Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The list of washed up VG icons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought "washed up" meant that the character's series had gone downhill...not stalled completely. Crash the Bandicoot took a major dive, but the Streets of Rage team? Nah, the series simply died (at least for a while).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pitfall Harry. He's like Clark Gable during his last 10 years - a has-been who no longer draws the crowds to see his work.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

There are plenty out there, but i have to disagree with some of the ones listed here..

Pitfall Harry, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mario, Frogger, Spyro, Crash, DK.. None of these guys are retired from gaming yet..

In my opinion, Characters who are REALLY retired are ones like KC Munchkin. Bounty bob is still kicking, Though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    There are plenty out there, but i have to disagree with some of the ones listed here..

Pitfall Harry, Pac-Man, Sonic, Mario, Frogger, Spyro, Crash, DK.. None of these guys are retired from gaming yet..
    But that's the thing. "Washed-up" means you're still trying to make a comeback, but it hasn't happened (usually because the actor/company needs the revenue). "Retired" would seem to suggest that the series/character left the scene on a high note.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

ughhhh, Sonic, Pac-Man

and umm....yeahhh thats all I can think of

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

I would've said Dig Dug, but he has a new DS game, so no.

The Chinese Hero guys (or Kung Fu Heroes, though they really aren't popular) haven't seen a new title in years, just a couple of remakes on GBA.

When's the last time Kunio had a new game, and not remakes?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No but some should retire. You see the last Pitfall Harry or Crash or Pac-man game? TRASH. As I said - like Clark Gable in his last 10 years - one piece of crap after another.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    Mario has really been washed out since GameCube needed some titles to rake in some more dough...
    I'm so sick of Mario that I refuse to buy any game with him in it, unless it's a new SMB game, of course.

As far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been a Mario game since SMB4.
    You're missing out on some tremendous games because of your pride, then.

Mario isn't washed up. Sonic isn't washed up. Bomberman isn't washed up. They're all churning out smash hits every year. Just because their single best game might be behind them doesn't make them washed up. That's like saying Russell Crowe has been washed up since Gladiator, even though he's done other great moves like A Beautiful Mind and Cinderella Man since then.

How about Alex Kidd and Wonderboy? They're probably still holding out for a "Best of the Master System" collection on Gamecube so they can get royalties checks.

Turok is a great example. He really did kinda fade out slowly along with the sales of his last couple sequels. I never saw the draw of Turok anyway.

Bonk needs to try a comeback. So the last couple outtings on the SNES failed. Big deal. Now the technology is better, which opens the door for a completely fresh look for Bonk.

Spyro the Dragon...oh dear god what happened...
    What happened is that the company that invented Spyro decided to stop making Spyro games after Spyro 3 so that they could start work on Jak and Daxter. The Spyro games that have could out since then are a result of other companies trying to cash in on the old license, which is why the quality of the series has gone down. It's not a coincidence.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why did they never make another Tombi [AKA Tomba to the US] game? It's unfortunate.

Ditto Colony Wars, except I know the reason for that.

A lot of VG characters have had their careers cut short. Which in another way of thinking, may not be so bad, as they don't descend into "jumping the shark" like so many other long running series.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark III
    -Axel and the rest of the Streets of Rage crew.
    Come back Streets of Rage, we miss you.
    Absolutely. On a side note, has anyone realized that when EA and Rockstar make brawlers (LOTR & The Warriors, respectively), they are critically acclaimed, but all the others "lack innovation" or are "repetitive"? Ridiculous. I wish SOR would return. Sega took a fantastic game, Final Fight, and made it even better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    No but some should retire. You see the last Pitfall Harry or Crash or Pac-man game? TRASH. As I said - like Clark Gable in his last 10 years - one piece of crap after another.
    I'm glad we agree on this point.

If they're still in gaming they can be "washed up."

If they're retired, they are not washed up - but gone. Think of it as you would an actor.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho
    As much as it pains me, Mega Man is done (and has been since after the release of the last Mega Man games that held my attention: 7 and X4).
    Amen to that brother.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=177

You know, as disgusting as that is, it's pretty true when I think about it. x_x
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

All you Nintendo fans should be ashamed of yourselves for forgetting the most forgotten nintendo 'mascot' ever....

Stanley the Bugman!!! (DK3)

1 game, and the man falls off the face of the earth. Never to be seen again. EVER.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Poor Gex coulda been a contenda.

Crash Bandicoot...what have you done for us lately?

Earthworm Jim...now being used for bait?

Parappa the Rapper...Vanilla Ice?
    hit the nail on the head for me.

pretty sure these have all been said, but...

abe from oddworld...couldn't find another job, so he went back to the mines

the 7up spot...now a mascot for the bubbly

chip...stuck in the electronics world forever

keen...did he ever make it home?

cheetahmen...Out-heroed by the TMNT and became members of the "mystery men" with ben stiller

and finally james bond, james bond, james bond, and, you guessed it, james bond
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie_says_relax
    With all the recent "Imagine" series (which are pretty much VERY sexist representations of what "young girls" should "enjoy" doing - Imagine Cooking, Imagine Fashion, Imagine Babiez) I was thinking that they should just combine them all into one title. It would be much more fun ...
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kingBabies.jpg

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Poor Duke Nukem...damn 3D Realms
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Randar? He was the ubiquitous cameo actor, but now he's nowhere to be seen.
    Another one who has been free-falling since the 80s is Rockford.

However, old video game stars never die, they just turn into mobile games. Both Wonderboy, Rockford and Repton sustain themselves on a bare minimum income level thanks to mobile gaming. Alex Kidd can sustain his beer habit only due to his keyring profits in Shenmue.
    Only some old stars like Horace are out in the cold, seemingly never to come back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

John Romero is my nomination for biggest washed up video game icon. Oh.. wait.. you were talking about actual in-game characters.. weren't you? I thought you meant another kind of icon.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Some of Sega's other fallen icons:

The E-Swat police [E-Swat]: Sure, they stole most of Joe Musashi's moves, but that armor rocked ass. Wonder if Robocop did them in?

Sketch Turner [Comix Zone]: Think he's living with Bubba and Stix in a one bedroom on the lower east side. Makes a living doing caricatures but still hopes to make it big on the "street art" scene.

Ali [Beyond Oasis] : Thought he was a shoe in for Disney's Aladdin and the King of Thieves but his audition didn't work out. They wanted someone less "ethnic" looking.

The Daytona Car [Daytona USA]: Now working as a Pace car for the class C weekend races at the Nashville Speedway. Nuff said.

Honey/Candy [Fighting Vipers]: Seen Requiem for a Dream? Yeah, it’s about like that.

Dynamite Duke [Dynamite Duke]: The last known contact from Duke was from a "gun for hire" ad in the back of Guns and Ammo Sept/97. Presumed dead or, at the least, very, very hungry.

Stevedore [Shove It!]: Arguably the most successful of the lot. Through hard work and careful planning, he scrounged up enough dough to drop on a new ride. Two days later, after a drunken bender, he was involved in a triple vehicular homicide on the Jersey Turnpike. Stevie-D (as he’s now known) was given three consecutive life sentences. However, during his rehabilitation he’s published a series of children’s books written to keep kids away from "Shoving It!".
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook