Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sony Euro boss: Japanese Vita sales not indicative of international reception [Joysti

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    A year or two ago I would have said you were crazy, but now I'm just as sure that you're correct. Heck, even Sony is sort of aware of that possibility with its Xperia phones. I think the one niche market that may still embrace handheld dedicated gaming systems will be children and pre-teens, many of whom actually have smartphones and iPads now, but whose parents might not want them using a smartphone for gaming due to the potential airtime and data costs and the high cost of replacing the devices if they are lost or damaged. I do have to say that I am both saddened and oddly intrigued by the possibility that this might be the last generation of dedicated gaming handhelds.
    I hope it's not true, but it could be. The only thing that's a big barrier to this right now is that if people want to buy this gaming phone, they're gonna have to go with a cell carrier that supports it. Many people will have to wait for their contract to be up, or break contract. That's not a cheap prospect.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.125757,-118.158437

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's also funny how much of a hypocrite you are.
    , wut?

Alright.....

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    If I were Sony..I WOULD be worried. Not only is the 3DS half the cost of the PSVita, but it has a slew of killer games out already and a whole bunch more on the horizon. I'm still blown away that the big Japanese release was Uncharted...which is as Western of a game as you can really get. Sony needs a killer game to drive people to buy their handheld. PSP sold very well in Japan (although still not as well as the DS), they can do it again if they have the right games and right price.

Personally I will most likely not own a Vita until a price drop...thats way too much for a handheld system that has no games I want to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    If I were Sony..I WOULD be worried. Not only is the 3DS two thirds the cost of the PSVita, but it has two killer games out already and barely anything on the horizon. I'm still blown away that the big Japanese release was Uncharted...which is as Western of a game as you can really get. Sony needs a killer game to drive people to buy their handheld. PSP sold very well in Japan (although still not as well as the DS), they can do it again if they have the right games and right price.

Personally I will most likely not own a Vita until a price drop...thats way too much for a handheld system that has no games I want to play.
    Fixed.
    Hypocrisy, thy name is kupomogil.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    , wut?

Alright.....

Hypocrisy, thy name is kupomogil.
    So where in that quote am I being a hypocrite, I'm not the one who bought a system for $250 then stating the system following that one is overpriced. Nor did I bitch about the PS Vita and stating as fact that Sony is pushing the Vita a certain way when Nintendo has been pushing the 3DS on those very things you're bitching about the Vita about(more so infact.)

The quote that I fixed, I fixed everything wrong with the post. The 3DS is two thirds the cost of the Vita, not one half. If the 3DS was half the cost of the Vita then it'd be $125. The 3DS "does" have only two games worth owning at this time. It also has barely anything on the horizon. Luigi's Mansion 2 has no definite release date. No one cares about Kid Icarus other than the Nintendo fanboy. One of two games I was interested in that had a release date I lost interest in once playing the demo, although I'll probably end up getting it still.

There's a differnce between me bashing Nintendo and you bashing Sony. You're listing reasons that have been clearly done by Nintendo as of recent time. You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-23-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post

All its going to take is for someone to design a smart phone that has good gaming controls yet isn't overly clunky. When I'm on the road I don't want to have to carry both a smart phone and a portable gaming device, especially when the smart phone can play the games. The writing is on the wall IMO. I'm just waiting for it to happen.

That's the problem though.... How do you have a smartphone with good gaming controls? Good gaming controls means that you need dual thumbsticks, and a D-Pad, plus several buttons. You put all of that, on a phone with a large touchscreen, and very quickly you end up with a super bulky phone. I'm not sure how somebody is going to figure it out. The buttons and thumsticks are going to need to be hidden somehow, and then you hit a button and they pop out for use.... Something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The buttons and thumsticks are going to need to be hidden somehow, and then you hit a button and they pop out for use.... Something like that.
    The bat phone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So where in that quote am I being a hypocrite, I'm not the one who bought a system for $250 then stating the system following that one is overpriced. Nor did I bitch about the PS Vita and stating as fact that Sony is pushing the Vita a certain way when Nintendo has been pushing the 3DS on those very things you're bitching about the Vita about(more so infact.)

The quote that I fixed, I fixed everything wrong with the post. The 3DS is two thirds the cost of the Vita, not one half. If the 3DS was half the cost of the Vita then it'd be $125. The 3DS "does" have only two games worth owning at this time. It also has barely anything on the horizon. Luigi's Mansion 2 has no definite release date. No one cares about Kid Icarus other than the Nintendo fanboy. One of two games I was interested in that had a release date I lost interest in once playing the demo, although I'll probably end up getting it still.

There's a differnce between me bashing Nintendo and you bashing Sony. You're listing reasons that have been clearly done by Nintendo as of recent time. You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    This is one of the most hilarious posts on the internet, such poor use of the English language on display.

The quote that I fixed, I fixed everything wrong with the post.
    You're listing reasons that have been clearly done by Nintendo as of recent time. You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate.
    Does your keyboard not have a comma key, or are you obsessed with using periods? The second paragraph was a comma free zone.

Sorry for being a bit hard on you, but all you've done in this thread is attack and criticize people with no grounding whatsoever. It's painful to read especially when your grammar suggests that you're in junior high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moggles View Post
    This is one of the most hilarious posts on the internet, such poor use of the English language on display.
    One of the most poor uses of the English language would be something that is illegible. Regardless of how non professional my grammar may be, my writing and spelling is legible.

Maybe I could start proof reading all of my posts because someone might see them and give me an award for how well written my post is on a message board. Or maybe I couldn't care less because, oh that's right, it's a fucking message board.

And just for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by moggles the jackass
    The lack of TV advertising is a problem too, I am still yet to see to one!
    You butcher the English language then reply about about missing commas. Granted that's probably an error, but doesn't make it look any better.

By the way. You're off topic, jackass.

Until there are games that fully take advantage of the rear panel, I can't see demand increasing. The marketing is quite lame as well, your average Joe doesn't know that it has a touch screen and rear touch panel, it seems that Sony just assumes people know all about it already.
    Uncharted makes use of every feature on the Vita aside from the camera. Gyroscope when aiming with any weapon, six axis when swinging on an object, back touch panel when scaling walls, and the touch screen has many uses.

Little Deviants is a collection of mini games that make use of most of the features. Some mini games are dedicated to one specific feature, such as the back touch panel for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6upMOyHRBTI

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair, you're both sounding a bit too zealous over your positions right now.

I don't know what the 3DS games that are killer apps are right now. I'm guessing the two that are being referred to are Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7. The thing is that neither of those are killer apps for everyone -- they are Mario games, and the Mario audience does skew a little younger or to those of us who don't mind playing a more cartoon-like game. Neither of these games attracts a much older audience yet as it's core. It attracts some people, yes, but they are within a relatively narrow and pre-determined scope. The DS took off when they started making games that expanded the horizons of the console with games like Brain Age (that got old people to use it) and things like Nintendogs that got young kids to beg for it and be a reason they needed the DS instead of the Game Boy Advance.

While both Mario Land and Mario 7 are great games I'm certain (I do own a 3DS, I don't own those games), there are similar titles on the DS and therefore I don't think they hit a nerve in the market to get people to beg for them. It's why Nintendogs and Cats didn't do so hot -- It's the same basic idea as a game people already own, so unless it's totally awesome, that is a game they *will get* when they eventually get the console, not a system seller.

Anywho, this was the *exact knock* that the PSP had on it for, well, for it's entire lifespan basically. It didn't have any titles that were truly unique to the play style, and it just felt like you were playing "PS2 games on the go." Personally, I love it for that, but it's hard to convince people you need a PSP when you have another console that does the same thing, and you're comparing it to another console that does different stuff.

The Vita is more expensive than the 3DS at the moment, and neither yet has killer apps that are enough to make people get them over something else. They'll come eventually as both consoles are unique enough in hardware, it just depends on when they come. I do think the 3DS has the leg up because most phones don't do 3D, but with Nintendo continually messing around with the hardware (or rumors of it), that would give the edge to the Vita. It'll be interesting though to see what happens.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

This thread is top grade stuff.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    You know how Sony could convince me to buy a Vita? Sell PS3 games with a Vita copy included, so I can play (roughly) the same game on both systems. If Sony wants a killer app, imagine playing Call of Duty on PS3 servers on the Vita. There's the market for these things; allow people to play their favorite multi-player console games on the go using the same servers the console versions utilize. Bundle in a good shooter (ex: Killzone) and Sony has a huge advantage over the 3DS.
    I was thinking about how nice it would have been if I were able to purchase both the Xbox and PC versions of Skyrim in one pack rather than having to purchase both separately. As much as I'd like to see that I doubt it would ever happen though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sell PS3 games with a Vita copy included
    It's going to happen, but only first party titles. Or atleast it's only available with first party titles at the moment.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011...n-one-package/

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011...same%E2%80%9D/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks like Sony is starting to rethink pricing a little bit, at least on the 3G system. Amazon is now offering a bundle with an 8GB memory card and a free game download, as well as 30 days of 3G service free if you preorder the 3G version at $300. I would assume other retailers will offer this package as well as it appears to be printed on the 3G box and not Amazon exclusive.

On a totally unrelated note, the MSRP of Resident Evil Revelations for the 3DS was officially dropped to $40 by Capcom today as a result of public pressure. Hopefully Sony will do the same for Uncharted on the Vita.