Thread: Why did Mario trade up Peaches for Daisies in the late Eighties?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why did Mario trade up Peaches for Daisies in the late Eighties?

I recently decided to re-visit my portable youth in the form of, you guessed it, the original Gameboy. Of course one of the first titles I had to re-acquire was the classic "Super Mario Land", and I have been analyzing the changes from console to handheld that had occured with the handheld debute.

Now, I know the game was designed by the late great Gunpei Yokoi and that he incorporated his own design elements that were out of the norm for the traditional Mario (although fresh and fantastic in my opinion), but I still have to wonder after all of these years. Why wouldn't he keep Mario true to Princess Peach/Toadstool? Who is this Daisy anyway? A little fling hidden in dot matrix? I previously had much respect for Mario, but now I am not so sure.

The real question is: Did Peach ever know?

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, if you look at it this way, whatever happened to Pauline from Donkey Kong? Mario dumped her after he met Peach for the first time? She dumped him and decided to go for DK after all? That's still a untold story...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Well, if you look at it this way, whatever happened to Pauline from Donkey Kong? Mario dumped her after he met Peach for the first time? She dumped him and decided to go for DK after all? That's still a untold story...
    Ahh, yes. The Pauline "incident". If I recall correctly, it was discovered by Mario shortly after the rescue that Pauline actually *enjoyed* being caged up by large apes....amongst other sick and twisted submissive acts. Of course Mario had a higher standard and couldn't live this way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Super Mario Land doesn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom. It instead takes place in Sarasaland, of which Daisy is the princess of.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The relationship between Mario and Daisy is strictly business. Here's the story:

When Daisy got kidnapped, her kingdom summoned the one-plumber princess-saving army, Mario. However, he wasn't inclined to as he was booked for the next decade booking deals, autograph meetings, publicity events, oh and kicking Bowser's tail for the one-billionth time. The townsfolk begged their savior to help. The king himself graveled at his feet as he were God himself and offered his daughter's hand in marriage. Imagine the bad press if it were leaked he was "two-timing" Peach with Daisy, how his career will spiral in the toilet of despair, how many sexless nights he'll endure as he plays with himself. Mario opted to help bring Daisy under the incentive they build him a castle in his honor and add in a submarine and a plane, all upfront, and in exchange, pushed them in between saving Peach from Dark Land and Dinosaur World. How else do you think he got that castle in the Mario Land 2?

That, as they say, is that.

As for Peach, I doubt she cares cause how many princesses can say their boyfriend has a castle with the world's biggest jacoozy built in? (chicks love jacoozies
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The relationship between Mario and Daisy is strictly business. Here's the story:

When Daisy got kidnapped, her kingdom summoned the one-plumber princess-saving army, Mario. However, he wasn't inclined to as he was booked for the next decade booking deals, autograph meetings, publicity events, oh and kicking Bowser's tail for the one-billionth time. The townsfolk begged their savior to help. The king himself graveled at his feet as he were God himself and offered his daughter's hand in marriage. Imagine the bad press if it were leaked he was "two-timing" Peach with Daisy, how his career will spiral in the toilet of despair, how many sexless nights he'll endure as he plays with himself. Mario opted to help bring Daisy under the incentive they build him a castle in his honor and add in a submarine and a plane, all upfront, and in exchange, pushed them in between saving Peach from Dark Land and Dinosaur World. How else do you think he got that castle in the Mario Land 2?

That, as they say, is that.

As for Peach, I doubt she cares cause how many princesses can say their boyfriend has a castle with the world's biggest jacoozy built in? (chicks love jacoozies
    i lol'd
    meow :3

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I refuse to call her anything other than Princess Toadstool...no matter what they say in Japan.

Also, it is Dr. Robotnik.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Mario opted to help bring Daisy under the incentive they build him a castle in his honor and add in a submarine and a plane, all upfront, and in exchange, pushed them in between saving Peach from Dark Land and Dinosaur World. How else do you think he got that castle in the Mario Land 2?
    I never thought of it that way. That's downright plausible!

I suppose the alternative would be to try what some folks have done with Zelda, and start talking about successive generations of plumber-warriors named Mario who are different people despite having the same name and similar appearances. (It would explain the complete absence of Luigi in some cases, after all.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why did Mario moonlight with Daisy on the side while still being with Peach? Two reasons. First, pimping ain't easy. And second, Luigi wasn't man enough so Mario decided to tackle this mission alone. And thus Luigi had to resort to playing with his self....in a mansion....by using a vacuum cleaner in a very American Pie-esque way that I don't feel comfortable enough to write about. But yeah, Mario's got game. Didn't you ever wonder why he has so many sports titles named after him?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mario is a playa, plain and simple. My N-word.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Mario is a playa, plain and simple. My N-word.
    Yes, Mario is a remnant of an endorheic lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playa

That hasn't been done before, has it?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)