Thread: Active Life - Outdoor Challenge - REVIEW! (wipes sweat from forehead)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Active Life - Outdoor Challenge - REVIEW! (wipes sweat from forehead)

Last month I decided to use some DP store credit that was burning a hole in my pocket on a mint-condition NES Power Pad, and a near-complete set of US Power Pad releases (except for Dance Aerobics).

Even though I grew up with the NES (it was the first game system that I saved up enough money to buy shoveling driveways one winter) and went on years later to manage a Funcoland during the height of it's NES buying/selling ... I had never, ever played with, or owned a Power Pad.

Amdist the hype of Wii Fit, I was pleasantly surprised with the sweat-busting high cardio workout that the Power Pad turned out to be ... and in my internet travels researching the device and it's games post-purchase I came across the Bandai/Namco "Active Life" (Family Trainer in Japan) set for the Wii. Quite the serendipity of it's impending release just weeks after my introduction to the Power Pad.

Today I was poking around online to see WHEN this title was dropping ... and the answer I found was ... TODAY!

So, I popped on over to my local Best Buy (the only place that had it in their online inventory) and I had to force the store clerk to go "get one from the back". *sigh* yeah ... don't put the new stuff out where people can SEE IT, maybe even BUY IT?!

The pad is very very reminiscent of the Power Pad in it's shape and size, but the FABRIC that it's made out of is much different ... I would imagine it's similar to DDR pads - it's a synthetic fabric, sort of like a rayon/denim blend, and unlike the classic Power Pad, it won't "stick" to your feet if you want to run on it barefoot. It's also only one-sided ... so unlike the classic Power Pad, there's no numbered side that will never get used for any games

The Box claims that this will be the first in a series of games ... which I find very promising, because the first game is PRETTY DAMNED GOOD.

Active Life "Outdoor Challenge" is like a cross-breed of the classic Power-Pad games like Super Team Games and Stadium Events AND Wii Sports. It uses your Miis, AND it combines the standard Wiimote with several of the events.

The "events" (there are about 17 with varying difficulties which expand the depth of what goes on) can be played in succession in "adventure" mode ... or once they're unlocked, can be played by themselves.

I'd be tempted to call them "mini games" ... but the amount of physical activity you put into them leaves me feeling like that would be a disservice to the overall package.

The game itself consists of a few 1 and 2 player modes.

"Adventure mode" which has 1 or 2 players play (either competitively or co-operatively) in consecutive events back-to-back (3 in easy mode, 4 in medium, 5 in hard, etc.) and the designers did a good job of making sure that you're not hammered with intense cardio type "running" events over and over. One event will have you running and jumping, and the next will have you playing a whack-a-mole, where you're pretty stationary.

"Exercise mode" is like the exercise mode in Wii Sports. It uses the same games as the adventure mode and tracks your progress from day to day or week to week ... it doesn't do any calorie calculations, but it measures your activity in "AP" (Activity Points) and tracks your progress.

"Free play" you get to pick one event for one or two players (a majority need to be unlocked in adventure mode first) and go for a high score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP9OoI6XLmk

Here's a video of some of the game in action ... the voice-over is a bit grating, but if you want to get an idea of what this plays like, that's it.

My favorite event is the "tube slider" ... think "Stun Runner" while sitting on your butt directing the action with your hands. Super fun.

It all looks and sounds pretty basic, and it is in a good way ... the pedigree of being designed by Bandai (the original designers of the NES Power Pad and most of it's good software) and Namco ... the high level of polish on the hardware and software, it's VERY functional and works exactly as you'd want it to (thanks I'd imagine to years of dance pad advances) the Wii "party game" appeal, and the MUCH higher impact workout than Wii Fit are all positives that just might make this a sleeper hit.

This is a great addition to the innovation that Wii is bringing to the table, and a perfect fit for fans of games like the original NES Power Pad, Track & Field, Eye Toy Play, or Wii Sports.

$60 MSRP, and it could be a collector's gem down the line if it doesn't sell well. Who knows.

I'm looking forward to see what Bandai/Namco has in store for the "Active Life" series in the future, but even if nothing else comes, I'm sure I'll enjoy this one for the years to come ... and I can guarantee playing this daily will make you lose more weight than doing yoga and hula-hooping on Wii Fit.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Man I used to play with the powerpad every night. Had I continued to use it maybe I wouldn't be such a fatass. I'm gonna have to look into this game sometime. How many buttons is that? just 8 and the + / - ?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I was intrigued by this. Nice to hear it's not a total cop-out like I expected.

Quick, buy them up before Nintendo buys the rights and puts out their own, jsut like the Power Pad!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It looks pretty fun, especially the running and speed skating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Man I used to play with the powerpad every night. Had I continued to use it maybe I wouldn't be such a fatass. I'm gonna have to look into this game sometime. How many buttons is that? just 8 and the + / - ?
    Yup.

You can stomp on the health and safety warnings ... but they don't do anything.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-11-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I came across the Bandai/Namco "Active Life" (Family Trainer in Japan) set for the Wii.

Today I was poking around online to see WHEN this title was dropping ... and the answer I found was ... TODAY!
    Thanks for the review! I had forgotten about this game and now I'm interested again. I'm definitely going to check it out. Maybe the Best Buy I go to will have it hidden in the back room, too.

Though for the record, it was released two days ago on Tuesday, September 9.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Track & Field for the New Generation.

I remembered when my mom and dad bought the Power Pad cause they were afraid video games would make my brother and I fat. I can't count how many fun weekends we had playing Track & Field with my family. Outdoing each other's best records. we got a good workout it to boot. Good times!

$60 is a bit steep, but I'm keeping it on my radar. One addition to the list of good 3rd party Wii titles.

Thanks for heads up, Frank!
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Does this use a gamecube plug, by the way?
    Last edited by Cryomancer; 09-11-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Does this use a gamecube plug, by the way?
    Yes. Yes it does.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Track & Field for the New Generation.

I remembered when my mom and dad bought the Power Pad cause they were afraid video games would make my brother and I fat. I can't count how many fun weekends we had playing Track & Field with my family. Outdoing each other's best records. we got a good workout it to boot. Good times!

$60 is a bit steep, but I'm keeping it on my radar. One addition to the list of good 3rd party Wii titles.

Thanks for heads up, Frank!
    Considering $60 is for the game and the pad? That's an excellent price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Yes. Yes it does.
    Oh my. That means it could quite possibly work on PC as well. Powerpad emulation!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Considering $60 is for the game and the pad? That's an excellent price.
    True, yet it'll most likely drop in price due to poor advertisement. I haven't seen any commercial for it on any local or family channels yet. What's the point in putting time and effort in a game where your target audience doesn't know it exists. Why not set aside a few grand and put it on TV getting the word out?

Look at Carnival Games, it has sold 2 million units so far, pounding the hell out of Metroid Prime, Okami, and Resident Evil. Why? They saw it on TV. Seriously, great titles (like the above mentioned) can excel in sales when companies aren't too cheap to shell out for a little advertisement.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Active Life: Outdoor Challenge for $60 at Target last week. I've played it a few times so far.

I've played through most of the events. Running, log jumping, inline skating, snowboarding, whack-a-mole, and jump rope are fun! However, I don't like kayaking. It's boring and frustrating. Am I missing something? Am I doing it incorrectly?

Events can be played individually or strung together in different modes. I tried one of the hard modes and it was intense. Sprinting in place for several minutes is crazy!

Overall, Active Life: Outdoor Challenge is not for people who are looking for a deep, "serious" game. It's for people who want to get a fun, decent cardio workout. Play it for 25 minutes two or three times a week and you'll notice an improvement three weeks later, I promise.

For people looking for a pretty good, fun workout routine at home, I say buy Wii Fit and Active Life: Outdoor Challenge and take turns playing each one six days a week. They're not as good as having a proper workout routine at a gym, but they're more fun and definitely much better than sitting on the couch or at a desk all day. Plus, having software that tracks my progress is nice.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there are modes for one or two players. In the one player mode, the player uses the entire mat. In the two player mode, both players share the mat simultaneously. I have yet to try the two player mode, but it seems like it'd be fun.

Also, many of the events make use of the mat and the Wii remote together, which makes sense. For example, in the inline skating event, running in place moves the character forward and tilting the Wii remote left or right steers the character.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 09-20-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Kayaking takes some practice ...

... try to float in the fast-moving sections of the white water (I think they usually look the deepest blue)

and like the game reminds you CONSTANTLY don't swoosh the Wiimote too hard.

It's also my lest favorite event, but with some practice you can master it.

Personally I hated the downhill boarding at first and after figuring all of that one out, it's one of my favorites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hated the downhill boarding at first and after figuring all of that one out, it's one of my favorites.
    I like that one, too. Ducking, jumping, spinning...the controls are clever, as they are in most of the events. I'm interested to see what the next Active Life title will be like!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I saw this at a Best Buy when I was in the US but didn't want to lug it on the plane.

I'll totally pick this one up next chance I get. Thanks for the review.