Thread: Midway is ignorant and arrogant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    As was said before, Mortal Kombat was previously ported to the original Game Boy of all platforms. Not to mention Game Gear and Sega Master System. Granted, those versions sucked, but if "it would suck" hasn't stopped them before (and Midway has a long history of shitty ports), why should it stop them now? Mortal Kombat Trilogy was even on the Game.com!
    Now, now. Porting (if you can even call it that) an original MK game (1-3) down to the GB, SMS/GG, and Game.com was/is far cheaper and requires far less of a team and resources than taking a game meant to play on a 360/PS3 and dumb it down to Wii specs.

Who said the Wii sucks at fighting games??? I played Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on my neighbor's Wii and I thought it only sucked a little bit.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What was so bad about the first Mortal Kombat for Game Gear anyway and wasn't the Master System version basically the same thing?

A couple characters were missing and so were some of the stages but the game had pretty good graphics for an 8-bit version and had a blood code.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    Now, now. Porting (if you can even call it that) an original MK game (1-3) down to the GB, SMS/GG, and Game.com was/is far cheaper and requires far less of a team and resources than taking a game meant to play on a 360/PS3 and dumb it down to Wii specs.
    Of course, virtually any Wii game takes more resources to develop than a Master System game. But have you actually seen MK vs. DC? It seriously does not look like anything that would be that difficult to port to Wii. We're not talking about MGS4 or Crysis or anything. I think it would "dumb down" to Wii relatively easily.

Who said the Wii sucks at fighting games??? I played Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on my neighbor's Wii and I thought it only sucked a little bit.
    I think the Wii is only good for fighting games if you have a Hori stick (or maybe a Classic Controller). But I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    What was so bad about the first Mortal Kombat for Game Gear anyway and wasn't the Master System version basically the same thing?

A couple characters were missing and so were some of the stages but the game had pretty good graphics for an 8-bit version and had a blood code.
    The graphics were fine, but it played poorly IMO. I don't think it works well with two buttons. The point wasn't to bash those versions of the game, it was just to note that the series has had its share of unlikely ports to inferior hardware in the past. That's very true outside of the MK series as well -- we could devote a whole topic to games that got downgraded ports to much inferior hardware, both successfully and unsuccessfully.
    Last edited by j_factor; 01-28-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The graphics were fine, but it played poorly IMO. I don't think it works well with two buttons. The point wasn't to bash those versions of the game, it was just to note that the series has had its share of unlikely ports to inferior hardware in the past. That's very true outside of the MK series as well -- we could devote a whole topic to games that got downgraded ports to much inferior hardware, both successfully and unsuccessfully.
    I think you are 100% right here. I will add this, though.

Remember the "Easter Egg" in the Gameboy version where you could actually play through the game using Goro? Now that would have been a hell of a "trick" to include in the SNES or Genesis version back then and it was wasted on the Gameboy port.