Thread: Atari problems...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Master Chu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari problems...

I'm having problems with my two 2600 systems and i'd like to know if anybody here can help me.

My 4-switch has some kind of problem with the reset switch. It just does'nt work...plain and simple. I know absolutely nothing about repairing anything electronic and there is'nt even a Radio Shack around here...so any trouble-shooting advice would be appreciated.

My heavy sixer on the other hand has what i beleive is some kind of manufacturing mistake. The hole in the top shell of the case--where the game fits in--is too small.
    Games will fit in normally technically, but they fit VERY tight and require a lot of upper body strength just to get out.
    I thought that there was maybe some kind of allighnment problem with the hole in the shell to the hole that goes into the hardware inside, but there was'nt. It's just the top shell...

Considering this is my only playable 2600, and i don't want to scratch my games up getting them in and out, wut should i do ?

Thx,
    Master Chu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Atari problems...

Quote Originally Posted by superstonic
    You can check to see if the solder joints on the switch are cracked, otherwise the only other option would be to replace it. Besides taking one from a parts system or possibly Best Electronics, you won't find an exact replacement anywhere else - but any momentary toggle or push button switch would work.
    So it would require soldering either way then...right ?

All heavy 6ers are like that. Part of the problem is the aluminum housing inside. Older carts usually don't have a problem fitting, but the size of the cart casings produced did change slightly throughout the VCS's life. As you noticed, they will fit but the casing will get scuffed up a bit each time you insert it. If you want to avoid it, either pick up another model or use a multi-cart selector.
    What is a multi cart selector...?

Would there be any ill affects if i just left the screws out and took the top shell off when i use it ? All carts fit fine in the aluminum housing, it's just the shell thats giving me problems...

How much do "darth vaders" cost..i've seen pics and they look really cool. Do they have the same tight-fit probs as a heavy sixer...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chu
    So it would require soldering either way then...right ?
    Yep.
    I'll make do then.....

What is a multi cart selector...?
    Basically a cart port "splitter". It allows you to select between several carts by simply pushing a button. There's a few different types, such as this one:

That is freakin cool! I've never seen one of those before.....thx.

Would there be any ill affects if i just left the screws out and took the top shell off when i use it ? All carts fit fine in the aluminum housing, it's just the shell thats giving me problems...
    If the issue with yours is only the outer casing, then sure - removing it won't cause any problem.].
    Then that's what i'll be doing till i can get something else. I thought that there was maybe interfereance/magnetic waves or something that would affect other electronic stuff in the area if i took the housing off while it was on. I know i read something along those lines online once...are u sure cause i don't want to ruin my other stuff ???

How much do "darth vaders" cost..i've seen pics and they look really cool. Do they have the same tight-fit probs as a heavy sixer...?
    You can get them relatively cheap (I'm guessing maybe around $10 average). The only difference with those is that the wood grain front panel is black. The other models don't have the problem that the heavy 6ers do.
    $10 DOLLARS!!!
    I paid $40 + ship a couple years ago for my now-broken 4 switch.....i feel so used.....
    Just for the record, what are "good" going prices for the rest of the 2600 models in case i come across another one 4 sale online...?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$10 DOLLARS!!!
    I paid $40 + ship a couple years ago for my now-broken 4 switch.....i feel so used.....
    Why? You've been playing it for a couple years now. Would you rather have NOT played it at all for the last couple of years in the hopes of finding one for $10?

Just for the record, what are "good" going prices for the rest of the 2600 models in case i come across another one 4 sale online...?
    $10.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a few bucks to spare I suggest getting another console or 2 just for parts. I kept 3-4 units, some of which are beyond repair, but I have plenty of joysticks and switches and all that. The main atari 2600 I use also has the video mod done to it, so I can get a clear picture. Don't be affraid to open it up and resolder the switch...... it's broke now, you can't make it more broken. Atari 2600 are a piece of cake to work on and pretty cheap.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

If you have no technical experience, this would be a very simple project to start learning (especially how to solder). It may be that the switch is broken, dirty, or solder cracked. Either way, it sound like you will have to take it apart to find out.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!