Are they official Nintendo cables or a third party?
How is Digital Out = analog? Isn't progressive scan a Digital TV standard?

Agree with guy who said Component is not necessary. S-video looks just as good for these blurry/pixelated games.
There are NO third party GC component cables. The plug of the cable that connects to the GC's digital video port contains a chip (which only Nintendo makes) that converts the digital video stream from the 'cube to analog component video. Component video is an analog connection. With component video the 'cube can output 480p resolution (aka "Extended Definition" or "Progressive Scan") with select games. For a list of 480p capable games check out www.hdtvarcade.com (of my twelve GC games, only one, Super Monkey Ball, does not support 480p)

For these games you'll have to activate 480p by holding down the B button at startup and select "Yes" at the prompt "activate Progressive Scan mode?". Of course you'll need a 480p capable "EDTV" or "HDTV" to do this.

Yes, the picture DOES look sweet if you have a decent TV. Even if you're for whatever reason (regular TV, non-480p game) stuck with 480i (standard) resolution, there is a subtle but noticable step up in picture quality from S-Video.

I bought my cables from Lik-Sang for $35. They are definately worth it.