Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES) is a semi-example. I've played this version on emulator and had some fun, but I prefer the PS1 version.
Does the SNES version still have that voice that says "LIBERATION!"? That is the most wonderful sound to me, never fails to get a smile.

I remember loving Robotrek, but I sold my copy a long time ago and don't remember why (I think I was just bored of RPGs at the time).

The 16-Bit era is a very interesting one to me, because it was a period where everyone was still experimenting and very little had been set in stone, and you still got a lot of weirdness like Amiga ports to the Sega Genesis, or things like Super Hydlide (also for Genesis), which I really like but most people are mixed on, though its generally agreed that it's better than its infamous predecessor (fun fact... Super Hydlide is the third game in the series. Hydlide II is the only one that never got a console port).

I remember liking this game called Neutopia for the TurboGrafx/PC-Engine (hucard). It was a blatant clone of the original Legend of Zelda, but it had just enough to set itself apart and establish its own identity, and after all, it is cloning the best of the Zelda series, so its based on a good foundation. There's a sequel as well, and both were released in English.

I also remember liking this game called Dragon's Curse, also a hucard for the Turbo. It's sort of a metroidvania, and fun fact... its the third game in the Wonder Boy series. But with this one, the titles get weird... okay, first I need to explain that the original Wonder Boy also spawned the Adventure Island games (which were called something like Takahashi-Meijin's Boukenjima in Japan). Wonder Boy III was called The Dragon's Trap on the Sega Master System, but it had two different titles on the Turbo: In the US, it was called Dragon's Curse... and in Japan, it was called Adventure Island! Making it more confusing is that there's a different Wonder Boy III, an arcade side-scrolling shooter/platformer that was released on the Genesis.

Awhile ago, I was really into strategy games and played this Genesis title called Master of Monsters. It doesn't really have a plot as far as I can tell, but I'm having fun with it. I also kinda-sorta dug this RPG called Traysia, which played like a stripped-down Ultima IV, but I did eventually lose interest.

When it comes to the Genesis one game I recall really getting a bad rap was Crusader of Centy. Seriously, magazines at the time all showed their slavish Nintendo fanboyism by all saying things like "it's so blatant it might as well be called Legend of Melda!" I even remember some 14-year-old on Usenet repeating this verbatim. The kicker? It's not really all that similar outside of being a top-view game that stars a kid with a sword. The structure is different and the plot itself is one of the most unique in gaming, with the early reveal being that maybe, just maybe, the humans are afraid of a threat that doesn't exist. I actually had my heart pulled at points.

The SNES.. has no shortage. Seriously, just grab something, its probably an overlooked gem.