Thread: Why Collecting For Post PSX Systems Sux

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why Collecting For Post PSX Systems Sux

This is just from a collecting standpoint, and not a gameplaying standpoint.

It's BOOOOORING to collect games for the majority of the disc-based gaming systems, and it always will be. What's part of the fun of collecting classic games? The different styles of cartridges and boxes. I mean it's certainly interesting to look at a case full of Atari 2600 games because you'll see like 30 different types of cartridges. What about a case full of PSX games? phh...aside from the early long-boxes which were done away with quickly, the basic PSX collection is just a bunch of jewel cases on a shelf, looking no different than a music collection.

It gets even worse when we get into the DVD era, because now there are more systems that use DVD as the format. The big 3 all use the standard issue DVD case, which I'm sure is money saving to them(while they still charge us $50), but it isn't very flattering, or eye-catching when you look at them.

It's just boring and the uniform conformity of it all is sickening, when you can directly compare it to your collection of classic games sitting next to it, with it's beautiful variety. And the lure of these modern games being cheap in the future means nothing, because you know what? They will still be boring and ugly to look at!

What about collecting loose games for these modern systems? HAHAHA...thats a freaking joke and a half! Ok ok, yes I'm beating my chest about how much better classic games are then the new stuff...so what, it's true. Modern gaming is going to be cool for playing, but when it comes to collecting whats the effing point?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I miss the different kinds of cartridges too. But the Gamecube's games look really cool in some of the carrying cases I've seen (where they carry the discs only). Even PS2 games tend to look better when they're organized in a CD book than they do in theiir DVD boxes. The original Gameboy's carts tend to come in lots of different styles and colors as well, maybe we'll start seeing that with the SP.
    Cinnamon!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually prefer it this way. I collect everything up to and not including the Playstation.

That gives me a finishable goal (a long way down the road maybe, but still finishable) Play the moderns, collect the classics (ok, and play the classics too) That's how it is for me, 16 bit and older only.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Some cover art for boxes/jewel cases is prettier and sometime sbetter then before.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I also prefer it this way. It makes it a bit easier for me to get "everything" (box, game, manual) as I'm not really a completist collector. But really, if you want to still collect boxes and stuff, there's always the handheld systems (though there aren't really "variations," but you can still collect all parts of it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

If I only collected for cart variations i wouldn't collect for the SMS, NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. and I certainly am not picky when it comes to boxes. I just don't collect much for modern systems because they are modern and thus, pricier on average (although 4 dollar Fantavision is sweet).
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Re: Why Collecting For Post PSX Systems Sux

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstarhero
    What about collecting loose games for these modern systems? HAHAHA...thats a freaking joke and a half!
    Actually, I consider this to be perhaps the only plus about the collectability of modern systems: Loose games are hard to come by. They store so well in the plastic cases that more people keep everything that's included.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: Why Collecting For Post PSX Systems Sux

Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunstarhero
    What about collecting loose games for these modern systems? HAHAHA...thats a freaking joke and a half!
    Actually, I consider this to be perhaps the only plus about the collectability of modern systems: Loose games are hard to come by. They store so well in the plastic cases that more people keep everything that's included.
    I agree here. I HATE HATE HATE loose disk games. It pisses me off when I see them out in the wild. I see 3 plain jane cd cases with PS2 games in them and I'm like...wtf...did you just throw out the cases or something?

But I like to collect for modern as well as classic, its not that much pricier if you know where to shop ( www.cheapassgamer.com ).

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Me three. I hate and will not buy "loose" disc based games. The cases are so small and so easily storable that there should be no reason that the cases shouldnt be with the games.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always liked how I went through two cases for my original Half-Life CD and insert...those weren't damaged, but the cases were smashed in rather interesting fashions. Art imitating life, I say.

Collecting GBA stuff should still be pretty hard. Nobody keeps the boxes, unless you're me, that is. I've committed to keeping everything in my (newly bought today) Metroid Zero Mission box in the same order it was when I took it out, even down to the cart wrapper bag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Collecting GBA stuff should still be pretty hard. Nobody keeps the boxes, unless you're me, that is.
    Nope. Me, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    even down to the cart wrapper bag
    Uhh... me too.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well one minor reason I really got into Neo-Geo and LaserActive for the fact that they look gorgeous on display, but I started playing them first before collecting. However, fun factor had to be number one priority, for that reason I collect Dreamcast too, in fact I'm almost done, all selaed plus extra copies for those I want to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Me three. I hate and will not buy "loose" disc based games. The cases are so small and so easily storable that there should be no reason that the cases shouldnt be with the games.
    Agreed. The only "loose" disc-based game I own is Need For Speed: High Stakes for PSX, which I got as a freebie. (I'm looking for a manual and/or back insert, so if anyone has a spare of one or both, PM me.)

I've noticed this happens the most with sports titles. Is this just me?

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Nah, its everything, not just sports titles. BUT the sports titles are the most out there and produced type of game for the system (at least PSOne). So it sure seems like it.

Im to the point where say should i have a disc based game, that is incomplete, i do not count it as part of my collection until it is complete.

And ive been known to keep those little baggies the GB/GBC/GBA games come in, but i have thrown a fair share of those out too.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's always a bonus for me when I score an N64 game and the cart baggie is in there too. If you're gonna collect, you may as well be anal about it!!

I like what was said about "finishable" collections. That's also MY main reason for not collecting anything after the N64, including the PSX. Actually, the only collection that I want as complete as possible IS the N64 stuff, mainly because the library is comparatively small. I collect Genny stuff as I find it, but I don't actively seek it out.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    If I only collected for cart variations i wouldn't collect for the SMS, NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. and I certainly am not picky when it comes to boxes. I just don't collect much for modern systems because they are modern and thus, pricier on average (although 4 dollar Fantavision is sweet).
    Yeah, but having SMS, NES, GEN, SNES all next to eachother on your shelf is a display in variety. PS2, Xbox, GC next to eachother on the shelf does not display any variety at all, it just looks the same, aside from the little system symbol on the spine. Classic stuff doesn't look boring, new stuff does.

What I was trying to point out is that it's really a laughing matter to consider having on display a stack of loose CD's. It's hard to imagine, but that idea is even uglier than a collection of jewel case games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep finding copies of Klonoa for around 15 to 20 bucks, but I keep passing them up because they are loose...and scratched....that bugs the heck out of me

Oh, I also keep everything that comes with GBA games, including the baggies.
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You too?

Klonoa for the PS2 is a game that I've been actively seeking out myself. It's a pisser because most people viewed it as a kids game and bought it for their brats to destroy. Hence every copy looks like shit.