Thread: What items do you "Really" need for a 32X to work?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What items do you "Really" need for a 32X to work?

I'm talking about the unit itself, power adapters, cables, metal clips, etc.

From what I understand, the 32X came with these parts:

1. Sega 32X Unit (this is the actual thing that plugs into the Genesis slot)

2. Sega 32X power adapter (Model MK-2103) I'm pretty sure this is the correct adapter for the 32X, but I'm not certain. It's the same power adapter that you use with the Model 2 Genesis and the Game Gear. It has a yellow tip on the end of it. If this is the wrong power adapter please let me know.

3. 2 Metal Plates - These are to be used to make the 32X fit neatly into the Genesis. It also supposedly prevents RF interference. I'm not sure if it really is needed or not. I think you do really need this if you have a Model 1 Genny, but if you have a Model 2 Genny, then you don't need this. Correct me if I'm wrong

4. Genesis to 32X cable - From what I understand, this is the cable that connects to the back of a Model 2 Genesis's video output port, and into the 32X's input port. This is the most "KEY" item in the entire 32X package, as far as I know. The reason that it is the most key item, is because it's pretty easy to obtain just about everything else, but this very specific item, which is more difficult to obtain. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Model 1 to Model 2 Genesis adapter - Now if you have a old Model 1 Genesis, then you need this little adapter to plug onto the end of the Genesis to 32X adapter. Then you can plug it into the old Model 1's video output, and into the 32X's video input. This is also another "key" item, because this little plug is hard to find. If you don't have this cable, then you aren't out of luck, but you will need a Model 2 Genesis. Again correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Video Output Cable for 32X to TV. Now if I'm correct, the video output plug of the Sega 32X, is the same as the Model 2 Sega Genesis. So if you have a video cable for the Model 2 Genesis, then you don't need this cable. Am I right?

Basically, the reason that I'm asking this, is because I'm trying to find out exactly what are the critical items that I need to get, when I get a 32X. I already have a extra AC Adapter for the Model 2 Genny, the same one that is also used for the Game Gear, and I believe the 32X. So I don't think I need any other AC Adapter. I also already have extra Video Cables for a Model 2 Genesis, and I believe that these work on the 32X as well. So I already have those 2 items. Now, regarding the Metal Clips, I don't think that you "REALLY" need these, if you have a model 2 Genny. They would be nice, but they aren't absolutely necessary. I think. I also don't need the Model 1 to Model 2 cable adapter, because I'm going to be using this with a Model 2 Genny. So I believe I have 2 of the needed items already, and that 2 of the items I don't "Really" need.

The Two items that I do actually need, are a 32X unit itself, and the Genesis to 32X connector cable. The Cable that plugs into the back of the Genesis Model 2 Video input, and then goes into the 32x's input slot.

Is this correct? Or am I mistaken? Thanks for any help on this.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Re: What items do you "Really" need for a 32X to w

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    3. 2 Metal Plates -
    You'll get alot of conjecture on whether these really are needed. If you examine the 32X where it plugs into the Genesis (the 'cartridge') you'll notice metal contact squares along the side. These mate with the metal plates when installed so not only are they shielding RF interference they also ground the device as well. Omit them at your own risk.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What items do you "Really" need for a 32X to w

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    3. 2 Metal Plates -
    You'll get alot of conjecture on whether these really are needed. If you examine the 32X where it plugs into the Genesis (the 'cartridge') you'll notice metal contact squares along the side. These mate with the metal plates when installed so not only are they shielding RF interference they also ground the device as well. Omit them at your own risk.

I've always heard that the metal plates weren't an absolute must

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

They're not an "absolute must". The 32X will function just fine without them until something shorts out due to improper grounding. If you're confident that you won't cause enough static electricity to create a problem , play your 32X without the metal plates. Sega put them in there to protect themselves from the vast population that doesn't realize what happens when you shufflle your feet toward your system and insert a 32X cartridge in it the console which is lying there on the carpet.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow theres alot more to the 32x than I thought. I'm going to have to bookmark this one because that was a pretty good explaination.

Also, my roommate told me that it wont work on the model 3 (which is what we have... but the model 1's on the way.... so we will finially get to revive his 32x).

~Tj
    must... collect more.... 7800......help

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, am I right about #2 and #6. Is the Power Adapter the same one as the one for the Model 2 Genny, and the Game Gear? And is the video cable that goes from the 32X to the TV, the same as a model 2 Genny Video cable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, am I right about #2 and #6. Is the Power Adapter the same one as the one for the Model 2 Genny, and the Game Gear? And is the video cable that goes from the 32X to the TV, the same as a model 2 Genny Video cable?
    Both are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I had a quick question that this topic brings up. I have a 32x with a Gen 2, but I don't have the metal plates. Should I worry about getting those plates, and where could I get those plates?
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You don't need them for a Genesis 2, assuming it's the same as the European MD2. What you do need is the plastic spacer that sits between the console and the 32X to hold it in the cart slot properly. I'm not sure if you can get away without that I only have a MD1 for use with my 32X.

You'll also need the power lead and the main part of the AV pass-through cable, but not the secondary bit that fits the MD1.
    Putting together a PAL Mega-CD site at http://www.sega-mega-cd-library.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All you need is your Xbox Anthony1.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pr8cjb
    What you do need is the plastic spacer that sits between the console and the 32X to hold it in the cart slot properly.
    That's not essential either, but is highly recommended if you're using a Megadrive/Genesis 2 - if it's missing the 32X will work, but the merest knock will freeze up/crash whatever game you're playing since it's so unstable.

GrayFox - I *think* I have an extra set of the metal plates. If no-one in the US can help you out, you're welcome to them for the price of postage (assuming I can find them ).