Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2162

Thread: What is your most RECENT import? Post often!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    True, although it's not my thing at all! YYH2 is basically a Street Fighter clone... and I like it! How about YYH Final? I'm too lazy to download it, boot up an emulator and try it out.

imho, it's the best one for SFC.

Due to "stress from school & work" (good excuse huh?), went on a bit of a pc-engine shopping spree on good ol' Yahoo Japan last night. Also picked up some cool RGB enabling gadgets/accessories.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 05-01-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Picture of the games from my previous post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Bioshock (Korean Version)
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Far East of Eden: The Apocalypse IV-Sega Saturn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    imho, it's the best one for SFC.

Due to "stress from school & work" (good excuse huh?), went on a bit of a pc-engine shopping spree on good ol' Yahoo Japan last night. Also picked up some cool RGB enabling gadgets/accessories.

GREAT excuse!

I love my PCE Duo. Got it boxed for about $50 and I love bragging about it. No extra RGB enhancements yet. I show my wife PCE games running and then switch video modes and show her the same game running on Wii (D4 connection) and it's really night and day. The Wii looks a lot nicer... although I do enjoy playing on the Duo with the PCE controller a lot more. My wife? She doesn't care about games at all. I just like the attention. http://www.digitpress.com/forum/imag...003_monkey.gif

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Bioshock (Korean Version)
    It it actually just the Asian version with Korean on the cover/back and instruction? I don't actually own any Korean games, but I do have a Korean X-Box (modded, which explains the lack of K-games) and a bunch of DVDs from when I lived in the RoK. They're all region 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

GREAT excuse!

I love my PCE Duo. Got it boxed for about $50 and I love bragging about it. No extra RGB enhancements yet. I show my wife PCE games running and then switch video modes and show her the same game running on Wii (D4 connection) and it's really night and day. The Wii looks a lot nicer... although I do enjoy playing on the Duo with the PCE controller a lot more. My wife? She doesn't care about games at all. I just like the attention. http://www.digitpress.com/forum/imag...003_monkey.gif

50 bucks boxed! Grrr one of the perks of living in Japan? =) I don't think I'd be able to live in Japan. It would look like I as paid in games and electronics. hehe

Most "normal" people don't see the hub-bub about picture/video quality. I spend a lot of time/resources on various gadgets, high-end video processors, distribution amplifiers, converters/transcoders, cables, etc etc and rave about the picture quality, color purity/intensity, scaling, deinterlacing, noise reduction blah blah blah. However when I show it to friends/family they just don't get what's the big deal about it. oh well...

Don't really have D-Terminal inputs around here (except on my XRGB-2+, lol)... but an RGB modded PCE Duo on a Sony ProFeel CRT (aka PVM - Pro Video Monitor) is about as pure an image as you can get, as long as the geometry is calibrated correctly. Also got a Sony CRT with an actual JPN 21-pin RGB input coming in from Japan and picked up a Samsung LCD with SCART input last week out of SCART curiosity. The Sammy doesn't compare to a CRT for oldschool stuff, but looks pretty darn decent with SuperFamicom on an LCD.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 05-10-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

50 bucks boxed! Grrr one of the perks of living in Japan? =) I don't think I'd be able to live in Japan. It would look like I as paid in games and electronics. hehe
    Yeah, I guess you could say it's a perk. Most of those deals are found away from the popular places to buy games, like Akihabara. A boxed PCE Duo there is around $200. With the time to shop around that comes with living here, you can find better deals. Still, I have seem some decent deals in the main shops that tourists frequent occasionally.

On the other side of the coin, try finding an American system in Japan like an Atari 2600 or Jaguar for less than $200, or a Lynx for less than $150. Good luck with that.

Most "normal" people don't see the hub-bub about picture/video quality. I spend a lot of time/resources on various gadgets, high-end video processors, distribution amplifiers, converters/transcoders, cables, etc etc and rave about the picture quality, color purity/intensity, scaling, deinterlacing, noise reduction blah blah blah. However when I show it to friends/family they just don't get what's the big deal about it. oh well...
    I'm just happy that my wife acknowledged the differences! I just picked up a Mega Drive yesterday, and totally forgot how crappy the video that thing puts out is. I probably won't mod it, or my Genesis, since I can play the games on my Wii, X-Box or PC, but still... Sega could've been nice and at least provided S-video! For some reason, the MD/Genesis looks worse than other systems.

Don't really have D-Terminal inputs around here (except on my XRGB-2+, lol)... but an RGB modded PCE Duo on a Sony ProFeel CRT (aka PVM - Pro Video Monitor) is about as pure an image as you can get, as long as the geometry is calibrated correctly. Also got a Sony CRT with an actual JPN 21-pin RGB input coming in from Japan and picked up a Samsung LCD with SCART input last week out of SCART curiosity. The Sammy doesn't compare to a CRT for oldschool stuff, but looks pretty darn decent with SuperFamicom on an LCD.
    Hmmm... I can't comment much on LCDs and other thin screens. Of course I can run emulators from my PC onto my LCD monster, but my main (and only TV, in my "huge" Japanese apartment) is just a Trinitron flatscreen, widescreen CRT. To be honest, games to look pretty darned good on it. Even on the PS3, since it can do 720p/1080i with D-Terminal connections. Unfortunately, light guns don't work on it. I'm not a videophile, but I can definitely see the difference between a standard video cable, component/D-link and *gasp* RF.
    Last edited by Breetai; 05-12-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Newest "imports":

-Super Famicom- Super Donkey Kong 3 (Donkey Kong Country 3) *new*/unused for $5. My wife bought it for me!
    -Mega Drive- Chibi Maruko-Chan: Waku Waku Shopping

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got Faussete Amour in the mail. It's just the disc only in a jewel case. It was about sixty bucks on Ebay. I was quite intrigued about how this game played, and figured this was the cheapest option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, I guess you could say it's a perk. Most of those deals are found away from the popular places to buy games, like Akihabara. A boxed PCE Duo there is around $200. With the time to shop around that comes with living here, you can find better deals. Still, I have seem some decent deals in the main shops that tourists frequent occasionally.
    Oh it definitely is. For a lot of us (including myself), I get 99.99% of my japanese console gaming and some arcade pcbs/accessories online. For me personally, a vast majority (2/3's or more) of that is via Yahoo Japan using a middleman service (due to lack of availability in other sources). Often times the middleman fees are more than the product itself by 2, 3, or even 4 times! Slap on shipping within japan and then to the US. The last 3 packages I received combined, the total shipping charges were in slight excess of 700 USD!!! Just for friggin shipping! Cost of goods plus middleman fees not included!

Just being able to even buy from Yahoo Japan locally and only pay final auction price plus internal shipping within japan hugely increases buying power. Not to mention exploring little unknown/untapped shops.

Main drawback for most foreigners living in japan is probably space. Most people can't go around collecting arcade machines there. lol, despite being able to snag some highway robbery deals on machines/cabs there. Sometimes a SEGA Astro City goes for 100 USD!

On the other side of the coin, try finding an American system in Japan like an Atari 2600 or Jaguar for less than $200, or a Lynx for less than $150. Good luck with that.
    Bah who wants those?! j/p. Oh you have plenty of family/friends stateside that will take care of it at cost + shipping... or just pick it up when you come back for visits. =)
    I also bet you many westerners would be willing to trade flea market finds stateside for some "second hand / store labelled junk items" you find over there! hehehe
    I just love the japanese... clean product (by western standards), but old and "dirty" (repackaged very neatly in plastic).... so "please treat as junk item article"! Such a nice change of pace from ebay where people don't have any idea what "good" condition means.

I'm just happy that my wife acknowledged the differences! I just picked up a Mega Drive yesterday, and totally forgot how crappy the video that thing puts out is. I probably won't mod it, or my Genesis, since I can play the games on my Wii, X-Box or PC, but still... Sega could've been nice and at least provided S-video! For some reason, the MD/Genesis looks worse than other systems.
    Acknowledgement is half the battle! At least the megadrive can output RGB without modification. Many options available to "tap dat" (lol):

- MD RGB cables
    - Micomsoft XMD-1 or XMD-3 to s-video
    - MD RGB cables + Micomsoft XRGB-2/2+/3 to VGA or component via another transcoder
    - MD RGB cables + AV Demillo to s-video

etc etc etc... All should look excellent on a CRT (especially a Sony, they rock).

Actually the Victor Wondermega (non JVC x-eye lookin one) I have has a stock s-video output. Not sure about the JVC x-eye, haven't dug that out of storage in a looong time.

Hmmm... I can't comment much on LCDs and other thin screens. Of course I can run emulators from my PC onto my LCD monster, but my main (and only TV, in my "huge" Japanese apartment) is just a Trinitron flatscreen, widescreen CRT. To be honest, games to look pretty darned good on it. Even on the PS3, since it can do 720p/1080i with D-Terminal connections. Unfortunately, light guns don't work on it. I'm not a videophile, but I can definitely see the difference between a standard video cable, component/D-link and *gasp* RF.
    If you like pre HD gaming I'd definitely keep a good quality CRT around. If your CRT can do 720p more power to you. Can't beat the black levels of a CRT. You might come visually close with a high end plasma (Pioneer Kuro Elite). Each era of gaming looks best on what it was designed to run on (at least for now). Lots of things you can do (pricey tho) to improve stock looks on a flat panel, but can never match or surpass it for SD sources anyways. Only drawback for CRT is it's size limitation. Howerver, for old school gaming I don't like it waaay too big or it looks too pixelated. Big big big (50-60" plus) only matters to me for movie watching.

So for my setup I keep:
    - some CRTs sticking around for 0 lag and best possible picture for SD games.
    - A couple LCDs (including 120Hz) modern sports games look great and smaller lcds for easy TATE mode for shmups
    - and overall preference for HD gaming/movies... plasma. =)

Last edited by StealthLurker; 05-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Oh it definitely is. For a lot of us (including myself), I get 99.99% of my japanese console gaming and some arcade pcbs/accessories online. For me personally, a vast majority (2/3's or more) of that is via Yahoo Japan using a middleman service (due to lack of availability in other sources). Often times the middleman fees are more than the product itself by 2, 3, or even 4 times! Slap on shipping within japan and then to the US. The last 3 packages I received combined, the total shipping charges were in slight excess of 700 USD!!! Just for friggin shipping! Cost of goods plus middleman fees not included!
    Shipping is horrible. I'm very worried how I'm going to get my collection back to Canada when I leave Japan in a couple years...

Just being able to even buy from Yahoo Japan locally and only pay final auction price plus internal shipping within japan hugely increases buying power. Not to mention exploring little unknown/untapped shops.
    I've never tried Yahoo Japan auctions... but I love looking around the smaller shops (and the bigger ones!).

Main drawback for most foreigners living in japan is probably space. Most people can't go around collecting arcade machines there. lol, despite being able to snag some highway robbery deals on machines/cabs there. Sometimes a SEGA Astro City goes for 100 USD!
    I don't even have enough space to hook up my consoles. My PS3 and Wii are hooked up... and that's it. I play most of my names on Wii homebrew because it's a lot easier than digging through my closet for the equivalent system and game. I don't really go looking for arcade machines/cabs for obvious reasons! I'd have to rent a locker to store it in, and it would never get used.

Bah who wants those?! j/p. Oh you have plenty of family/friends stateside that will take care of it at cost + shipping... or just pick it up when you come back for visits. =)
    I also bet you many westerners would be willing to trade flea market finds stateside for some "second hand / store labelled junk items" you find over there! hehehe
    I just love the japanese... clean product (by western standards), but old and "dirty" (repackaged very neatly in plastic).... so "please treat as junk item article"! Such a nice change of pace from ebay where people don't have any idea what "good" condition means.
    Some of the consoles and carts I find as "junk items" really are dirty. One of the shops that I frequent has a boxed Famicom that looks to be in very nice condition sitting next to a pile of discoloured and dirty Famicoms/Super Famicoms. The boxed Famicom is 4000yen, and the loose systems are between 200 and 800yen. I don't want the boxed system because it'll a pain to bring back to my own country.

Acknowledgement is half the battle! At least the megadrive can output RGB without modification. Many options available to "tap dat" (lol):

- MD RGB cables
    - Micomsoft XMD-1 or XMD-3 to s-video
    - MD RGB cables + Micomsoft XRGB-2/2+/3 to VGA or component via another transcoder
    - MD RGB cables + AV Demillo to s-video

etc etc etc... All should look excellent on a CRT (especially a Sony, they rock).
    I'll check around. I'm guessing that an MD cable will also work fine in my Genesis that's sitting in my parent's basement.
    Actually the Victor Wondermega (non JVC x-eye lookin one) I have has a stock s-video output. Not sure about the JVC x-eye, haven't dug that out of storage in a looong time.
    Should be the same. The X-Eye and Wondermega 2 are exactly the same except for the wireless controllers on the WM2 as far as I know. I came across a WM2 last weekend... but it's 20,000yen with no box.

If you like pre HD gaming I'd definitely keep a good quality CRT around. If your CRT can do 720p more power to you. Can't beat the black levels of a CRT. You might come visually close with a high end plasma (Pioneer Kuro Elite). Each era of gaming looks best on what it was designed to run on (at least for now). Lots of things you can do (pricey tho) to improve stock looks on a flat panel, but can never match or surpass it for SD sources anyways. Only drawback for CRT is it's size limitation. Howerver, for old school gaming I don't like it waaay too big or it looks too pixelated. Big big big (50-60" plus) only matters to me for movie watching.
    I'll keep that in mind! I'll need a new TV in about 2 years.
    So for my setup I keep:
    - some CRTs sticking around for 0 lag and best possible picture for SD games.
    - A couple LCDs (including 120Hz) modern sports games look great and smaller lcds for easy TATE mode for shmups
    - and overall preference for HD gaming/movies... plasma. =)
    I don't think I could justify owning so many TVs to my wife! I can probably get away with one large LCD/plasma, one CRT and maybe another small TV in the bedroom. My wife likes Tetris Plus, the Puzzle Bobble games, Puyo-Puyo games and Saturn Bomberman on the Saturn, so I have a great excuse to keep a Saturn in the bedroom! hehe Then again, perhaps I can think of more productive activities in that room...

Thanks for the advice, though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh, I would absolutely not collect if I had to pay those sorts of shipping/middleman fees. It's ludicrous how much shipping costs, even by ocean freight.

I'm a Yahoo! Auctions addict, but I tend to use it more for hard to find stuff (arcade stuff, tickets, etc). Small shops are the best!

Heh, I have 3 cabs in my apartment right now (though one is sold to my buddy). I think Astro City cabs USUALLY go for around $100 on Y!A. I picked up both my Egret II and Atomiswave SD for around $300-350 each

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Original white PC Engine hucard system and AV booster. I am shocked at how small this little guy is.

Salamander I had for a long time. Something to hold me over until I can get my Duo R's controller port fixed.
    Last edited by Lord Contaminous; 05-14-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Contaminous View Post
    Original white PC Engine hucard system and AV booster. I am shocked at how small this little guy is.

Salamander I had for a long time. Something to hold me over until I can get my Duo R's controller port fixed.
    Question: does the original PCE and the Duo use the same AC adapter? The reason is because I have a PCE Duo but if I find a PCE for cheap I'll pick it up. If I don't have to buy another power adapter, then it makes things easier. I assume the original PCE, Coregraphx I & II and Supergraphx all use the same adapters as well.

Going by another thread here, my Mega Drive I power adapter or Neo Geo adapter should also work. I guess I could test it, but then I've got to dig out my boxed systems from the back of my closet. Maybe on the weekend.
    Last edited by Breetai; 05-14-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    Heh, I have 3 cabs in my apartment right now (though one is sold to my buddy). I think Astro City cabs USUALLY go for around $100 on Y!A. I picked up both my Egret II and Atomiswave SD for around $300-350 each
    *SLAPS FOREHEAD*

Only in Japan baby... only in Japan. An Egret 2 or AWSD for 350ish USD... drool! Any notable PCB finds in your hunts?

*SLAPS FOREHEAD AGAIN*

Yeah the guy I used to buy japanese cabinets from would tell me how much he'd get them for in his trips to Japan to acquire stock. Doesn't help when I know what he's charging me. He also imported skylines too. His warehouse was a tiny little universe of all things awesome.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 05-14-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Deathsmiles and Raiden IV (been meaning to pick one up) came in about a week and half ago. Haven't tried DS yet. Promised myself I wouldn't play games til after finals. So far so good still sealed... same with Donpachi. =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn StealthLurker, still beastin' just like our Neo Geo.com days.

Question: does the original PCE and the Duo use the same AC adapter? The reason is because I have a PCE Duo but if I find a PCE for cheap I'll pick it up. If I don't have to buy another power adapter, then it makes things easier. I assume the original PCE, Coregraphx I & II and Supergraphx all use the same adapters as well.

Going by another thread here, my Mega Drive I power adapter or Neo Geo adapter should also work. I guess I could test it, but then I've got to dig out my boxed systems from the back of my closet. Maybe on the weekend.
    From what I understand, the PC Engine systems before 1991 do have the same AC jack the black Duo does.

But as of wattage, that's an iffy issue on my part. Best advice I can give you is to search around.

--------------

For those that have never physically been near a PC Engine, I got some pics to emphasize its tiny size.

Last edited by Lord Contaminous; 05-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Contaminous View Post

I see you're using the Ruo R's controller with your new PC Engine. Did you get the original controller, or just the console? It is nice and clean, though! Way better than the yellowed ones that I see fairly often for sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see you're using the Ruo R's controller with your new PC Engine. Did you get the original controller, or just the console? It is nice and clean, though! Way better than the yellowed ones that I see fairly often for sale.
    Actually it's a bit yellowed, the flash on the camera gave it that clean illusion which isn't a bad thing really, it shows the yellowing didn't go too out of hand. I'm still going to disassemble the machine and soak the shells in bleach.

That's what I did for my Duo R controller. it too was once yellowed.
    Last edited by Lord Contaminous; 05-17-2009 at 06:44 AM.