHz, eliminating all slowdown in games. Your system will remain 100% stable, run all games properly, and have the same lifespan (it will outlive you, basically. ) Your CPU can not, will not, overheat.

Here's how it works!
    ---
    1. You mail me a payment via Paypal, a personal check, or cash (not recommended unless you disguise it very well.)
    2. I purchase you a console online.
    3. I perform all the modification and tweaking.
    4. The console undergoes extensive testing including 48-hour burn in tests.
    5. I mail the console to you.
    ---
    OR
    ---
    2. You mail me your existing console for the alterations.

These systems will be locked at the new speed, however, for a higher price, I can install a switch (or two) to allow you to pick the speed you want to run the machine at. Bear in mind that I'm not too good at mechanics, so I'd have to just run the wires out the side of the expansion slot, so the switch hangs off the side. Not pretty, but functional. Needless to say, locking it at one speed is more attractive. I know I could add these with a dremel and some glue but I am an electronics guy, not a mechanics one .. I'd reeeally rather not delve into that.

PRICES: ( Negotiable! )
    If these seem a bit steep, keep in mind that I must purchase a machine, pay for it, its shipping here, test it, clean it out, buy the parts necessary to modify it, perform the modifications, fine tune the connections, then do a burn-in test, perform final checks, reassemble the machine, pack it and ship it out to you. Needless to say .. a hell of a lot of work.

-- NEW MACHINES --
    $50 + $7 USD Shipping [Genesis Model 1 @ 12.0 MHz]
    $60 + $7 USD Shipping [NES Model 1 @ 2.5 MHz] .. with NEW 72-pin connector

-- YOUR MACHINE, UPGRADED --
    $25 + $7 USD Return Shipping [Genesis Model 1 @ 12.0 MHz]
    $30 + $7 USD Return Shipping [NES Model 1 @ 2.5 MHz] + $10 for new 72-pin Connector, Installation, +$1 for disabling of lockout chip.

To place an order, contact (in order of preference)
    1. AIM (Epicenter713)
    2. E-Mail (epicenter@adelphia.net)
    3. PM

DISCLAIMER! PLEASE READ. There is a remote risk, though very unlikely, that your machine might become inoperable during the 'operation'. Extremely unlikely, but in this event, I will refund your payment. I am not to be held responsible for side effects to this procedure, though the extensive burn-in test should weed out any possibility of problems.
    - Epicenter

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a buying and selling forum.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why yes there is! It's down the hall, first door on your left. You can't miss it.

<ushers this thread out the door to its new home>
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People seem not to frequent those unless they are looking for something in particular .. this is a tie-in to a thread in this forum
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with this being put here. This is just monumental.

Personally, I'd have to wait to get an upgraded console. Personally, a modded Genesis sounds nice, really nice =D

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea maybe a nice overclocked Genesis for an ole pal.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

When you figure out the prices, let us know. I'd definitely buy a Genny (and an SNES should you decide to go that route - the system that needs overclocking the most IMO).

Great idea and best of luck with it!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Approximate prices added to original post .. these are negotiable. Bear in mind these factor in the cost of the machine, additional parts and labor.

New units probably just include the base unit, as they sell for the least on eBay.
    - Epicenter

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bump

Bump. ;D
    - Epicenter

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: OVERCLOCKED CONSOLES for Sale! 8 and 16-bit Systems!

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter
    Hello! Annoyed by the slowdown in a lot of your favorite games? I've found the perfect way to fix it, overclocking the consoles! This is the process of pushing hardware to work beyond its normal limits. I've managed to perfect the process of overclocking the NES/Famicom and MegaDrive/Genesis, and am presently working on the procedure for the SNES/Super Famicom.

For a small price you can have a MegaDrive/Genesis pushed from the normal 7.6 to 12.0 MHz; or an NES/Famicom pushed from 1.79 MHz to 2.5 MHz, eliminating all slowdown in games. Your system will remain 100% stable, run all games properly, and have the same lifespan (it will outlive you, basically. ) Your CPU can not, will not, overheat.

Here's how it works!
    ---
    1. You mail me a payment via Paypal, a personal check, or cash (not recommended unless you disguise it very well.)
    2. I purchase you a console online.
    3. I perform all the modification and tweaking.
    4. The console undergoes extensive testing including 48-hour burn in tests.
    5. I mail the console to you.
    ---
    OR
    ---
    2. You mail me your existing console for the alterations.

These systems will be locked at the new speed, however, for a higher price, I can install a switch (or two) to allow you to pick the speed you want to run the machine at. Bear in mind that I'm not too good at mechanics, so I'd have to just run the wires out the side of the expansion slot, so the switch hangs off the side. Not pretty, but functional. Needless to say, locking it at one speed is more attractive. I know I could add these with a dremel and some glue but I am an electronics guy, not a mechanics one .. I'd reeeally rather not delve into that.

PRICES: ( Negotiable! )
    If these seem a bit steep, keep in mind that I must purchase a machine, pay for it, its shipping here, test it, clean it out, buy the parts necessary to modify it, perform the modifications, fine tune the connections, then do a burn-in test, perform final checks, reassemble the machine, pack it and ship it out to you. Needless to say .. a hell of a lot of work.

-- NEW MACHINES --
    $50 + $7 USD Shipping [Genesis Model 1 @ 12.0 MHz]
    $60 + $7 USD Shipping [NES Model 1 @ 2.5 MHz] .. with NEW 72-pin connector

-- YOUR MACHINE, UPGRADED --
    $25 + $7 USD Return Shipping [Genesis Model 1 @ 12.0 MHz]
    $30 + $7 USD Return Shipping [NES Model 1 @ 2.5 MHz] + $10 for new 72-pin Connector, Installation, +$1 for disabling of lockout chip.

To place an order, contact (in order of preference)
    1. AIM (Epicenter713)
    2. E-Mail (epicenter@adelphia.net)
    3. PM

DISCLAIMER! PLEASE READ. There is a remote risk, though very unlikely, that your machine might become inoperable during the 'operation'. Extremely unlikely, but in this event, I will refund your payment. I am not to be held responsible for side effects to this procedure, though the extensive burn-in test should weed out any possibility of problems.
    Im thinking i want to send you my snes and those tg16's
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mentioned previously that some games, ie. Kirby don't work properly on the NES with overclocking. There are two causes.

1. They use an hblank IRQ to do split screen. the mapper determines hblank by couting clock cycles. By changing the clock cycles, the hblank scanline IRQ will be off.

2. The IRQ is executed on hblank, for example, scanline #22. By the time the code executes to split the screen, the scanline is half drawn and looks incorrect. So, the game will do IRQ for scanline #21, and kill cycles until the scanline is perfectly ready for drawing. Kirby for example does an ldy #9, dey, bne top; loop or something similar.

Here's how to fix it. The cartridge has an M2 pin, which is the CPU clock. Connect that to the normal clock for the IRQ mapper, and connect the new clock to the CPU. This wouldn't fix #2, but should fix #1. The results of #2 would just be a scanline with slightly off pixels (ie. possibly 1/4 or the first pixels on the scanline will be blank, the rest shifted over), but not a huge deal.

Good luck!

Brian
    ---
    http://www.bripro.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am sorry if I was unclear. At the normal 1.79 MHz, Kirby is perfect but very laggy. At 2.3/4 MHz it's got a little lag, still. At 2.7 there is no lag. I've not had any games become unstable or not work at the new clockrates

The NES/Famicom outputs the same signal, regardless of input clock, if I am not mistaken. The output clock from the CPU is approximately 21.48 MHz, IIRC. So, changing input clock would not affect the clockrate received by any hardware relying on a clock signal inside the cartridge. I was not aware of the usage of such hardware design in the cartridges though, thank you for the very useful info I will keep that in mind!
    - Epicenter

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

total newbie with this, so please excuse the questions if you see them as "common knowledge" around here......

would a fixed up famicom system still be able to use things like the DBZ Datach hookup? I am getting one soon but don't have a famicom system yet and your deal seems like a nice option but I don't want there to be any problems since it's basically all I want the famicom system for at this moment....although I may pick up more later.

Also is a famicom system fixed up more then a regular US nes fixed up? or still $60 + $7

thanks !

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dude what the hell, u said in the previous forum u would let all of us know how this procedure is done, we even helped u in getting a snes! Now you are trying to profit of this??? Thats messed up man
    Wolverine

Insert Coin (Level 0) nothingisttrue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i still say this guy needs to test strider for genesis i mean of all the games that should be a must to test with if your overclocking that game would tottally kick even more ass then it already does if it was overclocked the only problem with it is the slowdown.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dude what the hell, u said in the previous forum u would let all of us know how this procedure is done, we even helped u in getting a snes! Now you are trying to profit of this??? Thats messed up man
    Mind being civil for a sec? Thanks, appreciate it. I'm DOING IT for a price. I'm PROVIDING THE INFO for free. I'm building a photographic guide of how to do this on the MegaDrive/Genesis and Famicom/NES, FOR FREE. These things take TIME so hold your bloody horses. I'm offering the SERVICE on the buying and selling forum. Jesus christ.

.. oh, and yes, all accessories like the Datach and such should work just fine.
    .. and I will test Strider and post videos 'before/after' once/if my flash cart ever arrives from ToToTek. 40 days now and nothing, I'm getting pissed off at them, big-time. ;P They are majorly holding up the project.. the overclocking's only part of what I'm working on.
    - Epicenter

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump. I hope people didn't just stop caring. -.-
    But, they probably did.
    - Epicenter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm intrigued. I'm considering how much this appeals to me. As someone (Joe?) said, I'd love to see this done for the SNES.

I assume that sprite flicker is unaffected, right?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would definitly be interested in a Genny, and most definitly a SNES should you go that route. I might even get a NES should cash start coming in, but as I'm currently at a job crossroads this may wait a bit.

If you can, make a site (even a simple one would do) and make a link to it in your sig. Passive advertising, your service should get at least 1-4 requests a month from the DP boards alone. I know when I have the free cash I'd want to do it.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default console overclocking resources

got any? i'm damn interested to see your techniques/methods.