Thread: How do you clean your systems and games?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do you clean your systems and games?

Hi all.
    I'm new to the RoundTable and an avid collector for many systems and games. But, generally a problem with collecting them is cleaning them, especially when you get them from Ebay.

I was wondering how do you guys clean system and games and keep them clean? Is there a special solution you use to get the scratches and dirt off of used games and portable screens? What rituals do you do to keep them in pristine form?

This thread is open all systems, retro and modern, and should be considered a place to share cleaning ideas and techniques.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 01-24-2008 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

One of the best ways I've seen is frequently used by a shop owner I know in Downtown Waukesha.

Depending if you can track the specialized bit down open up a cartridge and rub a standard eraser against the contacts.

That or cut the eraser so it will fit in the groove. Whatever is easier.

Your preference..

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

To clean the plastic shells of game consoles, I use "scrubbing bubbles" type foaming cleanser on any part that doesn't have paper labels. For the fine line crevices that often get caked with dirt, I employ a soft toothbrush.

Once the system is clean, windex and a delicate fiber cleaning cloth usually does a fine job.

As far as "scratches" ... those aren't something that can be "removed" except in the case of re-surfacing a CD or DVD. If you're just looking to get the game working, I've personally found that the manual crank style "Disc Doctor" brand machine does a decent job, but it's just shaving a fine layer off the disc's plastic ... and not adding anything, so only use it as a last resort.

And in the case of "screen scratches" new screen plastic can be purchased and applied to systems like Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and PSP...though, we're just talking about the screen plastic ... damaged LCD screens themselves are often a more costly and complex repair job that's usually not worth the time and money.

And as far as cartridge contacts go, dry erasers can do the job on low-level oxidation. I've also employed isopropyl alcohol on low-shred q-tips, and most recently - professional grade metal polish (the non-stripping, sealing kind) and found that it does a great job of both removing oxidation, and restoring the copper contacts to near factory-fresh condition.

In the case of EXTREME oxidation (to the point of green-mold-type crud) I've been able to rescue some cartridges with a combination of alcohol and very delicate use of a scotch-brite pad. (Though, be careful, you can totally strip the copper contacts.)

For internal console contacts, a bit of alcohol applied to a cartridge contact strip and a repeated insert/remove action can sometimes do what you need it to.

Stay tuned, you'll surely get lots of varying advice from all the members here.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I strap all my games and systems to the top of my car and run it through the car wash.

It's the only way to be sure.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    I strap all my games and systems to the top of my car and run it through the car wash.

It's the only way to be sure.
    I was going to say that I throw all my stuff in the dishwasher on the Pots and Pans cycle, but the car wash is a much better idea!

Actually, I do used the dishwasher on console cases and it works great. Mainly do the 'lids' of NES toasters since they are such a pain otherwise, but I've also done the lid of a Genesis (I forgot if the LED came out or if I just ran it through, but either way it was fine). I'd only put them on the top rack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

You don't even need to strap them to your car if you have a convertable.

And the dishwasher idea isn't as crazy as it sounds. We put PC boards in a regular dishwasher at work to wash off the solder flux on some boards. Probally not a good idea in general though. It does sound like a good idea for cases though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A special mixture of dog shampoo, saliva, and jack daniels, I won't tell you the ratio though you'll have to experiment with that. My dog over in my avatar like the mixture too.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For games, I just use rubbing alcohol and Q-tips, both to clean the contacts and the cart shell. For systems, I disassemble the entire thing and clean the shell as I would with dishes. Motherboards get the alcohol/Q-tip treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Thread moved to the Tech and Restoration Forum

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I've personally found that the manual crank style "Disc Doctor" brand machine does a decent job
    You may hear varying opinions, but I would not use a Disc Doctor, or any other crack ma-jig. Go and find some one that has a professional machine to clean your games up for like 2 bucks a pop. However, remember that Dreamcast games are usually ruined when attempted to be resurfaced.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MonoTekETeA View Post
    You may hear varying opinions, but I would not use a Disc Doctor, or any other crack ma-jig. Go and find some one that has a professional machine to clean your games up for like 2 bucks a pop. However, remember that Dreamcast games are usually ruined when attempted to be resurfaced.
    While I agree that disc "sanders" are generally a bad idea, I got one for free at a Game Stop managers convention a bunch of years back, and have used it on several CD and DVD based games (and a few music CD's) that were scratched/un-playable to successful results.

If you have the option to get them pro-re-surfaced, I'd say by all means go for it, but if you don't, and you have a CD or DVD based game that's scratched, won't play or won't play clearly (video/audio stutter), is not a 10+ rarity, and not worth upwards of $100, that you'd like to try to get working, I will stand by the effectiveness of the (and ONLY the) "Disc Doctor" brand crank-a-ma-jig (not the motorized one).
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"