Thread: I have a Sega 32X, that only works about 40% of the time

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I have a Sega 32X, that only works about 40% of the time

I have 3 Sega 32x systems. Don't ask why. I'm not sure why I have 3 of them. Anyways, two of them work absolutely great, with no problems whatsoever.

One of them, seems to work when it wants to work. Basically on that one, I have to plug in a game several times and turn it on several times, and then it will work. But then sometimes the game will freeze up, or I will get a screen that's all white.

I then turn it off, and unplug the cartridge and plug it back in, and turn it on, and do that a couple of times, and then it works again, but no telling when it will lock up on me or freeze up on me or whatever.

Do I need to open the thing up somehow and clean it better than I'm cleaning it?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before I start to say anything, I would like to point out that it is 1:00 A.M. in the moring where I am and I am tired and about to go to bed. I would wait till tomorrow to post, but I won't be able to until late in the day most likely. I just wanted to point that out in case anything I say may seem funny, out of order, ununderstandable (if that's a word), etc.

OK then, here I go.

The way that the 32X was designed, pretty much all of the systems out there have an internal design flaw that will cause certin parts to become loose causing the system to not function properly or not at all. I will attampt to tell you how to, step-by-step, fix this problem.

I would like to point out that I have done this on it seems like at least a dozen systems with a 100% good results rate, but I would also like to point out that it has been a few months sine I last did it and I do not have a open 32X here that I can use as refrence to what I am saying (so I might say something incorect).

First off, get out your system, a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers.

Ready? Here we go!

Flip the 32X upside down.
    Remover spacer, if you have one on.
    Take screwdriver.
    Use screwdriver to remove screws holding casing together.
    Keep screws togeter and set down screwdriver.
    Flip system back over.
    Remove the top half of the system's plastic casing.
    Now remove the metal 'rf static' or whatever it's called shield. (I can not remember if there are any screws that you have to remove to do this, but on most other Sega systems I know you do); You Only Have To Remove The Shiled On The Top Half Of The Circit Board.
    Below the cart input, I think you should now be able to see two white strips that are like an inch wide, that have wires in them, and at the end are pluged into the circit board like a cart would be in the cart input (I tried to describe them well from memory).
    Take plyers.
    Remove the ends of the strips that plug into the board like carts from the cart input resembling things using the plyers; Be Careful In This Step Not To Damage, Dirty, Or Mess Up Anything.
    Set plyers down.
    Put them back in now, Carefuly, Evenly, Firmly, Etc.

If you are confident that you put them back in good, proced to put the system back together.

Put the metal sheet on.
    Now the plastic case.
    Screws.
    Spacer, if ya got one.
    Finished!

Hook you system back... I just thunk somsthin here; :/ heck I'll say it in a sec when I am done telling you what to do...Where was I? Oh ya. Hook your system back up and if you did everthing right, you should be able to use your system properly and~

~Game ON!!!

Now let me say somethin else. Near the end of this I thunk sumthin. WHY THE HECK DON'T YOU JUST USE ONE OF YOUR WORKING SYSTEM!!!? It Took Me Like 20+ Mins To Type This, while I am tired and gotta get up early tomorrow, And You Coulda Just Used A wOrking System!!!!...I...Wha...Soo...Cant' Think! To Tired or something!

:/ x_x , I guess...

Well I guess that's kind how I fell, but one felling is greater than all of these, I guess, kinda, eh, i dunno. But I am going to go and surrender to that felling now enyway.

Goodby for now!

SuperShark

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I'm also even more ticked now because that stupid Mesta giver for when you submit thing only gave me 35 for that hopefully helpfull information when I have typed other stuff that is about half that lenght and gotton over 50!!! Blasted Mesta Thing!!! CURSE YOU...You... MESTA...Giving...Thing! Anyone know why it has been giving less and less lately anyway?

Oh well. Guess I stop ranting and stuff and go to bed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, actually, after doing this post, I decided to give the 32X another cleaning.

I cleaned the contacts where the 32X plugs into the Genesis, and I cleaned the contacts where the carts plug into the 32X.

Now it seems to be working better. I haven't seen any problems yet, but I'm pretty sure I did this before, and I still had problems.

So what I'm going to do, is to use this 32X for awhile and see if I have any problems with it. If I don't then I know that it just needed to be cleaned better.

Thanks for that detailed guide. If it starts acting up again, I'll try that.

As for the reason why I don't just use my 32X's that are working fine, well actually, I just want to keep one 32X, and sell or trade the other two, but I want to try to get this tempermental one working great before I sell or trade it to somebody.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW! uh, wow! All of that to be told that it is just a cleaning problem...well, WOW! Well, Please God, let there be someone out there that has a messed up system that this fix will fix that will see this and fix their system with my tiring step-by-step guide!... A Cleaning Problem!... I mean... WOW!.................

COULDN'T YOU USE COMMON SENSE AND CLEAN THE SYSTEM AND GAMES FIRST BEFORE YOU POST ON HERE ASKING FOR HELP IN GETTING A SYSTEM OR GAME TO WORK!!!!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!? ANTHONY!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!?

WOW! Sorry about that...But a Cleaning Problem!?...WOW!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am at a loss of words!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Open up the 32x, unplug and replug the white ribbon cables at both ends. It only takes 14 words to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Here is a link to a post that has a link to a site wich has a guide to fixing 32x systems:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...134&highlight=

It has pictures. So that'll help more.

If you didn't understand what i said, read it again.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OH MY GOD!!! I JUST WANT TO COME OVER THERE AND SLAP YOU! DAD GUM! IN ONE WAY YOU MAKE ME FELL RETARTED, BUT IN ANOTHER, OTHER PEEPS MAY NOT KNOW WHAT "THE WHITE RIBONS" ARE AND NEED HELP!!! I DID A GOOD, AND COMPLETLY USLESS FOR NOW, THING!!! YOU SHUT UP!

YA, YOU SHUT UP!!!

SHUT UP AND TOUCH THE MONKEY!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Calm down!!!

The site might not even be there in the future!

And some people might be TOO lazy to even use the link, and STILL use your guide!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by john_soper
    Open up the 32x, unplug and replug the white ribbon cables at both ends. It only takes 14 words to say.
    Reseat internal ribbon cables. (4 words)

I still need a drink...'

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry Slate. I guess you posted as I was still typing and posting myself. I was actually talking to john_soper. Ya john_soper, I was talking to you! And now that you have posted Lost Monkey, with your 4 word "Reseat internal ribbon cables" reasponse, HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD KNOW WHAT THE INTERNAL RIBBON CABLES ARE AND HOW TO RESET THEM AND STILL BE ASKING FOR HELP ON THIS WEBSITE!!!? Huh? How Many? Huh? Huh? Ya, that's what I thought.

Now then, ~

~ The Monkey! You WILL Shut Up And Touch It!

And I'm NOT Talking About You Lost Monkey. I am talking about THE MONKEY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Apology accepted, SuperShark.