Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    The guy has a point. Not about the whole spitting thing...but about their trashy products.

Save your money guys...it's nothing but a piece of junk.

thank you.
    Sorry guys, removed the nastiness from my previous post. Moment of dumb there.

I'm fairly harmless, was just frustrated with how they misrepresented their dedication to following up on their promises.

Again, my apologies.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by jm77 View Post
    Sorry guys, removed the nastiness from my previous post. Moment of dumb there.

I'm fairly harmless, was just frustrated with how they misrepresented their dedication to following up on their promises.

Again, my apologies.
    That's fine.

As a longtime clone collector, all I can impart is that promises should be taken with a grain of salt. Clones will never be perfect, at least there hasn't been a perfect one yet.

There will always be a handful of games that don't work, and that list typically includes something high-profile/desirable.

There will always be a few hardware/engineering issues like audio/video oddities and there will always be variances in how end-users compare them to the "real thing".

In the case of the SupaBoy, the audio issues in the first production run and early revisions were a major concern and caused the community and the Hyperkin reps that we spoke with ALL a lot of frustration.

It looks like that sound issue is finally resolved, but ultimately this thing may still not be for everybody. There's good stuff in this thread to help people out with their decision making process.

To some The SupaBoy is fine and serves as a decent portable consolized SNES, to some it's a novelty for their collection, but nothing about it, no matter how good or bad should inspire the level of vitriol that I've seen some people express.

While there are some people that wish these things would go away, personally I'd rather these companies both here and in Hong Kong keep making these things and keep revising flaws in future versions based on community input from people like us (or through returns at retail).

Thanks for the apology though.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-29-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a Supaboy from a local shop last week. It was in the original plastic packaging, not a carboard box. I think this means its an original version.

The sound is fine. There is a slight (and I mean slight) noise that I hear when the system is on, but it is so minor I really can't complain about it.

The controls are fine, but the d-pad isn't great. It's functional though.

My copy of Super Mario RPG works. I'm not sure why some people say that it doesn't.

It's not a bad piece of hardware. It isn't perfect, but I've played more SNES this weekend than I have in a long time. I beat Star Fox on the Supaboy yesterday and set a few time records in Super Punch Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    My copy of Super Mario RPG works. I'm not sure why some people say that it doesn't.
    You probably have a version 1.0.0 or whatever the first run of Super Mario RPG was, those don't have the same authentication protection in them that later, more common runs have. SNES clones typically work okay with the V1 but not the later versions and I don't believe that there are any physical external indicators on the cartridge to indicate the version number. You have to either boot up the game successfully or dump the rom to tell which version it is.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-29-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not 100% but I think you can tell the version of SMRPG by the number stamped on the back label. If it's stamped with an A followed by a number (1?) I believe that means it's version 1.1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, other than the 2 links given a little earlier, does anyone know of any more places to be able to purchase/order the newest version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Bardoly View Post
    So, other than the 2 links given a little earlier, does anyone know of any more places to be able to purchase/order the newest version?
    http://stoneagegamer.com/

Great service from Stone Age Gamer, I highly recommend!