Thread: 72-pin replacements devalue the NES- thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Personally I would avoid any NES system with a replacement pin connector unless it was dirt cheap and I wouldn't plan on keeping it. The replacement connectors are pretty much junk. I've used cleaning kits on used systems and got the original connectors to work close to new, I wouldn't bother replacing pins.

As for the Sharp NES TV mentioned above, if I had to replace the connector I would salvage one from a regular NES system so it would still be original. Maybe that's just me.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Personally I would avoid any NES system with a replacement pin connector unless it was dirt cheap and I wouldn't plan on keeping it. The replacement connectors are pretty much junk. I've used cleaning kits on used systems and got the original connectors to work close to new, I wouldn't bother replacing pins.

As for the Sharp NES TV mentioned above, if I had to replace the connector I would salvage one from a regular NES system so it would still be original. Maybe that's just me.
    To me, replacing a 72-pin connector in an NES with the 72-pin connector from another NES would be akin to replacing the engine in a Chevy Vega with the exact same engine from another Chevy Vega. It may work at first (if you're lucky), but will be far too likely to break down again in the same manner before too long. As I said above, if it were a question of having something be original or having something work, I'd go with the latter every time. There's no sense in having something be completely original if it means it'll just sit on a shelf not working.
    -Adam

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    To me, replacing a 72-pin connector in an NES with the 72-pin connector from another NES would be akin to replacing the engine in a Chevy Vega with the exact same engine from another Chevy Vega. It may work at first (if you're lucky), but will be far too likely to break down again in the same manner before too long. As I said above, if it were a question of having something be original or having something work, I'd go with the latter every time. There's no sense in having something be completely original if it means it'll just sit on a shelf not working.
    -Adam
    I still remember when I went to a game store and someone brought their NES console in for repair, as a game was stuck in the system and couldn't be removed because it had a new pin connector with a death grip.

To me a replacement 3rd party connector is equivalent to replacing a cell phone or laptop battery with a cheap off brand replacement that either doesn't hold a charge as long, or tends to catch on fire or explode. Maybe there are some good quality replacements available but I have no idea how to sort them out from all the garbage ones when searching online.

I've used cleaning kits made by Gemini and after cleaning for 5-10 minutes, they work fine and usually start on the first try. Original connectors aren't usually dead even after being decades old. They require more occasional maintenance than other consoles but they're still usable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I've seen this as well, where A LOT of NES systems for sale will say they replaced the pins and I always think that they probably just needed a good cleaning/re-bending instead. I guess I mostly just remember the stories (mainly on here) about how some of the replacements were way too tight.

Now for parts like caps and batteries it makes sense to replace with new parts if needed, but even then, if someone else is doing it you have no idea the quality of the parts they used.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Your '85 Corvette motor would either have been rebuilt at least once (probably twice) to be in proper working condition unless it was a 'pretty' show car, which means it needs a rebuild now. At least half of the 'permanent' things around it would have been replaced; the alternator, the master cylinder for the brakes, any thing with the word 'pump' in it, probably the solenoid for the starter and the IM for the distributor (if not the whole thing for both). This is on top of normal, consumer-level maintenance (oil changes, brake replacement, etc.). The good news that we're dealing with Chevy parts, and that 2019 engine would be an improvement and likely more economical in the long run.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Your '85 Corvette motor would either have been rebuilt at least once (probably twice) to be in proper working condition unless it was a 'pretty' show car, which means it needs a rebuild now. At least half of the 'permanent' things around it would have been replaced; the alternator, the master cylinder for the brakes, any thing with the word 'pump' in it, probably the solenoid for the starter and the IM for the distributor (if not the whole thing for both). This is on top of normal, consumer-level maintenance (oil changes, brake replacement, etc.). The good news that we're dealing with Chevy parts, and that 2019 engine would be an improvement and likely more economical in the long run.
    Which is more expensive? The '85 with zero miles and all original parts that need replacing or the '85 with zero miles and has all new parts under the hood

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The one with all new parts. A car enthusiast would pay a pretty penny for the first, but then probably rip out lots of things and put in all new plus probably some aftermarket, especially if he wants to drive the thing, and that would affect his offer. The second is nothing more than a immobile conversation piece that has been upgraded with lots of shiny toys, but overfinanced idiots love such things, and will throw more money at it. Even more if the seller can produce a list of the shiny new toys, and even more if they can produce a list of the shiny toys that were replaced.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.