Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill to Finally Get Physical Release

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't want a physical copy of a game about a pussy that Bill Clinton had his hands all over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you get one up from picking up a blue dress lying around that could be seen as a deal maker.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'll wait for the ROM to be dumped online. Doesn't seem like something to really take note of beyond that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

An agonizing history of secretive teasing fleeting glimpses of a game every few years is bound to produce notoriety.
    One can only wonder how much more of the carrot on a stick mentality surrounding Conker, Dinosaur Planet, or the like we'll have to live with before their owners get tired of it. (assuming there is a proven private owner)
    Last edited by theclaw; 10-18-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In the end it seems to always come down to one line.

Earlier this year epic rap battles of history did a 5 way battle between various names. 4 of the 5 would have a line direct or not in there taking a shot at the 5th. But the 5th who was Michael Bey his response rap lines all center around one thing. "It's all about the mother fuckin money!" and that is the same with these protos. Someone finds it, then here and there cock teases over it saying they wont sell, but they will, it is all about teasing and making up some pumped up hype value until some rich chump or campaign of chumps can pop up 4 to 5 figures on some board with code on it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    In the end it seems to always come down to one line.

Earlier this year epic rap battles of history did a 5 way battle between various names. 4 of the 5 would have a line direct or not in there taking a shot at the 5th. But the 5th who was Michael Bey his response rap lines all center around one thing. "It's all about the mother fuckin money!" and that is the same with these protos. Someone finds it, then here and there cock teases over it saying they wont sell, but they will, it is all about teasing and making up some pumped up hype value until some rich chump or campaign of chumps can pop up 4 to 5 figures on some board with code on it.
    I have to say I'm really surprised to hear this from you Tanooki. You and I go a ways back. Without going into things I've done in the past to help you and vice/versa, I do want to say it's never been about the money for me with this release. You of all people should know that.

After all the legal, KS, Trademark, acquisition, artist, programmer and manufacturing costs the goal represents my break even. It was always about getting this game into peoples hands and doing it in a way that I could be proud of. Putting a very high quality product out there. All the costs above I've paid for out of my own pocket. Very sad to see you lump me in with others who don't have that outlook or approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Look I did not even know it was you running it. I am just responding to the thread. My access to a computer is gone at the moment as my HDD took a shit 2 nights ago so Im on a tablet using a micro keyboard so I dont go insane tapping the glass. That comment was one at large watching the general behavior of the group on the whole, not about you, sorry for that.

Weve been cool hope we still are. We have not talked in a long time, stuff has changed. I got over feeding the beast and have been letting stuff fly keeping more of a minimum and reinvesting it back into stuff that doesnt get my blood boiling which anyone here who reads my stuff knows. My knowledge of socks goes back to the annoying way it was being dangled like some carrot over on NA when I was there by the usual proto hoarding trolls. I know you handle stuff differently, uniquely really. Others will say theyre not into it for the cash, then maybe release the ROM after doing a limited numbered run for a nice tidy profit, and others will do like that Japanese guy does and just buy and bury things which helps no one either.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Look I did not even know it was you running it. I am just responding to the thread. My access to a computer is gone at the moment as my HDD took a shit 2 nights ago so Im on a tablet using a micro keyboard so I dont go insane tapping the glass. That comment was one at large watching the general behavior of the group on the whole, not about you, sorry for that.

Weve been cool hope we still are. We have not talked in a long time, stuff has changed. I got over feeding the beast and have been letting stuff fly keeping more of a minimum and reinvesting it back into stuff that doesnt get my blood boiling which anyone here who reads my stuff knows. My knowledge of socks goes back to the annoying way it was being dangled like some carrot over on NA when I was there by the usual proto hoarding trolls. I know you handle stuff differently, uniquely really. Others will say theyre not into it for the cash, then maybe release the ROM after doing a limited numbered run for a nice tidy profit, and others will do like that Japanese guy does and just buy and bury things which helps no one either.
    Glad to hear. Yeah we're cool. No worries. Thanks for clearing that up. Kind of in the same thoughts as you. Paired down the collection big time. Now all my pieces are just things I enjoy. I like it much better this way. While this project with Socks is fun, it's draining. All my free time goes to it. A LOT of hate out there and I'm not even sure why. I'm just trying to get a game out there. One that I think people will really enjoy.

Good to hear from you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well as Im sure you saw in the last couple of year once or twice NA has pointed out I was selling off some high ball stuff to buy other things not part of this mess so much with a pinball machine, and then just this past May I got a Neo Geo arcade cab with 10 carts too. Im getting away from what bugs me and into what doesnt with that, handhelds, g1 transformers and other stuff.

Anyway got to ask as I really am curious, if you have to message me about it with the answer, I just have to know did you ever track down the IP holder of this? I know the old developer ate it and it fell back to a developer individual not the dead company. Just curious if you cleared an ok with this guy to legitimately do all this work. It seems like a lot of effort for an old game with a story and a stigma around it and too much press can be a bad thing if you dont actually own the rights to the code, just the board itself and the code so happens to just sit on it by chance.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sheriff_of_Nottingham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MinusWorlds View Post
    I have to say I'm really surprised to hear this from you Tanooki. You and I go a ways back. Without going into things I've done in the past to help you and vice/versa, I do want to say it's never been about the money for me with this release. You of all people should know that.

After all the legal, KS, Trademark, acquisition, artist, programmer and manufacturing costs the goal represents my break even. It was always about getting this game into peoples hands and doing it in a way that I could be proud of. Putting a very high quality product out there. All the costs above I've paid for out of my own pocket. Very sad to see you lump me in with others who don't have that outlook or approach.
    This is incredible bullshit. What happened is you bought Socks so you can further rip off the rich idiot who bought the Zelda proto off of you for $55k, but, when he realized he was being taken by you and many prominent members of the NA community, vanished before you could complete the sale. Now, left with a cart that you violently overpaid for, you came up with this plan to make a profit anyway. It is totally 100% about your wallet and nothing more.

I am happy to see the Kickstarter is going to fail. You definitely do not deserve this money and the game is still a shitty Kaneko title, regardless of whatever code cleanup was performed.
    Last edited by Sheriff_of_Nottingham; 10-29-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff_of_Nottingham View Post
    This is incredible bullshit. What happened is you bought Socks so you can further rip off the rich idiot who bought the Zelda proto off of you for $55k, but, when he realized he was being taken by you and many prominent members of the NA community, vanished before you could complete the sale. Now, left with a cart that you violently overpaid for, you came up with this plan to make a profit anyway. It is totally 100% about your wallet and nothing more.

I am happy to see the Kickstarter is going to fail. You definitely do not deserve this money and the game is still a shitty Kaneko title, regardless of whatever code cleanup was performed.
    Considering he bought the IP itself, and that stuff isn't cheap, and then you add in manufacturing costs and lots else, I think the price makes sense. I think he broke it down in a post on NA, not sure. But releasing something like this surely takes a lot of time. It sounds like you think the whole campaign is out of spite. I don't get where this comes from.

With places like Piko Interactive and Super Fighter Team also finding unreleased works and licensing them so they can finally be released, I don't see Socks as any worse. If this is becoming a norm, then it's all good for the most part with me.

I can't tell if sometimes the misplaced suspicion and anger towards things like this are just upset it isn't getting released for free or if it's a personal grudge against NA, MinusWorlds, or what. But everything always has haters, I just hope no one actually on the Socks team caves in!

BTW MinusWorlds, you have the rights to the Socks IP, is that correct? So you could even make Socks plushies that would be sold at novelty stores now, couldn't you?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I love it when the NA drama makes its way over here.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I love it when the NA drama makes its way over here.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sheriff_of_Nottingham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bramsworth View Post
    I don't get where this comes from.
    Did you miss the part about PRICE GOUGING SOMEONE FOR A $30,000 PROFIT? (That being the $55k he sold the Zelda proto for when he bought it for $25k from DreamTR) With that kind of mentality, you have to be turning a blind eye to at least not question his cost breakdown and his intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bramsworth View Post
    BTW MinusWorlds, you have the rights to the Socks IP, is that correct? So you could even make Socks plushies that would be sold at novelty stores now, couldn't you?
    He has the rights to Socks itself but the rights to the game itself is hazy. If the contract between Realtime Associates and Kaneko still exists, it's basically unenforceable from the Kaneko side.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I love it when someone is brave enough to dig up a handle created 5 years ago, and inactive for that long, in order to attack someone else.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

So much drama over a game that is surely crap. I mean, this is from the same developer responsible for SNES "gems" like Warlock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm still curious though if the game entirely is properly owned as Im wondering about that.

Yes you can buy the likeness of Socks and so on, but is the code and IP rightly picked up like the already mentioned Piko does with their releases where he tracks down the original owner, and if they have not the ownership of it anymore whoever it is now to secure it. Sometimes you can own the IP but not the game code so you have to make a new Socks, or you own the code but not Socks, so youll have to put your own animal in there, maybe Obamas dog or something. It has extra layers on this being what it is, its not just you found the sole owner of the game who made up the characters too so it has more complexity.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff_of_Nottingham View Post
    Did you miss the part about PRICE GOUGING SOMEONE FOR A $30,000 PROFIT? (That being the $55k he sold the Zelda proto for when he bought it for $25k from DreamTR) With that kind of mentality, you have to be turning a blind eye to at least not question his cost breakdown and his intentions.

He has the rights to Socks itself but the rights to the game itself is hazy. If the contract between Realtime Associates and Kaneko still exists, it's basically unenforceable from the Kaneko side.
    You mean he spent tons of money on something and then resold it for a profit? Yeah, like you wouldn't do the same. This world is based on money, please cry me a river. If I actually had someone willing to pay that much, by all means I'd let them have it.

All I know is an unreleased game is being released and marks one off the checklist of many others that can't even be found anywhere. Life is already hard enough, if someone else finds someone to buy their thing for x amount of dollars, I'm not going to rain on their parade when I know damn well I'd love that money just as much. If he were doing an illegal activity, that's a different story. But consenting parties making a transaction? Go ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Makes me wonder what is on everyones checklist.

Personally I dont have a list as a game or two wouldnt make a list really. I cant think of much that went missing right now Id honestly give more of a wow moment or a thats cool too than one finished project that went into vapor somewhere in Japan back in the 1990s. The completed conversion of the PC game Wing Commander II. Unlike the spotty first one we got, proper conversion, all stages, a talkie too, all cut scenes, and supposedly battery saved thankfully and not a stupid password like WC1s two carts got. Theres info out there, pictures, and more, just no known ROM dump. For all we know that Japanese twat who buys up protos to spite people locking them in a safe overseas has it but at least we'd kind of would know as he likes to point that out like the bitch he is with his purchases being public last I heard.

Maybe someone has a list somewhere, unseen64 or something, but I cant think of any verified finished or damn nearfinished enough to be hacked into completion games that still are missing Id outright play to completion and pay for no less.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Will those involved in producing this run of the game be fronting their money to fill in the remaining funds if the 30k goal isn't reached in time otherwise? That's what I'd do. Cough up 5k, eat 5% or whatever of the Kickstarter fees to basically unlock 25k money, seems like a no-brainer, if obscenely unethical. But then, given the intellectual property in question is gray territory...