Thread: DP MYTHBUSTERS : Blowing in NES Cartridges

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm sorry, but I've never heard that applying water in any capacity to circuit boards is safe under any circumstances.

I'm well aware that freshly created silicon circuit boards (pre-component solder) come out of an initial "rinse bath" ... but that water is HIGHLY filtered, sterilized and deionized.

"Washing" circuit boards under tap water is not the same thing, and can't possibly be a reccomended process.
    We build circuit boards at work and we often put then in a standard dishwaher to clean off the solder flux. That's after the components have already been installed. And these are for industrial controllers that have to meet all sorts of standards. Ironicly, when they dry we put them water tight enclosures.

But it's not the water that damages electronics, it's current flowing through the water into something it's not supposed to that does. So as long as currents not flowing, water is ok...though prolonged exposure is sure to rust and corrode stuff. Which is probally what's going on with blowing in cartriges.

Also, isn't saliva acidic? That might be a factor too. Maybe you should test the pH of your spit.
    Last edited by jb143; 06-03-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    We build circuit boards at work and we often put then in a standard dishwaher to clean off the solder flux. That's after the components have already been installed. And these are for industrial controllers that have to meet all sorts of standards. Ironicly, when they dry we put them water tight enclosures.

But it's not the water that damages electronics, it's current flowing through the water into something it's not supposed to that does. So as long as currents not flowing, water is ok...though prolonged exposure is sure to rust and corrode stuff. Which is probally what's going on with blowing in cartriges.

Also, isn't saliva acitic? That might be a factor too. Maybe you should test the pH of your spit.
    I'm sure the acidity of my saliva is a factor.

Good info on the circuit boards.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've found that the most effective way to clean the carts is to have my cat lick it clean. The only way to entice her to do that, however, is to spread a bit of mackerel paste on the circuit board, then dip it in milk.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    I've found that the most effective way to clean the carts is to have my cat lick it clean. The only way to entice her to do that, however, is to spread a bit of mackerel paste on the circuit board, then dip it in milk.

Mmmm...

Not only does mackerel paste taste amazing on circuit boards, I heard that it also gets you high.