Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: New Genesis Consoles ETA: Summer 2009

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh, the sound kills it for me. If these things were only $30 or so, I wouldn't mind, but I'd expect pretty accurate audio for $50 or more. It sucks, too, because everything else seems to be excellent.

Only thing I'm still curious about is pocketability. Does it fit discreetly or will everyone think you're happy to see them? It looks rather thick for a (modern) handheld, but I didn't have trouble with the original brick DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After spending some time with the Innex system, I can say it's not too bad, however, there are some problems with it. I am not a fan of the D-Disc they used. This is making fighters almost impossible to play, which gives Hyperkin the leg up. There are 12 built in games as well on the system, but don't expect anything spectacular as they are all unlicensed games from China it seems. All in all, it's not horrid, but it's not great either. I'd wait for the Hyperkin model to release, to be honest as you can at least play fighting games on the go on it.

As for the review from OldSkoolFool, I notice how he brings up the compatibility with Street Fighter II for this but then doesn't test it. Getting specials off on this thing are worse that trying it on a stock 3DO pad with Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Anyone who has played knows what I mean. As long as you are plating games that don't need these kinds of movements, it's okay. Well, it does what it needs to at least as I am still not too sure about the feel of the Pocket Change D-Pad.
    Last edited by T2KFreeker; 10-11-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have RetroGens for sale:
    http://stoneagegamer.com/retrogen.aspx
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$45 isn't as bad as $50, but if I were to order one, I'd certainly wait for the GenMobile reviews. After checking StoneAgeGamer, $10 difference for possibly fixed audio and a properly shaped D-pad sounds worth it to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Im going to wait until the reviews are out and all of these things before the purchase occurs. Im afraid of audio issues.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Good lord, triple post.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 10-13-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Good lord, triple post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 10-13-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    $45 isn't as bad as $50, but if I were to order one, I'd certainly wait for the GenMobile reviews. After checking StoneAgeGamer, $10 difference for possibly fixed audio and a properly shaped D-pad sounds worth it to me.
    The audio between all of these systems should be the exact same. They all use the same chip and hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesboro's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Beastech

I sell the Retrogen, so you might take my thoughts on it with a grain of salt, or you may believe me when I tell you that the unit is pretty nice.

The screen is incredible, compatibility is pretty good, and the sound isn't so hot.

The sound isn't as bad as you may think though, coming through the units tiny speaker it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Out of all of the ones I've sold; and I've sold a lot of them, no one has told me that they were dissapointed with the purchase.

Personally I've beaten Sonic 2, tried out at least a hundred games or so, played hours and hours of Beggar Prince, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Street Fighter SCE is very difficult to play on the system. I can do fireballs, but dragon punch and sonic boom motions are pretty much impossible. Mortal Kombat I and II on the other hand I've been able to play with very little trouble. (I can't win "Test your might" challenges, just can't hit the buttons fast enough)

Direct Feed Footage of Retrogen

Crappy built in Firecore games

Here are a couple of videos I put up on YouTube when I first got the system in last week. Thought you might like them.

Oh yeah, I expect that the GEN Mobile will have the same sound and compatible games, but its a HELL of a deal with 20 games built in. THAT is going to be the real hotness. I expect it to be huge this Christmas.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamesboro View Post
    I sell the Retrogen, so you might take my thoughts on it with a grain of salt, or you may believe me when I tell you that the unit is pretty nice.

The screen is incredible, compatibility is pretty good, and the sound isn't so hot.

The sound isn't as bad as you may think though, coming through the units tiny speaker it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Out of all of the ones I've sold; and I've sold a lot of them, no one has told me that they were dissapointed with the purchase.

Personally I've beaten Sonic 2, tried out at least a hundred games or so, played hours and hours of Beggar Prince, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Street Fighter SCE is very difficult to play on the system. I can do fireballs, but dragon punch and sonic boom motions are pretty much impossible. Mortal Kombat I and II on the other hand I've been able to play with very little trouble. (I can't win "Test your might" challenges, just can't hit the buttons fast enough)

Here are a couple of videos I put up on YouTube when I first got the system in last week. Thought you might like them.

Oh yeah, I expect that the GEN Mobile will have the same sound and compatible games, but its a HELL of a deal with 20 games built in. THAT is going to be the real hotness. I expect it to be huge this Christmas.
    Rightly or wrongly, I ordered the GenCore from you guys -the built in games do make it something of a bargain, even if it will likely suffer the same issues as the other systems. I just wanted a system to play games on TV with a regular controller and that doesn't take up a lot of space.

I'd already ordered my RetroGen from another company -like, back in July. Oh, but it won't get here until next week (while other people already have theirs and have been posting up on YouTube), and the store had dropped the price on the system on release but didn't offer any kind of rebate for those of us who pre-ordered and got charged the original higher price. Classy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamesboro View Post

Anyone that wants to read a review of the GEN Mobile, I did do a review in Classic Video Gamer Magazine issue #2. It may have the same problems the Innex system has emulationwise, but the D-Pad they have in the system is much better. The Retrogen's Nickel thingy is rough on your thumb to boot. It's not as horrid system, but could have had some better design behind it.

By the way, maybe I'll drop in at your store if I get out towards Albany again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are at least three different manufacturers and four consoles being discussed here as far as I can tell, but I'll be damned if I can sort out what's what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    There are at least three different manufacturers and four consoles being discussed here as far as I can tell, but I'll be damned if I can sort out what's what.
    Exactly what I am thinking in this thread. I hope someone can make a comprehensive and comparative post on whats what.
    DERP

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, looks like Yobo's FC3 Plus is still the way to go as far as Gen clones go.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Hmm, looks like Yobo's FC3 Plus is still the way to go as far as Gen clones go.
    I heard that thing wasnt all too hot at doing a good emulation job either.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesboro's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Beastech

I'll try to make sense of this for you guys.

At Games got the rights from Sega to make licensed Genesis Consoles. They partnered with 2 different distributors, Hyperkin and Innex. Both of these companies have different Genesis units that have either already come out, or are coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Hyperkin has

GEN Mobile - Portable Genesis with cartridge port, 2.4 inch screen, and 20 built in Genesis games for around $60.00

GEN Core - Traditional Genesis console (aka one that plugs into your TV), shaped like Sonic's head, has 2 controllers, a cartridge port, and 20 built in games for around $40.00

Innex has

Retrogen - UNLICENSED Genesis portable, 2.8 inch screen for around $50.00

Genesis Portable - 20 games built in, no cartridge port, 2.4 inch screen for around $50.00

Genesis Firecore - Traditional Genesis, 20 games built in, 2 controllers for around $50.00

All of these are Firecore compatible (with the exception of the Genesis Portable) and that means that a cartridge with an SD card slot will be coming out in the future so you can download new licensed Sega games from an authorized site. Now you should have an easier time understanding what we are going on about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of those systems just have crappy games though, and not actual classic genesis games, right?
    And what about retrobit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only the Retrogen has the crappy freeware games, I think.

Here's another Atgames Genesis. This is shaped like Sonic's head, but doesn't have the cartridge slot.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27799
    Last edited by PSony; 10-16-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been said before, but it's worth mentioning again. Any sound or performance issues will be the exact same across all systems. They use the exact same hardware.