Thread: When it's the only way, go digital?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    If it's only available as a download there's no reason to buy it, just download it for free. Either way you can still play it just the same.
    Yeah okay sure. good luck with that on anything past PS360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If it's digital only sure i'll buy it.Unless the game has a physical release then i will buy it that way.As of late i've been debating buying the digital release of Ys Origin for the PS4,or just wait on the physical release.Still it sucks when a game is digital only since it won't be available forever.I remember missing out on the likes of afterburner climax,kept putting it off and now it's gone.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Yeah okay sure. good luck with that on anything past PS360.
    I was mostly talking about PC versions. There's nothing on modern consoles that interest me at all. Not a single thing. Everything good is on PC now, or portables which still use physical media. I would like to play the recent Shantae games but if they're only on consoles I probably won't get around to it. PC versions maybe eventually. I barely play games anymore as it is.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I think any more the way to go digital only is if its a free to play game. but I mean it makes more sense to me, if you decide to pay money in the game for something then that's your choice.

as I type this I realize I think I let my 75% off coupon expire for warframe platinum....shit

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If someone refuses to buy modern games that are digital-only, then they have no business playing those games. Developers, publishers, and localizers put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention money and time, into bringing games out, even if they are digital-only, which the publisher might have had no choice on, if the game wouldn't be profitable as a physical release. People who want to play those games owe it to the publisher to compensate them for their work. It's one thing if we're talking about long-dead hardware where the games can only be bought on the secondhand market, but I thought the members of this board were better than to advocate for piracy of modern games. Stealing is stealing, and you're not entitled to play a game for free just because it's digital-only.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    If someone refuses to buy modern games that are digital-only, then they have no business playing those games. Developers, publishers, and localizers put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention money and time, into bringing games out, even if they are digital-only, which the publisher might have had no choice on, if the game wouldn't be profitable as a physical release. People who want to play those games owe it to the publisher to compensate them for their work. It's one thing if we're talking about long-dead hardware where the games can only be bought on the secondhand market, but I thought the members of this board were better than to advocate for piracy of modern games. Stealing is stealing, and you're not entitled to play a game for free just because it's digital-only.
    I agree with this completely. I don't buy digital. However, I don't play them either unless it's co-op at a friend's house or something, never piracy. I do, however, avidly support physical releases if they come out later. Capcom Digital Collection, the Live Arcade discs, the Limbo/Trials/'Splosion Man disc, Japanese Strider... I'll gladly pay and play finally when those releases come. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content to not play them. I have plenty of physical media to play, and I'd never pirate them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to celerystalker For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-06-2017)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I kind of gave up recently and just went and bought the digital-only games I wanted to play. I can't justify paying insane prices for Limited Run games that are just bought up by scalpers and resold like Amiibos and NES Classic Editions. $40 extra... I'd rather pretend they don't exist. I also missed out on the Castle of Illusion remake and realized crap now if I ever want to play that I'll have to buy a whole used PS3 or Xbox 360 system that has it already installed or something just to play it. Or see if anyone in my general area has it on their system and see if I can borrow theirs in exchange for letting them borrow something of mine.

EDIT: ?!?!?! It returned to PSN and Xbox Live? Ok, maybe I'll just get it now in case it gets delisted again.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 06-30-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickstilwell1 For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (12-05-2017)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I kind of gave up recently and just went and bought the digital-only games I wanted to play. I can't justify paying insane prices for Limited Run games that are just bought up by scalpers and resold like Amiibos and NES Classic Editions. $40 extra... I'd rather pretend they don't exist. I also missed out on the Castle of Illusion remake and realized crap now if I ever want to play that I'll have to buy a whole used PS3 or Xbox 360 system that has it already installed or something just to play it. Or see if anyone in my general area has it on their system and see if I can borrow theirs in exchange for letting them borrow something of mine.

EDIT: ?!?!?! It returned to PSN and Xbox Live? Ok, maybe I'll just get it now in case it gets delisted again.
    That's what I like about physical media. Game companies can bitch all they want but they can't pull the copies off the shelves that they've already made. EA could say "we don't want anyone buying Madden 17 anymore" but there isn't shit EA can do about the millions of copies of Madden 17 out there, they can stop making new copies of Madden 17 but there's nothing they can do about the copies that have already been sold being sold on the used market.

A company shouldn't be able to say "if you didn't buy the game in 2017, you're SOL and can't ever get a copy". WHAT IF IT'S 2042 AND I WASN'T EVEN FUCKING BORN YET IN 2017? I was born in 1992, I have numerous games that were released (and even went out of production) before I was born. My oldest games were made when my dad was 8 and my mom was 6 - two cartridges for the Fairchild Channel F and the console itself, from 1976. People born today, or many years from now, should be able to go to a retro game store (or eBay, or whatever online shopping websites are popular then) and buy games made when they were born.

If someone born in 1992 can go to a retro game store or eBay in 2017 and get games from 1992 for Genesis, SNES, TurboGrafx, NES, etc, why couldn't someone born in, say, 2025 go to a retro game store or online shopping website in 2050 and get games from 2025 for whatever consoles we have then?

PC gaming is a bit different because even if the publisher takes it off line, there's probably somewhere online you can get the game if it's popular enough.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.