I agree that a lot of modern games will wind up as little more than curiosities for the physical copies, with the odd passion project hack to make something run on the Playstation 63 1/3 or PADD or whatever the new tech is in a decade. I can't claim I bought very many games within a couple months of release in the last decade, except for Borderlands 2 and Diablo III (and later Reaper of Souls). I've always had a struggle keeping current since a 'new' console for me has a hard time competing with the absolutely ridiculous amount of ps1 and ps2 JRPGs I can snag for half the price tag. JRPGs: Proof that once you start down the dork path, forever will it dominate your money's destiny.

I have an odd relationship with DLC and microtransactions. If a game I love comes along, I tend to throw money at it (Borderlands 2, World of Tanks hoo boy World of Tanks) or if I can only get something secondhand I buy a little bit as sort of half apology half tip to the devs. But outside of the two examples I don't feel the virtual collector's craze and I really don't like some of the more predatory tactics out there. especially chopped out game parts as DLC or pay-to-win.

I think when it comes down to it is that in the not so distant future a lot of games are going to be unplayable, and while there is a lot of crap out there, good games, even great games are going to disappear. I mean, you can still run a cart-based game or anything before ps3/360 or so since all you need is the game and the console (usually anyway), but just about anything from current times? I know it's more-or-less repeating the OP but that's what's going to happen, and I think its kinda sad.