Thread: Notice: Piko Interactive's Quest Forge Game Carts Won't Damage NES Consoles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yeah, NESes are pretty durable, and its worth pointing out that there have so far been *very few* cases of an actual damaged console, and I seem to recall those were from people who were using things like Everdrives and these multicarts almost nonstop.

This problem has existed as long as repros and flash carts have been a thing, yet its only now we're hearing of problems. That's not to downplay the potential issues, just to point out that you don't need to be paranoid that one game is gonna break your NES.

EDIT: Additionally, I'd have to doublecheck but I think the article *I* linked to mentioned that some *officially licensed* cartridges from back in the day had the same kind of problem (I think he specifically called out Atari/Tengen, though I think he also specifically mentioned their Genesis games)
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 03-15-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ouch.

Well, if the ROM is available online, we can try repros.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    EDIT: Additionally, I'd have to doublecheck but I think the article *I* linked to mentioned that some *officially licensed* cartridges from back in the day had the same kind of problem (I think he specifically called out Atari/Tengen, though I think he also specifically mentioned their Genesis games)
    With the Genesis releases it seemed some of the Tengen games had problems with the traces on the circuit board rusting up. I'm going by memory so I may be wrong about it. You can fix these by swapping the ROM chip onto another compatible board.

I can't remember anything like that killing consoles though.