Basically, it's a case of the journey being MUCH better than the destination.

ROX is a puzzle game I've wanted since 2002 and have NEVER once seen on eBay. Is that crazy or what? It came out in late 1998 under the release of Altron. It's a dice puzzler, and I was expecting Devil Dice meets Tetris. I was very excited when I finally got my hands on it, but sad to say, exceptions were nowhere met... and the game is not very good...

I love puzzle games but when a company makes them so complicated, it's no fun IMO.

So I slap Rox in my Saturn and expected a great puzzle game. I was immediately disappointed by its drab colors. Sure puzzlers aren't exactly the "graphic tour-de-forces" of the gaming world but at least most of them are colorful and not an eye sore. I thought "eh, oh well" and then tried to focus on the gameplay.

A dice symbolizing two dropped down. I saw another two dice and put it on top of the other two dice. I expected them to disappear, but no.

I eventually found out how the game works and quite frankly, so much thinking is involved that it ruins the game. I dunno why they didn't just make it "Devil Dice meets Tetris" as that would have been a very fun game.

Here are the combinations of how the gameplay system works to clear:

1 die-one dice piece here-1 die

2 die-two dice pieces here, any number like say, a 5 and 4-2 die

3 die-three dice pieces here, any number like say, a 5, 4 and 1-3 die

And so on, and it works vertically too.

What in THE HELL? That's just too hard.

The other way is this:

3 one's
4 two's
5 three's
6 four's
7 five's
8 six's

Vertical or horizontal.

Overall, I'd say get this only if you're a diehard puzzle fan. I'll try this game again some other day and who knows, maybe I'll get into it, but I know for a fact I much prefer the Puzzle Fighters of this world. It's a shame when those games you wanted for a long time turn out to be less than stellar but you know, you win some you lose some.

Speaking of winning, in the coming weeks I'll make a new thread about some sick Saturn games I discovered. Some of them are rather obscure. Stay tuned!