Thread: Can somebody build me this?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can somebody build me this?

I was wondering if somebody could build me this, it might be a fun project for you to test your engineering skills

http://www.xerxes3rd.net/projects/Ge...oller_on_Xbox/

how much would it cost for somebody to build me one of these?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Your URL doesn't work. Try THIS

It's a pretty nifty project, but I can't help thinking that it's a bit arse-about-face. Surely there is a much easier way to get a Mega Drive pad working on an Xbox? Why can't you just connect the respective coloured Mega Drive wires to the required Xbox ones?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That wouldn't be too tough to build, just kinda time consuming from having to open the controllers and run the wires and stuff. But the reason you can't just connect one wire to the other is because they use TOTALLY different protocols... The Genesis uses some sort of multiplexer to transmit all of the parallel inputs (buttons) to a single, or maybe a few serial data wires on the controller port. The xbox sorta does the same thing, except it uses the USB protocol, which is nothing like the one that the Genesis uses.

It's probably possible to put an xbox controller chip inside the Genesis controller, but that would only make a nicer looking a controller, that wouldn't make it much easier.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the main reason that this method is used, is because when you are using the XBOX emulators, you need to use a regular XBOX controller to access all the menu's, etc, etc, but then the Genesis controller is for when you are actually playing the games.

My dream one day is to be able to use a real Genesis, SNES and NES controller on the XBOX.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before I read everyones posts I'd like to say, HOLY SNAP THAT'S COOL! I acatually recently tried to bust open a Genny controller and a Xbox controller and basicly mix and match the wires in the cord to be able to use a Genesis controller on my Xbox for my Sonic Mega Collection +, but after a while I tried some other tings unsucessfuly as I did not have nor could I find enough good info on controller pinouts and what each colored wire is for, and I eventualy gave up. Still got my controllers busted open and lying around! I'll look at this more and maybe try it! If someone elese does it though and wouldnt mind possibly making and selling me one, that would be sweet to! BTW, if anyone does this or gets one of these, van they tell me what each button on the Genesis controller converts to on the Xbox, Like does A=A C=Left Trigger, whatever the heck, you get the point. I'll be watching this for a while and will now go and read the other posts and junk.
    I will get around to editing this thing again.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been thinking of doing this, I'm just keeping a look out for a cheap xbox controller (I don't want to hack up one of mine).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that would be awesome idea, probaly not to expensive considering what needs to be done on it

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is exactly what I tried to do at some point, but I could not get enough help if finding out what each indivudal wire was for on the Genesis controlers or the Xbox controllers. I still have a Genesis controler I picked out lying in my room with the cord sawed open and the wires striped, but I do not know what each diffrently colored wire is used for. And I have a Xbox controler who's cord and possibly more (I had a few diffrent variations to my project idea) I planed on using for this project in my room lying around in multiple pieces.

If I could get more info and help then maybe I could try again.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperShark
    That is exactly what I tried to do at some point, but I could not get enough help if finding out what each indivudal wire was for on the Genesis controlers or the Xbox controllers. I still have a Genesis controler I picked out lying in my room with the cord sawed open and the wires striped, but I do not know what each diffrently colored wire is used for. And I have a Xbox controler who's cord and possibly more (I had a few diffrent variations to my project idea) I planed on using for this project in my room lying around in multiple pieces.

If I could get more info and help then maybe I could try again.
    you are going to have to open the genesis controller, remove the cord completely and solder a new wire, from a new cord, to each button (don't forget ground).

then you want to open the xbox controller and solder a plug (that matches the cord you made for the genesis controller) to the button points on the pcb, put it all back together and test it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

i can do it, but itll cost you about $100 for each controller if you want me to. it's time consuming..
    ill do whatever retro (non-analogue) controller you want on whatever console, and with a button configuration of your choice. however i may not be able to wire up a dpad as the directions on an analogue stick.. on the other hand, i might be able to.. but probably not.

if you do want one done, all you gotta do is have the money, ill get the controllers etc.

i may even be able to add a rumble feature!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

oh, and mine wont plug into another controller, itll go right into the console.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$100 DOLLARS!!!!

Well, I guess that if sumone cant do anything like this themselves, And If It Has A rumble Feature, It might be worth it to some. Too bad I don't got the money to pay you for this though.