Page 50 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I registered here just to say I'm sorry you got banned Tanooki. Heck I was shocked 3Gen got banned too. We may not agree on the Retron 5 being a good product, but in my mind you were one of the most productive posters on NA. It's a shame really.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Do whatever you feel is necessary but don't get yourself banned for doing it as it's just not worth it.
    No, I was referring to reposting your Retron5 updates. I'm not gonna copy/paste anything that got someone banned from a forum I participate in as it would just get me in hot water.

While I did try to backtrack the mod edits by viewing Google's web cache of the page, currently only the first two posts are indexed. When it does get refreshed, it will only reveal the mod edits:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Quote Originally Posted by Oddzball View Post
    Damn, I registered here just to say I'm sorry you got banned Tanooki. Heck I was shocked 3Gen got banned too. We may not agree on the Retron 5 being a good product, but in my mind you were one of the most productive posters on NA. It's a shame really.
    3GenGames is not currently banned, or if he was, the ban was only temporary. It does appear he is inactive however, last activity was May 24th.
    http://www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm...User=3GenGames
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 07-02-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

digitalpress is a much better community, anyway.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    No, I was referring to reposting your Retron5 updates. I'm not gonna copy/paste anything that got someone banned from a forum I participate in as it would just get me in hot water.

While I did try to backtrack the mod edits by viewing Google's web cache of the page, currently only the first two posts are indexed. When it does get refreshed, it will only reveal the mod edits:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

3GenGames is not currently banned, or if he was, the ban was only temporary. It does appear he is inactive however, last activity was May 24th.
    http://www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm...User=3GenGames

THat was when he was banned I think. He must not have gone back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks oddzball. I know we didn't but I really appreciated the conversation as it was good. I hope you stick around. You'll find quickly this place maybe smaller but in many ways a polar opposite and you won't have to fear stepping on collectors toes who want to protect their assets, just an overall more chill and fun environment. I got popped and it's over with, but you should stick around it is a nicer community here and you'd be an asset as your head is on straight.

stardust, gotcha, just wasn't sure and I am doing like three things at once here when I wrote that between tv, this, and talking with my wife. :P Feel free to share the R5 stuff as you wish. It would only benefit people who own the device and you can encourage them to sign up here if they have new information they'd like to share to get repaired as I really don't feel a need to go back to my pre-reg days of reading as a lurker.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Tanooki, thanks for the reply. Yeah, it doesn't recognize my Mother 3 repro, which I suspect might be part of the reason it erased my save. I've sent them a message with the link to the cart on FB, but haven't heard back.

I've since discovered the system doesn't seem to want to write saves back to carts, either. I played a bit of LTTP 1.0 earlier, saved, then went through the write save to cart process. It seemed to work, but nothing was on the cart when I stuck it in my Retro Duo Portable.

Having said all that, it did recognize both my FF5 and Star Fox 2 repros, which was unexpected.

In any case... I'm gonna go back tens of pages and see what everyone's been saying. I really thought that by app version 1.4 these problems would be fixed (the seemingly random save erasing and not writing to recognized carts.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The hyperkin account won't reply, it's just a new posting thing and I'm surprised few have caught onto that like all the people being trolls on there growling bout being ignored. The Hyperkin Tech account is it -- https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005440995949

I've told him about the cart and where it came from. A real M3 game works just fine, so something has to be up with the save type it is using according to him. He's looking to disable for that specific game any save import/exporting until it can be sorted out so no one else loses their progress.

1.4 was supposed to correct the saves being lost, but that was I think specifically for recognized games. Games that pop up as unknown it won't know how to properly handle save because it's not on file in the database as to what it uses so you get foul ups. That's basically my understanding of it, and it's the same reason why my 2 non-licensed games (Qwak homebrew and bootleg DWM Caravan Hearts in english) don't work as it will either not copy the save over or it won't copy back as it's unknown (I forget which without checking again.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

About your Link to the Past issue.

Did you save only IN game? I know it's weird, but it only saves in game within the confines of the system. You have to go to the second menu option and click on 'copy save to cart' otherwise the new updated save data will not be on your cartridge.

In reverse, if you then play Zelda more on another box, then come back, you'll find your newer save not showing up either because you need to copy save to retron. Only the first time a game goes in the system will it copy existing data to the R5 by default (option can be turned off in the menu.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About your Link to the Past issue.

Did you save only IN game? I know it's weird, but it only saves in game within the confines of the system. You have to go to the second menu option and click on 'copy save to cart' otherwise the new updated save data will not be on your cartridge.

In reverse, if you then play Zelda more on another box, then come back, you'll find your newer save not showing up either because you need to copy save to retron. Only the first time a game goes in the system will it copy existing data to the R5 by default (option can be turned off in the menu.)
    Dude, you're on fire! Thanks for all this. I actually reached out to the tech guy too, so we'll see what happens.

Yeah, I'm doing exactly what you'd think should be done with Zelda. I'll save in game (hit select, then save and quit.) then go to main menu, write save to cart. Load the cart on other hardware, no save is present. I'm gonna get back out of bed now and test the function on my greatest hits version. See what happens. The think is, LTTP is definitely recognized, so I'm not sure why this isn't working properly on my 1.0 cart.

ALSO - something I forgot to mention earlier (but which I have mentioned to the rep): Mother 3 drops frames during the "charge at dragos" moment in the beginning - a significant amount, actually. I'm gonna go check to see how it handle my Japanese cart, which is legit. The problem is... I've been going to bed much earlier lately since I'm supposed to start taking better care of myself. It's hard to wake up at 6 and then stretch and go running before work when you're up past midnight. Haha. But I got new hardware today, so naturally, I have other priorities.

ALSO ALSO - did someone need some testing on Mega Man X2 and X3? Because I've got 'em both.

Anyway - thanks! I'll report back on the other Zelda and Mother carts shortly.
    Last edited by nusilver; 07-02-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sega Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what is the update on firmware 1.5? Have we got a list of bug fixes yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't see a 1.5 on their website. It's still on 1.4 since the 26th of last month, and on their site it does have a change log of everything.

Nusilver, you got me confused, no idea why Zelda would do that since you're doing it right. As far as Mother dropping frames I'm not sure. I do know that Mother a legit copy uses a different board and has FLASH chips for saving as well. Maybe the cheap chinese board just isn't handling itself like it should and due to the wrong type of save that was used against the real one, that is why the thing is having the save failure because you're writing one type back to a chip that is expecting another.

X2 and X3 supposedly work perfectly, I got rid of both as I didn't like them at least a year ago or I'd have been curious and looked too as I started on chipped SNES games when I got it to see how things worked.

Insert Coin (Level 0) RoryDropkick's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I asked Retron Tech if they could send me beta firmware updates whenever there was one and they seemed to be ok with it. Let's see how that goes. In other news, the system is still chugging along quite well for me. I'm going to try to find some more SMS games to test out the FM music, hopefully I can find Rastan and Vigilante.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see a 1.5 on their website. It's still on 1.4 since the 26th of last month, and on their site it does have a change log of everything.

Nusilver, you got me confused, no idea why Zelda would do that since you're doing it right. As far as Mother dropping frames I'm not sure. I do know that Mother a legit copy uses a different board and has FLASH chips for saving as well. Maybe the cheap chinese board just isn't handling itself like it should and due to the wrong type of save that was used against the real one, that is why the thing is having the save failure because you're writing one type back to a chip that is expecting another.

X2 and X3 supposedly work perfectly, I got rid of both as I didn't like them at least a year ago or I'd have been curious and looked too as I started on chipped SNES games when I got it to see how things worked.
    Interestingly enough, I discovered last night that it DOES write back to the cart, but only in the 2nd and 3rd slot. No idea what THAT is about.

And interestingly enough, my repro doesn't use a Chinese board -- it uses one of the Pokemon games. I can't recall which. Ruby or Emerald. Anyway. I don't expect it to be resolved any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I believe I read somewhere that any SMS game that has FM coded into it will default to that when run in the R5 unlike on real hardware which is kind of cool.

That really is screwy about Zelda, you should totally report that as it makes no sense at all. Also I had figured yours was a copy from retroquest and those were using new boards when they were first made as I got one back then and those were not repurposed pokemon boards. I'm not sure what to make of that.

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I called it, Garrett. He'd use the 'for shame, he's dead' response, being as he literally has no other defense. You owe me a $1, pay up.

Care to explain why you waited to make a post about Martin until AFTER HE DIED?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Port casts Brainwashed NA Member. Funny, I don't see Qixmaster here.
    Hi Dave,

I read digital press daily. sorry for not logging on for a LONG time. I hope you've been well. I'm actually really surprised the internet didn't break when you posted my name.

it's been too long.

smoochies
    Josh

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe I read somewhere that any SMS game that has FM coded into it will default to that when run in the R5 unlike on real hardware which is kind of cool.

That really is screwy about Zelda, you should totally report that as it makes no sense at all. Also I had figured yours was a copy from retroquest and those were using new boards when they were first made as I got one back then and those were not repurposed pokemon boards. I'm not sure what to make of that.
    Yeah, it's nuts. Retron Téch and I talked about it a bit, but there wasn't much resolved from it. More of a "just so you know."

Here's my mother 3 repro's board (on the left) - came from Retroquest. I'm curious what yours looks like! I've since replaced the horrible label. I'm not crazy, right? That's an original Nintendo board, the same one used in Pokemon emerald? Mine was like, order number 60 or so.

Hey Satoshi, you get your system yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSjHZ-rCQAAYZdm.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	7539
    Last edited by nusilver; 07-03-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qixmaster View Post
    Hi Dave,

I read digital press daily. sorry for not logging on for a LONG time. I hope you've been well. I'm actually really surprised the internet didn't break when you posted my name.

it's been too long.

smoochies
    Josh

Port dictated this message to me, as he is currently extremely busy:

Quote Originally Posted by From the Desk of Portnoyd
    Dear Sir or Madam Qixperson,

Yada yada thank you for validating my wizard skills. Has Bronty owned up the question I asked him? Hope all is well duder and/or mang. Talk to you again in another 3 years.

Very truly yours
    Port

(Signed) Port Noyd
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 07-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The game I had was retroquest too. Former owner Piko gifted me a copy for a lot of off and on work I was doing for him on the development of his stuff with Piko Interactive. The one on the left looks just like what I remember the board looking like. I'm not entirely certain the board itself was a chop shopped Emerald board. As I recall he had found a source out of china that printed new boards and threw their own chips and button cell battery on there. Perhaps it was a stolen board but what I remember was that they were supposed to be new parts with a re-writable chip on it to do with as you wish (ie: put Mother 3 on it.)

I do know annoyingly in more recent years some chinese pirates have started to brand their boards with Nintendo on them with a faux product code to dupe people who caught on to other ways of detecting fakes. The one thing those turds haven't managed to circumvent from what I remember is getting the things to boot on a DS or DSLite because they seem to have some piracy checker against fake GBA and DS titles where it just won't boot. I think that's why Pokemon games tend to take a good hit in value with the GBA stuff that has a battery in it because they're so convincing now on ebay it's too high of a gamble so it suppresses the values.

By the way since all the NA drama squad popped in, I'm not sure if Satoshi saw it or anyone else here, but as of 2 days ago someone posted over at NA a retron 5 for sale they got from amazon and decided they'd not want and would rather trade for zelda junk or cash. I know he's questionably banned there too so someone would have to be a middle man on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    digitalpress is a much better community, anyway.
    We just need a little bit more of an active moderation here and then I'd agree with you 100%.