Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: EGM Closes, 1up sold to UGO

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, they got taken out like little biznitches. I wasn't a big EGM fan for the last 5+ years but, even I'd say that they deserved better treatment than that.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Wait a second...I just picked up their final issue, the January 2009 issue. I didn't get to open and read it yet, but nowhere did I read the words "Final Issue" on the cover. Let me get this straight...They didn't even go out in style? WTF!
    No different than a tv show that gets cancelled. More than half the time when that happens they don't even get to film a farewell episode or just an episode that is able to wrap up a few loose ends.

If I remember right and am thinking of the right mag, "Tips and Tricks" didn't have a farewell issue either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    No different than a tv show that gets cancelled. More than half the time when that happens they don't even get to film a farewell episode or just an episode that is able to wrap up a few loose ends.

If I remember right and am thinking of the right mag, "Tips and Tricks" didn't have a farewell issue either.
    But the long running shows usually have farewell last episodes (The Jeffersons being an exception), Seinfed, Friends, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

But the long running shows usually have farewell last episodes (The Jeffersons being an exception), Seinfed, Friends, etc.
    Because oftentimes, it is known going into the final season that it will be the last season.

You are right in that long-running tv shows are more likely to get a farewell episode.

However, ABC's "Family Matters" (better known as the Steve Urkel show) ran for 8-9 seasons and didn't get a farewell episode. I'm sure part of the problem was that it had switched networks near the end.

Regardless the writers and producers were planning on an episode where Steve Urkel married Laura, so the series would end with their wedding, and they never got the chance because the plug was pulled on the show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Regardless the writers and producers were planning on an episode where Steve Urkel married Laura, so the series would end with their wedding, and they never got the chance because the plug was pulled on the show.
    For some very perplexing reason I want to know more about this. Do you has source?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But remember, that dead horse is still being beat, i.e. there are still "issues" being produced, at least as recent as last quarter. It's a pale, pale husk of the magazine it was, but it ain't dead yet. Undead?
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Wait a second...I just picked up their final issue, the January 2009 issue. I didn't get to open and read it yet, but nowhere did I read the words "Final Issue" on the cover. Let me get this straight...They didn't even go out in style? WTF!
    There is going to be a final issue, but its going to be online only at 1up.com. They have the Street Fighter IV feature up already, with the rest of the magazine going up soon. They would have gone to print if they got enough adverts, but they didnt.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    For some very perplexing reason I want to know more about this. Do you has source?
    IMDB.com's entry on the show talks about it. There is a little bit on Wikipedia and I believe TV.com made reference to it as well. Along with a few dozen "fan" pages for Family Matters which chronicle every episode.

If you still want an actual link or two, I could probably find them easily enough.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash View Post
    But remember, that dead horse is still being beat, i.e. there are still "issues" being produced, at least as recent as last quarter. It's a pale, pale husk of the magazine it was, but it ain't dead yet. Undead?
    Did anyone with a subscription ever receive any of these quarterly issues after the last "regular" issue?

My subscription was good for almost a year after the magazine folded, yet they felt no need to send any sort of notification nor did they bother sending the quarterly issues to make up the difference.

Let's see, I've been burnt on subscriptions by Gamefan (twice), Gamego, T&T, and now EGM. Hardcore Gamer did convert my sub over to their quarterly format, which was a nice gesture but still did not equal out money-wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Did anyone with a subscription ever receive any of these quarterly issues after the last "regular" issue?

My subscription was good for almost a year after the magazine folded, yet they felt no need to send any sort of notification nor did they bother sending the quarterly issues to make up the difference.
    I had 3 issues left on my Tips & Tricks subscription when they folded, and I received 3 of the quarterly issues to make up the difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Because oftentimes, it is known going into the final season that it will be the last season.

You are right in that long-running tv shows are more likely to get a farewell episode.

However, ABC's "Family Matters" (better known as the Steve Urkel show) ran for 8-9 seasons and didn't get a farewell episode. I'm sure part of the problem was that it had switched networks near the end.

The Jeffersons is another exception. While on season break, Sherman Hemsley
    (George Jefferson) read in the paper that the show was abruptly cancled. He was furious he wasn't told first, and wanted a final farewwell episode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Yeah, I just received an issue a couple of days ago. I can't see an obvious expiration date on the mailing label, so I have no idea how many more I'll get.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    I had 3 issues left on my Tips & Tricks subscription when they folded, and I received 3 of the quarterly issues to make up the difference.
    I don't remember how many issues I had left when they kicked the bucket(atleast one) but I never received the quarterly issues.

It reminds me of the time I was talking to customer service rep for Game Now to find out how many issues I had left. The lady told me two and asked if I wanted to renew. I said no thanks becuase I wasn't sure if they would be around much longer(Incite and Next Gen had just folded). She then told me that the magazine has been around for along time(EGM 2, Expert Gamer) and wasn't going anywhere. I'm not sure when but less then 6 months later the mag folded. Sometimes you just get that feeling. My next feeling? Gamepro has gotten extremely thin in content lately. The first 6-8 pages of each mag are filled with nothing but huge screen shots from various games(as is the last page). I wonder how much longer until they fold too
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

Their only good Isuues Were 195,198 And 200 the rest sucked cause the are a bunch of Sony/microsoft fanboys

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I think I've only bought one copy of this magazine... I don't remember what one either...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheGam3r View Post
    Their only good Isuues Were 195,198 And 200 the rest sucked cause the are a bunch of Sony/microsoft fanboys
    What about their pre-1995 issues? They were all good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheGam3r View Post
    Yeah, and that would explain why they always went wild over Mario and especially Zelda games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah, and that would explain why they always went wild over Mario and especially Zelda games...
    Doesn't everybody?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't everybody?
    No, atleast a few diehard XBox 360 fanboys I know of would call them baby/kiddy games because there's no guns or gore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

No, atleast a few diehard XBox 360 fanboys I know of would call them baby/kiddy games because there's no guns or gore.
    I know a PS3 fan that calls the Mario games kid games, but doesn't bash the Zelda games. Twlight Princess isn't baby.