Thread: I Need Your Help (Worst C64 Games)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I'd remove Army Moves and Dragon's Lair, neither are sufficiently bad enough to warrant inclusion, just being more middle of the road affairs. The rest of the entries Flack I can't really argue too much about their presence.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I think Europe would top the 'worse' C64 games list and USA the 'better' C64 games list
    Nah, not by a long shot. Both sides of the pond had excellent and crap titles. Trust me, I've played a ton of crap US games now heh. Although of my personal top ten best C64 titles, only one is American, the other nine are European...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank God Street Fighter II was on the list. What a horrible conversion. I understand that the C64 was limited, but it was horrid. Should have left it alone and never made this version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Nah, not by a long shot. Both sides of the pond had excellent and crap titles. Trust me, I've played a ton of crap US games now heh. Although of my personal top ten best C64 titles, only one is American, the other nine are European...
    Can't trust you, the guy who believes the GB64 database owns 'over 20.000 unique C64 released games'.

But you can trust me, I played most of the UK C64 titles on original hardware during the 80s and numerous USA C64 titles.
    No Euorpean developer can match the might of US titles from companies like Origin, Infocom, Sir-Tech, Microprose, EA, Activision, SSI, subLogic, Broderbund, Mindscape, Lucasfilm, NWC, Synapse....etc.
    Of course, US had crap too, but UK had far more crap (what's it say the in DP fanzine? all UK games feature Kamikazee aliens....}, starting with the cheap stuff from Masertronic, Bubble Bus, Hi-Tec and so forth. Those companies churned out games just for 'making bucks'.

As for your 10 best C64 games, only one is a US game? Yes, I read your C64 top 10 in Retro Gamer (The Sentinel number 1? In front of a Lucasfilm game? Never), this only means you don't know many US games, nothing more. Sorry.
    Last edited by tom; 02-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to remember Howard the Duck being just about as bad as the movie. Past that, I was always so happy to just have new games that I would play anything, no matter how bad it was!
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    I seem to remember Howard the Duck being just about as bad as the movie. Past that, I was always so happy to just have new games that I would play anything, no matter how bad it was!
    Actually, Activision released many duds after mid 80s, stuff like Galactic Games, Galaxy Force, SDI, Knightmare, Enduro Racer, Ghostbusters 2 ....etc urgh

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

That actually wasn't my top ten in Retro Gamer... well it was, but it wasn't my actual real top ten. And the list isn't in numbered order btw, it's just ten entries, so the first entry isn't considered #1. So maybe you didn't like The Sentinel. Countless other people did. C'est la vie. I despite Pirates for example, and can't understand why so many other people rate it highly. It's boring, repetitive piffle *shrug*

Infocom were matched by Magnetic Scrolls and Level 9, even if they didn't get quite as heralded. Activision's output in the mid 80s and later went a bit down the pan and quite a few of their better games from those times had origins in Europe to begin with. Origin's ports were not as good as the Apple II games at time, and had horrible loading in others. I've got almost all Synapse's games and sad to say, I think most of them are tosh. Sorry. I love Drelbs, Sentinel and Slamball though. Broderbund's output was a mixed bag; Karateka, Bungeling Bay, Centauri Alliance, Lode Runner, Wings of Fury good. The less said about some the others, the better. Lucasfilm? Maniac Mansion was revolutionary, and Zak better (which is probably why it got the nod into the RG list). I always felt Koronis Rift and Eidolon were over-rated; good but over-rated. Loved Ballblazer however. Labyrinth was a pile of tosh.

It is quite obvious to me you're a complete disk snob Tom so I don't take any offense. I've played thousands of C64 titles in my time and yes, lots of US originated titles. I more suspect in part you're like an American games version of an otaku (in that they believe Japan is better than the West) and you prefer perhaps more the style of game that tended to come from the US instead (simulations, RPGs etc).

I tend to prefer more arcade orientated titles, which quite frankly the Americans were often useless at compared to the Europeans, especially in the second half of the C64's life. All the good arcade conversions then came out of Europe. All the hardware pushing to get as much from the machine as possible came out of Europe. Games such as Turrican and Mayhem in Monsterland weren't just there to impress, they played well to boot.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy a good RPG or war game or simulation. I stuffed countless hours into the Bard's Tale trilogy, Wasteland, Project Firestart, Laser Squad, Storm Across Europe, Vietnam, Gunship, Project Stealth Fighter, Space Rogue and the SSI gold box games.

So please don't say I don't know many US games because it's a complete fallacy.

And now back on topic for this thread if possible...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I'd remove Army Moves and Dragon's Lair, neither are sufficiently bad enough to warrant inclusion, just being more middle of the road affairs. The rest of the entries Flack I can't really argue too much about their presence.
    Army Moves is pretty low on the list ... thanks to all the suggestions in this thread, it'll probably get knocked off.

I'll probably keep Dragon's Lair on. It's not "terrible" terrible, but it's pretty bad when compared to the original or even the Amiga version, and I can say lots of funny things about it.