Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man for Atari 2600

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Gang, this is a thread about Megaman on the 2600. Not an Atari 7800 vs. NES thread. If you wish to debate the merits/failures of these other systems and what games would be better/worse, please start another thread.
    I found that thread.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...highlight=7800

Are you able to merge the NES vs 7800 posts here into that one or is it not needed?
    Last edited by Sniderman; 04-28-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I found that thread.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...highlight=7800

Are you able to merge the NES vs 7800 posts here into that one or is it not needed?
    It's not needed. I'm trying to steer this thread back on target. But now that you provided a link, I would hope that the NES/7800 tete-a-tete could be continued there rather than cluttering up this thread with nonrelevant discussion.

P.S. Sorry that your message above has an "edited by sniderman" note. The "quote" button is right next to the "edit" button on my mod's panel. Thought I was quoting your message when I was actually adding my reply to it. Whatta dumbass I am...
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    very true.

vs

Seems like a good idea for a topic. Anyone interested? Just show screens of the earliest and latest games released. Maybe it was done already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Back on topic.......

When people say that Mega Man could never be done for the Atari 2600, they need to be careful. You can put ANY game on the 2600, at least in name only. It doesn't have to look or play good. It doesn't even have to resemble the original version. All it needs is the name and the license. The Tiger LCD games proved that. Tiger did a "version" of Street Fighter 2 on a standalone handheld and a "version" of Resident Evil 2 on a portable. Like it or not, those are versions of Street Fighter 2 and Resident Evil 2. Bad versions but still versions of those games.

The 2600 might not be able to do a legitimate version of Mega Man but the system can still do a version (using that term loosely). All that is needed would be the name and the license. Obviously, if Capcom isn't involved (either porting it or just allowing the use of the license) then it is a moot point.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If the Lynx could do Ninja Gaiden 3, why couldn't it do Mega Man?

Anyway, where's the rom for this demo? HAH!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

What is with GT lately? The colors are completely off!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Because Mega Man is a Trademark of Capcom, Can Capcom sue

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Some Games could work on the VCS, Like Tetris..But not Mega Man..The Master System could do it ..easy port of the Game Gear Mega Man..but the 2600 god no...I wonder how it plays on the real hardwear. Intelivision, 5200, Colecovision & the VCS NOT good for Mega Man
    There's already a Megaman game on the Colecovision. It's called Megaman: Rescue In Gargamel's Castle and it KICKS ASSSSSSSS!

I love that little blue guy.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mega Man 2600

Hi, as author of the playable Mega Man 2600 demo-game I'd like to tell you a little bit about this title.

The gameplay is very 'Mega Man'. I have, out of necessity, zoomed in the play area but have strived to keep the same physics, control and animation of the original. I support two buttons if you use a Genesis pad.

Without a two button controller, you are jumping with 'up' and shooting with 'fire.'

I am actually surprised at how well it came out even though I consider this version a prototype. It contains only a few screens without ladders, and enemies before a boss fight with Elec Man. The music is from Elec Man's level.

The demo-game fits in 16K. Mega Man on the NES was 128K. If I was to make a full game of at least 3 bosses it would probably be 32K to 64K.

The cart is using an extra 128 bytes of RAM (bringing the total to 256), but it probably wasn't necessary for the demo, it was just there for insurance.

- David Galloway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by David Galloway View Post
    Hi, as author of the playable Mega Man 2600 demo-game I'd like to tell you a little bit about this title.

The gameplay is very 'Mega Man'. I have, out of necessity, zoomed in the play area but have strived to keep the same physics, control and animation of the original. I support two buttons if you use a Genesis pad.

Without a two button controller, you are jumping with 'up' and shooting with 'fire.'

I am actually surprised at how well it came out even though I consider this version a prototype. It contains only a few screens without ladders, and enemies before a boss fight with Elec Man. The music is from Elec Man's level.

The demo-game fits in 16K. Mega Man on the NES was 128K. If I was to make a full game of at least 3 bosses it would probably be 32K to 64K.

The cart is using an extra 128 bytes of RAM (bringing the total to 256), but it probably wasn't necessary for the demo, it was just there for insurance.

- David Galloway
    Hey, thanks for posting! So you've actually burned the rom onto a cart? Cool!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

- David Galloway
    It is cool that the demo is on a cart. Is there any plans of make this into a full game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

- David Galloway
    Now we're getting somewhere, a lot of us were wondering some of the things you just posted about. If you don't mind me asking David, why did you choose the Elecman level? Was that for space reasons or is he simply your favorite robot from the game?

Welcome to the forums. You should stick around and post here on a regular basis or at least post in the introduction thread right here on Page 1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Regarding Elec Man + Cart

The Elec Man level was chosen partly because it was more of a vertical level which meant I didn't have to code horizontal scrolling. And yes he was my favorite robot and favorite background music from the game.

Some of you have mentioned the cartridge. To give some more information, it is a SARA board from AtariService.com using a translucent blue shell from VGWIZ. This board has only become recently available to homebrewers and delivers a lot more oomph for the homebrew author. If you recall back in the day, systems were compared on their RAM alone. SARA provides more RAM for a more detailed image.

I've attached a thumbnail of the cartridge label. It's no masterpiece, I had to throw it together quickly. Although I didn't do the music or all of the library routines, I did do all of the game coding and all of the art myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What happened if Capcom finds out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

he's not selling it so nothing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to add that Capcom was a sponser. I haven't talked to them but hopefully they like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, the gameplay looks pretty smooth for a 2600 game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That boss looks fake; too big for a real sprite.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I've attached a thumbnail of the cartridge label. It's no masterpiece,
    hey, it is WAY better than the art on the original!!!!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, they can, but probably wouldn't...if the programmer isn't making money off of it, they are unlikely to sue, especially on an obsolete game system. It is one of those rare cases where a company may even see their IP being used and say, "Oh cool!"

Some companies may sue in a case like this, but a company like Capcom is very unlikely to.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!