Thread: Weird PS1 Harry Potter Question...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Weird PS1 Harry Potter Question...

I was at a local Gamestop today looking for PS1 games and found a sealed Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. There were like 5 other copies that were all titled Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. The back card was bilingual but the front instructions were US version. Anyone ever seen this before? The game was definitely still sealed...

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PAL version, maybe? In Europe the book title was Philosopher's Stone, which they changed for the American release for some reason. Which doesn't make an awful lot of sense, since the legendary item has always been the philosopher's stone. Maybe they assumed Americans wouldn't buy something with "philosopher" in the title?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dahne
    PAL version, maybe? In Europe the book title was Philosopher's Stone, which they changed for the American release for some reason. Which doesn't make an awful lot of sense, since the legendary item has always been the philosopher's stone. Maybe they assumed Americans wouldn't buy something with "philosopher" in the title?
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but it's definitely not a PAL case and the instructions actually say Sorcerer's. It's just the backing card and the seal strip that say Philosopher's. It's like they ran out of the US stuff and used PAL.

Just weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

From what I remember, Hollywood thought that the multiple definitions of "philosopher" would confuse American audiences, and simplified it by changing the word to "sorcerer". So I agree with Dahne, it's most likely the PAL release.

Strawberry (Level 2) mizarkgram's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say you stumbled across a Canadian version if it is NTSC, Up here inthe North, all the store carry Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone games. 'Specially if it was bilingual

Now thats Canadian eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PAL releases are easy to distinguish by the bigger case, that would definitely stand out. I just checked cdcovers.cc and they have cd pics of both the sorcerer and the philosopher, SLUS-01415 and SLUS-01417 respectively. Strangely the cds are in exactly same angle but are otherwise very different.

EDIT: Ah, I see mizar, the CD has French text and all.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mizarkgram
    I would say you stumbled across a Canadian version if it is NTSC, Up here inthe North, all the store carry Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone games. 'Specially if it was bilingual

Now thats Canadian eh?
    Good call. I'm guessing it's Canadian since it's NTSC and in a standard case. I wonder how it got to a Pennsylvania Game Stop.