Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man for Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not bad for a homebrew.
    Gimmie a game, I'll either love it, or pimp-smack it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some Games could work on the VCS, Like Tetris..But not Mega Man..The Master System could do it ..easy port of the Game Gear Mega Man..but the 2600 god no...I wonder how it plays on the real hardwear. Intelivision, 5200, Colecovision & the VCS NOT good for Mega Man
    Last edited by MarioMania; 04-27-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Some Games could work on the VCS, Like Tetris..But not Mega Man..The Master System could do it ..easy port of the Game Gear Mega Man..but the 2600 god no...
    I bet the Atari Lynx could have handled any NES Mega Man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I bet the Atari Lynx could have handled any NES Mega Man.
    Could the Lynx handle all those different colors onscreen at once? Seems like the screenshots I've seen of the Lynx make it out to be a portable 7800...of course, I've never played one before so I'd love to be proven wrong. Reading the writeup in the Retro Gamer (back when it was boring, dry, and....FACTUAL), I realized just how far ahead of its time the system was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

List of Systems that handle Mega Man

Master System - Based off the Game Gear version
    Lynx - Could do a Game Boy Port
    Sega CD - Collection of the NES MM's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Sorry, I don't buy that. Show me a 7800 game that comes close to Mega Man graphically, let alone soundwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

List of Systems that handle Mega Man

Master System - Based off the Game Gear version
    Lynx - Could do a Game Boy Port
    Sega CD - Collection of the NES MM's
    This would have never happened but the Jaguar wouldn't have been a bad place to release a collection of the NES Mega Man games. Put a bunch of them on a Jaguar cart, the system would have been up for the task. The controller may have sucked for a lot of 16/32-bit games but it certainly would have worked for ports of the NES Mega Man's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The SMS would had one..The Game Gear is a Portable Master System with a screen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy that. Show me a 7800 game that comes close to Mega Man graphically, let alone soundwise.
    For sound there are options for the 7800. There are some options that being explored for developing homebrewgames with adding sound chip into a 7800 catridge. The options that have been looked at besides the pokey sound chip (sound chip used in the 7800 version of commando,ballblazer, beefdrop(aka burger time) 5200 & 8 bit computer games, is the YM2612 (same as in the Sega Genesis).

Remember with the 7800 during its day, atari didn't put money or support into the system. The atari 7800 is capable of having 512k games thanks to bankswitiching. Doing a 7800 Megaman game based on memory would be no problem. Based on 7800 games based that own based on graphics is Midnight mutants. The 7800 could do super Mario Brother style games like Scrap Yard dog. There is chance of similar game being able to be done like megaman as a result.

There have been people considering making nes style games for ther 7800 and there might be at this time, and I don't know it yet.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 04-27-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    The 7800 could do super Mario Brother style games like Scrap Yard dog has proven(although I haven't played it). There is chance of similar game being able to be done like megaman as a result.
    Your argument isn't a bad one until you say that you haven't played Scrapyard Dog, despite namedropping it. You might have wanted to leave that little detail out

Although you can find holes in this scenario, comparing the 7800 version of a game like Double Dragon, which has several screens/levels, to the NES version will give a little more insight into how the two systems stack up with each other. The NES version walks all over the 7800 copy in nearly every way.

It not only has better graphics and sound, it even has more bugs and glitches. Ha ha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well Atari didn't let the 7800 shine..So no body took 100% advanage of the Systems Power, It could have SMB like Graphics or sound...The Games only took maybe 50% of the Power..So Mega Man could have been done on the 7800...

Look at the First Gen Games of any system..then look at the Last gen Games of any System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well Atari didn't let the 7800 shine..So no body took 100% advanage of the Systems Power, It could have SMB like Graphics or sound...The Games only took maybe 50% of the Power..So Mega Man could have been done on the 7800...

Look at the First Gen Games of any system..then look at the Last gen Games of any System
    very true.

vs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Your argument isn't a bad one until you say that you haven't played Scrapyard Dog, despite namedropping it. You might have wanted to leave that little detail out

Although you can find holes in this scenario, comparing the 7800 version of a game like Double Dragon, which has several screens/levels, to the NES version will give a little more insight into how the two systems stack up with each other. The NES version walks all over the 7800 copy in nearly every way.

It not only has better graphics and sound, it even has more bugs and glitches. Ha ha.
    Commando would be a better comparison then double dragon for sound since Commando used a pokey sound chip inside the cartridge and has better sound then double dragon.

Double Dragon was developed by an inconsistant 7800 dev houses at best. That dev. house also made Touchdown Foot Ball,F-18 Hornet, Tomcat F-14 Fighter Simulator,Super Skateboardin',Fight Night. The dev house did make a good nes style games in Ikari Warriors. The dev. house did make other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

If you compare ballblazers, commandos, ikari warriors, xeviouses, or tower toppler/castelian, 7800 wins. No flicker, smoother framerates, or just plain better visuals.

Double Dragon and Rampage look shittier than the NES counterparts, but they play closer to the arcade game. At least 7800 Rampage has Ralph :P

Galaga is better on the NES, as are a few other games. But the 7800 could compete, if anyone back in the day had given it any funding.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    If you compare ballblazers, commandos, ikari warriors, xeviouses, or tower toppler/castelian, 7800 wins. No flicker, smoother framerates, or just plain better visuals.
    In turn, one could argue that the ports on the NES were done more sloppily than on the 7800. Arcade conversions were always the bread and butter of the 7800, and they do look better than the NES versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I agree about Xevious, it is way better on the 7800. Don't the NES versions of Commando and Ikari Warriors have more onscreen enemies, though? NES Commando is constantly sending soldiers running at you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I agree about Xevious, it is way better on the 7800. Don't the NES versions of Commando and Ikari Warriors have more onscreen enemies, though? NES Commando is constantly sending soldiers running at you.
    NES Commando has so much flicker and slowdown that it's practically unplayable. Whether or not it has more onscreen enemies is kind of a moot point if you can't see them :P

Don't remember on Ikari Warriors.

I also want to say that I prefer how Mario bros. plays on the 7800 vs the NES one, although that may just be personal preference. The DK games are practically the same outside of sound, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    In turn, one could argue that the ports on the NES were done more sloppily than on the 7800. Arcade conversions were always the bread and butter of the 7800, and they do look better than the NES versions.
    Not necessarily. The NES version of Galaga looks much better, and I'd say the same goes for Ms. Pac Man. It's just a simple fact that the 7800 is capable of working with more sprites than the NES that it can do most arcade games better(although the resolution used for most games is lower than that of the NES).

But if you look at the high-res mode used in Tower Toppler, and the graphics in late-gen 7800 titles like Scrapyard Dog(which is a nice platformer...smooth scrolling, relatively detailed, hard as hell), Midnight Mutants, Ninja Golf, and the like, they're close to what is usually considered "NES" graphics.
    Last edited by ubersaurus; 04-28-2007 at 01:46 PM.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

let's end this

Mega Man could be done on the 7800 with the pokey chip. You never know what the 7800 can really do..Remember Atari used prolly 25 or 45% of the Power

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

NES Commando has so much flicker and slowdown that it's practically unplayable. Whether or not it has more onscreen enemies is kind of a moot point if you can't see them :P
    Consider the NES version an early game in the stealth genre. Just when you think you are safe, an enemy appears out of the shadows right in front of your character. Other enemies disappear into the mist just as you are about to blast them.

In all seriousness, I've played the NES version of Commando so much that the flicker and slowdown becomes second nature. I actually enjoy it, but would rather play Ikari Warriors or Guerrilla War. I haven't touched a 7800 in forever but do remember having that version of Commando having less enemies. I guess my source isn't a link or game review, just my memory.

I still wish I had a 7800, though.
    Last edited by bangtango; 04-28-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gang, this is a thread about Megaman on the 2600. Not an Atari 7800 vs. NES thread. If you wish to debate the merits/failures of these other systems and what games would be better/worse, please start another thread.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...