Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Punch-Out!! for Wii - Official Thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Short review...

Good:

1.) It's Punch-Out.
    2.) The PC police didn't neuter any of the (non)stereotypes.
    3.) Great control using the Wiimote (NES-style).
    4.) Fun, yet very challenging.
    5.) Further proof that even developers think motion control is a silly gimmick.

Bad:

1. Graphics. The Wii is doing it's best. Unfortunately it's not 2001 anymore. The characters look decent, but that's only because your mind is comparing it with the previous 2D Punchouts. For a modern game it looks embarrassing.
    2.) No "records" section. The only stats this game keeps track of is wins and losses. The omission of statistics (like how fast you defeated an opponent or tallying a final score for the match) really limits the replayability. Stats with online leaderboards would've been awesome.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Bad:
    2.) No "records" section. The only stats this game keeps track of is wins and losses. The omission of statistics (like how fast you defeated an opponent or tallying a final score for the match) really limits the replayability. Stats with online leaderboards would've been awesome.
    Holy Jesus.

There was a very small part of me that was still thinking about picking this game up, since Punch-Out has been a part of my life ever since I had a memory. That part of me just died. I squeezed YEARS out of Super Punch-Out by constantly trying to beat my old times. That's a real shame that records weren't included this time around.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    To each his own...it's far more sad that people buy all their shit on Amazon.com instead of a local brick-and-mortar store that needs the business to pay their rent and their wages (chain store or not). Sometimes it's a substantial savings to buy online, but people will often buy stuff from online sources just to save a dollar or two. Regardless, day of release sales on hot items like this are one of the few things left that retail stores can actually make money on.

I'm not saying I never buy anything from Amazon, and I'm not trying to derail the thread here, but pretty soon you'll have to buy just about everything from Amazon because there won't be any retail stores left. No one wants to pay the extra dollar or two (or five, or whatever) that an actual store charges on any given item.
    I actually saved almost $19 plus my time and gas when you include California tax by buying from Amazon in this case. I certainly support brick and mortar independently owned stores, but I'm not going to extend that to feeling like I have to support Best Buy, Gamestop and every other chain which makes no effort to provide good service or the lowest prices on a daily basis. Amazon pays taxes, rent and lots of salaries too, so there really is no difference in buying from them and saving some money and buying from some multi-national big box retailer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I actually saved almost $19 plus my time and gas when you include California tax by buying from Amazon in this case. I certainly support brick and mortar independently owned stores, but I'm not going to extend that to feeling like I have to support Best Buy, Gamestop and every other chain which makes no effort to provide good service or the lowest prices on a daily basis. Amazon pays taxes, rent and lots of salaries too, so there really is no difference in buying from them and saving some money and buying from some multi-national big box retailer.

You can save on gas by just riding a bike! Just thought I would say it.

Anyways, I'm still undecided if I want to pick this game up tomorrow or not. Seems like its fun, but extreamly sort. I'll probably end up getting it though since I haven't gotten a new game in a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah View Post
    Holy Jesus.

There was a very small part of me that was still thinking about picking this game up, since Punch-Out has been a part of my life ever since I had a memory. That part of me just died. I squeezed YEARS out of Super Punch-Out by constantly trying to beat my old times. That's a real shame that records weren't included this time around.
    I agree 100%. Why in the world would they exclude the very feature that provides the most replayability? It's like a Mario Kart game not recording lap times in Time Trial mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree completely that the omission of the time records is ridiculous. That was a big part of Super Punch Out.

I mean, it wouldn't have taken any effort to include it. They would have to redo the graphics, add music or game modes or anything... just include a timer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    the omission of the time records is ridiculous.
    That would've been a nice feature, for sure. Then again, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! on the NES doesn't have time records or a leaderboard and I still have fun playing it, more than two decades later.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

So is this game worth a buy? It looks and sounds REALLY good, and I'm really interested. I want to make sure that I'll be having as much fun as I do with Mike Tyson's Punch-Out as I would with this game.

Also, how are the Motion controls?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got it yesterday and beaten the game today. To sum it up....it's worthy every penny of the 50 bucks I spent on it.

The model design and animation are comical and superb. Loving all the little things the developers added to keep old characters fresh and interesting. Like Don Flamengo's toupee falling off or Popinski going roidrage from drinking a drop of soda.

Getting the World Circuit Belt was only half the fun cause everyone you beat comes back tougher than before. When I mean tough, I mean I lost to the Glass Joe three times before I crushed his cream-filled pastry behind. If you think Sandman was tough, you haven't seen anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Also, how are the Motion controls?
    You waggle the Wiimote and nunchunk to deal punches i.e. waggling the Wiimote jabs right and waggling nunchunk jabs left. Push the control stick up while waggling to throw uppercuts. Moving control stick controls Mac's dodging and ducking.

Only played the game with classic NES controls (a smart move by Nintendo IMO), however spent little time with motion controls. Going to try beating all 13 fighters to see if it was worth it.

1. Graphics. The Wii is doing it's best. Unfortunately it's not 2001 anymore. The characters look decent, but that's only because your mind is comparing it with the previous 2D Punchouts. For a modern game it looks embarrassing.
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out consisted of the same background with a cast of characters that are headswapped and color swapped versions of one another. Sandman is Bald Bull given dark brown skin and gray shorts swapping in Sandman's scary-as-hell mug. It wasn't the most graphically advanced for its time and why should it change now?
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! wasn't graphically advanced at the time? I disagree. In 1987, Punch-Out was a graphical showcase on the NES. The characters were half the size of the TV screen and were nicely animated, including facial expressions...and no flicker or slowdown whatsoever.

No other 8-bit game featured sprites that large and well-animated.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 05-21-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! wasn't graphically advanced at the time? I disagree. In 1987, Punch-Out was a graphical showcase on the NES. The characters were half the size of the TV screen and were nicely animated, including facial expressions...and no flicker or slowdown whatsoever.

It's the most visually pleasing, that I agree, but its hard to graphically compare a fixed background and 2 stationary sprites to other great games like Castlevania handling 3 or more moving sprites and a scrolling screen with ease.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Say, are the audio tracks from this game available somewhere? They sound pretty awesome in the game footage.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I would never criticize anyone for wanting to save money. But I expect the same when I choose to get it on day one and not have to wait (not saying you did that to me).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post

I strongly disagree. It was a December, 1987 release and they had to make the fighter a midget because the NES couldn't handle making him transparent, something the original arcade version did in 1984.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

After playing it a few more hours I still think the graphics are awful, but this is one of those cases where the gameplay is so fantastic that you don't notice during the action. Very fun game.

Does anyone else (who owns it) feel like there just isn't that much game in there? Once you beat the fighters and their 3 challenges...what is there to do? Not much. You can't even improve your score or times...because they don't exist.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone else (who owns it) feel like there just isn't that much game in there? Once you beat the fighters and their 3 challenges...what is there to do? Not much. You can't even improve your score or times...because they don't exist.
    Have you played the exhibition matches? They keep track of time and satisfying all three challenges will unlock their respected music and dialogue (what's the point without subtitles ) in the audio gallery. Not to mention, there's the title bout circuit where all 13 fighters' difficulty dial set to 11. So, that will keep you busy for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Not to mention, there's the title bout circuit where all 13 fighters' difficulty dial set to 11. So, that will keep you busy for a while.
    I'm having a hard enough time with the upper level characters on the default difficulty.

In other news...Donkey Kong is a secret character (to fight Mac)...

http://kotaku.com/5263565/punch+out-...cret-character

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I strongly disagree. It was a December, 1987 release and they had to make the fighter a midget because the NES couldn't handle making him transparent, something the original arcade version did in 1984.
    a 1983 console that couldnt replicate 1984 custom arcade hardware? shocking

Punchout had top-notch NES character graphics and animation, and in 1987 these were top of the line, not to be matched or surpassed until Mega Man 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time records seemed important in Super Punch Out because the fighters posed no challenge, so the only challenge was to try for fast times.

I hope Nintendo knows that thousands of people across North America are saying "Why is this guy constantly talking about chocolate?" It must be some sort of inside joke at the dev house.

I have played once so far and got to Piston Hondo. I used the motion controls, balance board and all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Time records seemed important in Super Punch Out because the fighters posed no challenge, so the only challenge was to try for fast times.

I hope Nintendo knows that thousands of people across North America are saying "Why is this guy constantly talking about chocolate?" It must be some sort of inside joke at the dev house.

I have played once so far and got to Piston Hondo. I used the motion controls, balance board and all.

How is it with everything?

I just picked it up this morning, and just played 2 fights. It's pretty fun with the motion controls. I guess there is a delay, but it's hardly noticable. Maybe it will be more in tougher fights. There is a lack of game modes, but it still is pretty good. I just wish there was online, or a more fleshed out carrer mode. I still can't wait to play multiplayer, and have some tourneys!