Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst looking Game Console

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont think it has been mentioned but the original DS was pretty fugly. Not worst, but certainly when compared to the GB Micro or DS Lite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Best:

-X-Box 360 (Elite) - I always loved the unique shape of the system, and the black just makes it muhc cooler. The red one looks badass too.

-Nintendo DS - Very sleek, I love the design.

Worst:

-PS3 - Looks like a grill, I think it looks really lame.

-SNES - Like many people mentioned in this thread, it honestly just looks really stupid o_O I still love the system though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The mushroom was pretty ugly, but I still say Jaguar CD was worse. It looks like a toilet. And considering the library, it's probably best used as a toilet too.
    I totally agree, but I was trying to stick with what I own or used at some point. I'm confident there are far worst units out there I'm just not aware of.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best? I dunno, I love the way the CDX looks, and I really like the way the Super Famicom looks too. I'd also add the model 2 genny. It looks super-fine when compared to that abortion of a console the model 1 genny.

Worst? The Supergrafx with the cd-rom attachment. It goes from bad to worse with that sucker stuck on its ass

Last edited by c0ldb33r; 03-29-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

The mushroom was pretty ugly, but I still say Jaguar CD was worse. It looks like a toilet. And considering the library, it's probably best used as a toilet too.
    The Angry Video Game Nerd took that quite seriously. lol
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Best? I dunno, I love the way the CDX looks, and I really like the way the Super Famicom looks too. I'd also add the model 2 genny. It looks super-fine when compared to that abortion of a console the model 1 genny.

Worst? The Supergrafx with the cd-rom attachment. It goes from bad to worse with that sucker stuck on its ass

I really don't get it, why do people on this site dislike the SuperGrafx's design? I'm far from the only person who thinks it looks really cool...

Still though, I would agree that it looks worse with the Super CD drive. The colors don't even match, and the thing just looks kind of awkward.

But hey, at least it's better than how it looks connected to a standard PC Engine CD unit. I mean, with that one you have to connect it via a cord, it's not even connected by a direct connection or base unit or anything...

Of course, if you have a Duo (or standard TG16/PCE plus CD) also, you don't really HAVE to attach the SuperGrafx to anything, given that no SuperGrafx games use either the CD drive or saving. Those would only be needed for PCE/PCECD backwards compatibility, and there are a lot of other ways to play those games. But still, if you get it modded to support US HuCards, as the only way to play all TG16/PCE/CD/SGX games, function-wise, it's pretty cool. And as I said, it does beat out the SuperGrafx + PCE CD drive, at least.

Of course, the remaining question is how much it's worth to buy a fairly expensive system with only seven games... even if they're all at least good, and the system looks really cool, that's a lot of money for very few titles. But anyway, the number of games released for the system, etc, really shouldn't matter in a discussion of aesthetics... just design, style, etc. should.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    I probably agree, but really they're both pretty bad looking. I like the look of the Genesis 2 + Sega CD 2, but the 32X... not so much. But still, I would give 'the mushroom' an edge over 'the toilet seat', I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

It seems that most console addons rarely do anything for the cosmetic appearance of the system. Most times it is just acceptable looking (sega CD), sometimes it is terrible(sega 32x).
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One that hasn't been mentioned yet: the Amstrad GX4000. Pretty obscure, it was only released in Europe, and only supported for a short time. It was an 8-bit console, very similar to the CPC in hardware, released in 1990. Needless to say, it didn't compare favorably to the Mega Drive (although it did have a larger color pallette) and only lasted a short time. It's also hideous:

Another obscurity: the Master System Girl. This is a rare variant of the SMS released only in Brazil. It's an alternate version of their Master System Compact, which was a small console with the controller built-in, that transmitted to a TV via a wireless RF signal. The regular version is already kind of weird and ugly looking, but the Girl version is, of course, pink. And it ain't pretty:

Last edited by j_factor; 03-30-2009 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Those controllers vaguely remind me of the Turbografx16's.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    It seems that most console addons rarely do anything for the cosmetic appearance of the system. Most times it is just acceptable looking (sega CD), sometimes it is terrible(sega 32x).
    Yeah. The 64DD is one of the only exceptions to that, it looks pretty cool under the N64, and matches the system design and style perfectly... makes the N64 look complete, really. After that, the Sega CD is about as good as you'll get, I think. Usually you're right, addons make systems look worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Yeah. The 64DD is one of the only exceptions to that, it looks pretty cool under the N64, and matches the system design and style perfectly... makes the N64 look complete, really. After that, the Sega CD is about as good as you'll get, I think. Usually you're right, addons make systems look worse.
    I have heard a lot of people say they like the Game Boy player on the cube but I think it totally lopsides the appearance of the system. The symmetrical appearance of the grey area surrounding the controller inputs vs the black area surrounding the grey area at the front of the system is wrecked when that GB Player is attached.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I have heard a lot of people say they like the Game Boy player on the cube but I think it totally lopsides the appearance of the system. The symmetrical appearance of the grey area surrounding the controller inputs vs the black area surrounding the grey area at the front of the system is wrecked when that GB Player is attached.
    I think the GB Player looks great, actually. It makes the system a true cube, which is pretty cool... the system is one inch wider than it is high on its own, and the GB Player adds that inch to make it a cube. Cool.

It is too bad that they only offered it in black, so anyone with any other color GC will have a pretty weird looking system, but as mine is black, that doesn't matter so much to me at least. But that is really the one flaw. I've never minded at all that the controller input area isn't symmetrically positioned anymore.

Function-wise I was somewhat disappointed by it, though. It should have had Super Game Boy compatibility; the fact that it didn't really is too bad. It's just a GBA on a TV... no options like special borders, exclusive features, multiplayer, anything like what the SGB had. It was a definite missed opportunity. But it is the one easy way to play GBC or GBA games on a TV, so it's a must-own accessory anyway.

Insert Coin (Level 0) boogiecat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    boogiemeow

One that hasn't been mentioned yet: the Amstrad GX4000. Pretty obscure, it was only released in Europe, and only supported for a short time. It was an 8-bit console, very similar to the CPC in hardware, released in 1990. Needless to say, it didn't compare favorably to the Mega Drive (although it did have a larger color pallette) and only lasted a short time. It's also hideous:

Another obscurity: the Master System Girl. This is a rare variant of the SMS released only in Brazil. It's an alternate version of their Master System Compact, which was a small console with the controller built-in, that transmitted to a TV via a wireless RF signal. The regular version is already kind of weird and ugly looking, but the Girl version is, of course, pink. And it ain't pretty:

The Amstrad looks like a big crappy console(it is a crappy console!!)...The MS Girl was awful....Thank goodness Sega didn't made a Mega Jet Pink version!!

The GBA Player on the Gamecube wasn't bad..
    .................................................. ......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

BEST - Easily, the original woodgrain 2600, so sexy.

WORST - NES Toaster. ITS A GRAY BOX PEOPLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People are going to kill me, but I never really dug wood grain on consoles. I think it looks ugly

As for the GB Player on the cube, I really like it. It makes the cube a cube. I dig it! But you've got to keep a game in it, because without a game in it, the gaping hole is pretty unattractive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really wonder what Amstrad were doing releasing the GX 4000. Did they honestly think it could compete in the market place? This is one of the reasons why Sir Alan really pisses me off on The Apprentice; he acts so high and mighty like he's the best businessman in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    Did they honestly think it could compete in the market place?
    That same question can be asked of many system making companies back then...
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    I really wonder what Amstrad were doing releasing the GX 4000. Did they honestly think it could compete in the market place?
    I guess they figured fans of the CPC line (which was decently popular in Europe) would automatically buy any extension thereof. They also released a new CPC computer model alongside the GX4000 that was compatible with the cartridges. But it also failed. The 8-bit technology was just too old by that point, despite the enhancements. It was cheaper than the Mega Drive and Amiga, so it could be argued as having gone after a budget market, but the Commodore 64 and Sega Master System were better options for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The ugliest thing about the GX4000 was its library of cassette refugees and not enough original software to take advantage of the color palette. Personally, I think the console's actual design looks like a boss out of Star Soldier, and I sorta like that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the jaguar is pretty bad. Especially with the disk drive on it. On the other hand, the slim ps2 looks real nice. It hides seamlessly with my other black electronics.