Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    FWIW,
    Ninja Spirit was the pack-in hucard game for the Turbo Duo… it was just a loose hucard with sleeve and manual…
    The pack-in game changed a few times, Ninja Spirit was only one of several that were offered. If you purchased it on it's own, it did come in a complete case with manual, like most other TG16 releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    The pack-in game changed a few times, Ninja Spirit was only one of several that were offered. If you purchased it on it's own, it did come in a complete case with manual, like most other TG16 releases.
    I wasn't aware of a different hucard pack in? but I am the only person I know who had bought a Turbo Duo when they were new… and it had pack-in's of Gate of Thunder/Bonk, Ys book I & II (which the disc is different than the retail release), and Ninja Spirit hucard…
    what other hucards were there as pack-in's?

I am aware of the stand alone retail release… I bought mine new 21 years ago… still have the cardboard box too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Waaaaaaay back when, I went for the deal TurboZoneDirect had and traded up my Turbo and CD for a brand new Duo.
    It came with the standard pack-ins, and a complete brand new copy of Splatterhouse.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I wasn't aware of a different hucard pack in? but I am the only person I know who had bought a Turbo Duo when they were new… and it had pack-in's of Gate of Thunder/Bonk, Ys book I & II (which the disc is different than the retail release), and Ninja Spirit hucard…
    what other hucards were there as pack-in's?

I am aware of the stand alone retail release… I bought mine new 21 years ago… still have the cardboard box too!
    The hucard pack-in was apparently random. From the Wiki (I know, I know):
    "The system was also packaged with one random HuCard game which varied from system to system (Dungeon Explorer was the original HuCard pack-in for TurboDuo, although many titles were eventually used, such as IREM's Ninja Spirit and NAMCO's Final Lap Twin, and then eventually a random pick)."

And a user in this thread on PCEngineFX mentions Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse and DE1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up Ninja Spirit way back in the day. It was/is probably one of the best games on the TG16. The graphics are simply gorgeous and made the Genesis look bland by comparison. Pretty much everything about the game; sound, feel, playability just rocked. I remember thinking it was like Ninja Gaiden on steroids.

One of the few glimmers of hope for a doomed system.

My only complaint is that I beat it in a few sittings. The default mode was just about a walk through. They could have upped the difficulty just a bit on the default mode and it may, in fact, have been the perfect game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every great game system has a great ninja game. Ninja Spirit is the TG16's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Every great game system has a great ninja game. Ninja Spirit is the TG16's.
    Great quote, old man!

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Just thought I'd add to the Ninja Spirit love: next to Splatterhouse, it's my favorite HuCard. I have to play through it at least once a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Spirit was one of the first games, if not the first game, I bought with my TurboGrafx-16. It is an awesome game all the way through, really shows off what the Turbo can do with its 2-layer backgrounds and gobs of sprites/objects on screen, not to mention huge well animated bosses. If it wasn't more like Legend of Kage I would put Ninja Spirit right up there with the early Shinobi games. As it is, Ninja Spirit is a totally unique high quality 16-bit ninja title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent game. Love it. When I first owned it on the TG16 back when it was fresh, I initially wasn't too impressed. But it grew on me. In fact, the older I get the more I love it. Especially the music. When I hear Ninja Spirit music from the TG16 version, I think to myself "That IS TG16 music". It has a sound that only the TG16 seems to be able to produce.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game, me and my friend actually sat down one afternoon and beat this bad boy. It wasn't too hard, but that damn part where you had to drop down past all the other ninjas was pretty terrible. we had to go online to see how to get past that mess.

Insert Coin (Level 0) timewarpgamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for starting this thread. My introduction to Ninja Spirit began with the purchase of a heavily-discounted Turbo Duo ($99). To this day, it remains one of the best ninja games that has ever been created. Long before Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon it captured the absurdly gigantic leaps we all apply to ninja tradecraft. Legend of Kage sucked. Ninja Spirit rocked. I love the colors, the huge bosses, the various weapons, the two different modes of gameplay. I'd pop it into my TurboDuo right now if the HuCard hadn't mysteriously disappeared from my parents' house. In short, this game is the bizzomb. Good call.
    I run TimeWarpGamer, dedicated to 8/16-bit retro gaming. I'm also on Twitter, which is ideal for following the latest retro updates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wow

I love Ninja Spirit. The TG-16 had some really great games, and I am glad that it is appreciated more than when the system was new. I was picked on a lot for having a TG-16, people at my school who even knew what the system was would say "its not 16-bit."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    If you have a spare TG16 case from another game, I have a Sparky's spine sticker for Ninja Spirit I could send you that will turn it into a Ninja Spirit case.
    PM if interested, no charge.
    Thanks, but I don't have a spare TG16 case.

and it had pack-ins of Gate of Thunder/Bonk, Ys book I & II (which the disc is different than the retail release), and Ninja Spirit hucard…
    Man, that was one hell of a package, wasn't it? It's like they were eager to prove how awesome the Duo was, just in case you made the mistake of not being interested in those games.