Thread: Is this considered illegal?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snout
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    This discussion is still going? Hehe wierd.

Snout: Awww, thanks Im very flattered that you join the board just for me. Isnt that sweet all?
    Im not english if thats what you wonder. 40 in IQ? What are you talking about. You must have a IQ of 60 to open a door and yes, I can open a door. So since you didnt know this I guess your IQ is lower than 40.
    Apparently you didnt read the whole thread so I have no idea what point you where trying to make. I mean, joining a board just to post a totaly useless and pointless comment, very wierd.. I agreed with something and disagreed with something, you have a problem with that? Tip, read all before you make a fool out of yourself, again.
    Unless you can contribute something to this discussion without posting useless "attempts" to diss me you can just keep quiet. Pathetic "attempt" of dissing me btw, got a good laugh tho hehe Better luck next time.
    It's funny how you spent 4 hours editing your reply, couldn't get it right the first time could you? Well have fun in your life, I'm sure it'll be a short one...Ignorance really is bliss for you..go spend the rest of your life figuring that one out.
    I didnt use 4 hours. I just decided to remove some stuff that might have been alittle to strong for a youngster like you You should be careful what you say, you might end up dead and get a short life yourself. Again, your "insults" are phatetic. Wont even call them insults thats why I use ", so weak hehe. And yet, you didnt answer what point you were trying to make. So again, if you dont have anything real to contribute to this discussion except threadcrapping please be quiet.
    Anything more on your heart dear? Send me a PM if there something you want to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread has gotten ugly. Not to single out anyone in particular (other than he whom I addressed in a previous post), but some of you people have no sense of shame with respect to the tactics you adopt to 'win' an argument. Save that stuff for the forums at GameFAQs and Gamestop.

Learn some tact and cease your pretentious attempts to intimidate anyone who dares to disagree with your opinion.

Maybe its time for a mod to lock this forum...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thread did start ugly (me, goatdan and kevin_psx was fighting), but then it went back to normal and a serious discussion. I havnt followed the last part of the discussion, just saw that snout came with a crazy, meaningless comment and started ripping shit up again. For what? I just had my opinions and obviously he didnt agree with them. Thats fine of course, but starting with the shitthrowing? Whats the deal with that?
    I could just have ignored him tho. Wonder why I even spent time to comment on a stupid post from him.

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Maybe its time for a mod to lock this forum...
    Agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    1) This is a gift, not a sale. No money is involved.
    2) This is direct theft, compaired to indirect on-line piracy (Still illegal).
    Extra Credit: No, it doesn't.

There is a difference to some degree. Money.
    What is the money difference? Is it important that, in one case, someone was trying to get money for the item while in the other case, someone wasn't?

Obviously, you don't think that it should be illegal to sell used games. Most sane people would agree with that. That's why copyright law since time immemorial has had a "first sale" clause - once a copyrighted work has been sold, it can be sold again or given away (even in a modified form)*. The main point I was trying to make is that, in the case of making a copy of software you don't own, there is no first sale. You are creating a brand new copy of a work, that hasn't gone through a sale process intended by the copyright holder. This is the big difference between buying a game used and downloading a copy of it.

Look, I obviously care about this because I make my living writing software and if everyone had your view, I wouldn't make any money. In the case of old software that is no longer being supported by the copyright holder (called, colloquially, abandonware), I don't really have a problem with those who download because they can't find it. That said, I still think it is better to buy it from a store if possible because those shops provide a valuable service.

And don't try to kill me in logic, you won't win.
    I promise, I wasn't trying to kill you with anything!

*There are companies (and lawyers) out there who are attempting to remove this right (passing on legally obtained copyrighted material, whether modified or not). They attempt to do this with various licenses, and it is unclear whether they are on any legal ground to do this. I think they are being idiots.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. Let's call it a day on this one, shall we?

Oh, and one more thought to ponder, from very early in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    Any conversation that sparks a debate on this matter will ultimately tell more about the person than anything else.