Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Guardian Heroes

The DP Random Game of Slicing and Dicing (tm) has chosen the Treasure-developed Saturn classic, Guardian Heroes.

I'll let the Guide do my talking. What did you think of the game? Write your own mini-review here.

DP Guide sez:

U.S. Game Releases
    Guardian Heroes (Saturn, by Sega) $55/R4 +
    Designed by Tetsuhiko Kikuchi, Masaki Ukyo, Kouichi Kimura. Developed by Treasure. Fighting/Side-Scrolling. Multiplayer adapter compatible. EASTER EGGS: At last, a game that rewards loitering! There is a hidden area in the story mode on level 3, 5 or 12. When you come to the wooden sign, clear the screen of baddies and then just... loiter. The new area will open up for you. If heavy cheating is more your thing, you can also start on any level with level 200 characters in story mode or have all of the hidden characters unlocked in vs. mode by entering the "options" menu, highlight "dip switch", then hold X, B, Z. While holding, press A to enter the dip switch menu and as the screen is opening up press down on the pad. A new option, "debug" will appear. Use it. SANTULLI SLANT: Leave it to the Treasure gang to figure out a way to take a tired genre and add loads of innovative ideas. It's basically a Double Dragon-style game but there are RPG elements, multiple paths, magic, and a slick (up to) six player tournament mode. The characters have the typical atributes (power vs. speed vs. well-balanced) but have a unique anime look about them. The whole game has an anime feel to it, only without the naked schoolgirls and satanic tentacles. [Gr: 7, So: 6, Ga: 8, Ov: 8] Released 04/24/96. #81035.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Guardian Heroes is a very good game. It's pretty fun to send commands to the dead warrior. Having four characters (or five if you beat the game once) to choose from is nice as well. I've played it one player and enjoyed it, but like Gunstar Heroes a bit more.

Still a must have Saturn Game

Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gaurdian Heroes is an AMAZING GAME. Probably one of my fav games for the saturn, good old sidescroller beat em up action . A must MUST have for anyone who owns a saturn.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guardian Heroes is probably my favorite US release for the Saturn. I love the anime feel, I love the RPG aspect to the powering-up, multiple paths, unlockable characters.. what more could you ask for? I think the game is actually better by keeping it a straight 2-d game, and dividing the screen into "planes" where you can move between. There's even some amazing details, like enemies try to flee from the other enemies, some huge sprites, a pretty long story mode, and a nice animated intro too.

My only gripe is that the undead warrior is too powerful as an ally.

The six-player tournament is pure genious as a nice bonus game. We loved playing it together, setting everyone as random characters and duking it out. Sure, some battles would last 3 seconds, while others would take 15 minutes. I can't say enough good about this game.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Guardian Heroes is one damned good game. I'm glad I snagged a copy when I did, because I haven't seen it for sale anywhere for several years.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree this game rocks, I love the mix of side-scrolling action mixed with the leveling up RPG aspect. I haven't played it multi-player, but always wanted to. I can't find enough players to play with me. I can only get so far by myself. btw, I just sold a copy or this, but found another one if anyone is looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This game was a true diamond in the rough. I'm the only one of my friends who even bought a Saturn, so I had no person I could talk to and ask about Saturn games when I first bought it. I picked up this game on clearance purly because the back of the box looked a little intersting gor the price $8.50

This game was I'll say, ALMOST absolutley perfectly executed, the only change that I would make is to add a greater variety of attacks (magic and especially nonmagic). There was a good selection to begin with, don't get me wrong, but I think they couldve added just a few more. With no Streets of Rage ever coming to the Saturn though, the beatem up genre really needed this game.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the greats for Saturn. Tons of replay value...horrible translations, and a darned fun game. Frankly, if you can't afford it, buy the Japanese version. The dialogue is so awful that it's often better to make it up

As for the game itself...a few flaws...but DAMNED fun! I only wish they'd remade it on the DC with the Jet Grind Radio style cel shading.....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is one game I have always wanted ever since it was announced and came out and I could NEVER FIND IT! Granted I've never gone out of my way or anything, but rest assured, had I seen it at EB or Software Etc. for $49.99 brand new, I would've snagged it in a heartbeat. But alas.. it was just never around! I'm sure had I dug hard enough (made calls, checked daily) etc. it would be mine now, but you know.. I'm just a casual shopper. So I've always just casually looked for it. Have I EVER seen one personally? Never. Weird eh?

I guess I could ebay it.. but ehhh.. Someday I'll get it.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

*an ominous voice bellows*

"Rise from your grave, abandoned beat'em-up topic!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm in the "what's the big deal?" camp on this one. Never got into it.

This game set my personal record for the game I've owned the most times and traded away (4). I always seemed to be able to find it cheap, never really liked it, and always got a good trade for it. Bust-a-Groove comes in 2nd (3 times).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep and if you really like it also try out Panzer Bandits on the PSX. It's just like it minus it only has 2 planes instead of 3.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I could find Gaurdian Heroes, but I cant....rats!
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I basically got it for free the other day in an auction I won for Panzer Dragoon saga. Havent had a chance to play it too much but it is hella fun. Already won of my favorite gaming moments happend with this game already. Me and hellvin played co op and i SWEAR we juggled a blue ogre of at least 5 minutes I had tears in my eyes it was so funny.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent game!! I played the hell out of it when I first got it. Not my all time favorite beat em up but in the top ten.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shit!, i never played this game yet...but for the graphics, i think itīs a good one...