Thread: Cleaning NES games with sandpaper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I'd only use sandpaper if the corrosion was really really bad. Otherwise Q-tips and alcohol all the way. Still doesn't work, then I open it up and use an eraser.

And even if the alcohol does seep into the board, it will evaporate away immediatly afterwards. The place I work builds circuit boards and we run them through a regular dishwasher to remove solder flux so even whatever tiny bit of water is left behind after the alcohol evaporates won't be a problem.

The only reason NES carts say not to clean them with alcohol is so you buy their special cleaner, which (surprize!), is mainly alcohol.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default copper polish

I've stopped using alcohol and started using copper polish. If you were polishing up a copper vase, you would not use alcohol, so I don't think it would be the best for copper contacts either.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I'd only use sandpaper if the corrosion was really really bad. Otherwise Q-tips and alcohol all the way. Still doesn't work, then I open it up and use an eraser.

And even if the alcohol does seep into the board, it will evaporate away immediatly afterwards. The place I work builds circuit boards and we run them through a regular dishwasher to remove solder flux so even whatever tiny bit of water is left behind after the alcohol evaporates won't be a problem.

The only reason NES carts say not to clean them with alcohol is so you buy their special cleaner, which (surprize!), is mainly alcohol.
    This is what I figured, the guy who bought the games off of me said he got his info off of some local guy who calls himself "Nintendo Dan"

What is it with guys with the name Dan and thinking "Nintendo Dan" is a good nickname?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a rub-and-q girl too for all the games that I purchace, even if they look clean, my nes is very picky and either likes the game genie or a quick hard thumb shove of the cartridge to the right and in.

I've also seen the eraser trick in action(when i was young a friend's mom used to use a pencil with an eraser to "fix" games, and i've done it myself when i was out of solution. it works almost as well as alcohol.
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

i bought one of those cleaning kits off ebay with the solution, anti-static spray, wipes and the tool to open up the cart.

Ive never had a problem with a blinking nes game since. I cleaned all 105 of my games, none of them blink at all.

Best stuff ive ever bought.