Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obscure Game Collecting Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Obscure Game Collecting Thread

N-Gage, Virtual Boy, NUON, Hyperscan, Game.com, let's discuss.

I am a sucker for these. I have a complete Hyperscan collection (without all of the cards for every single game, way too many), a complete VB collection, and a complete n-gage collection.

Let's discuss, trade information, etc.

Somebody mentioned the r-zone. I have a couple of games for it, but is there a good source to get them from?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my R-Zone and games from Wal-Mart back when they realized they weren't a good product. I got the NiGHTS bundled head-unit, and also maybe 2/3 of the games. I have a few Star Wars, Batman, Jurassic Park, no fighters though. I also have a never-opened original Digimon somewhere, if that counts. Good old 1998...

Anything else "obscure" that I have is PC stuff. There's a million no-name PC game developers, so technically half of all PC games are obscure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've got an N-Gage QD (dead as a doorknob after lending it to my brother for a few months), a Game Wave DVD player, a Xavix GamePort (bowling makes it worth having), a Tapwave Zodiac handheld, a Gizmondo (bought days after it's US launch, in fact), and three Nuon DVD players (two Samsung N-501 units and a Toshiba SD-2300). I even have a Tomy Tutor console/computer now. I even have a Memorex VIS!

I've got a Virtual Boy, but I never really collected for it as such. I bought it boxed in a thrift (with Waterworld!) but haven't really tried playing it for anything over two minutes. I've also got an R-Zone with several games, none of which I've popped out of their original packages to play. I've got a couple Game.com games, but nothing to play them on since the few handhelds I've found in the wild have had really serious battery corrosion.

I have a (barely) boxed Action Max with three games. The tapes are so dirty from sitting in some guy's warehouse that they barely play. I also have a ViewMaster Interactivision with a single game. Still haven't hooked that one up yet.

I'd really like to get my hands on a Channel F console and an Emerson Arcadia 2001 machine. Just to fool around with them. I own a boxed Bally Astrocade with a dozen or so games, most of which aren't all that great other than The Incredible Wizard, which is awesomeness in a plastic shell.

I'm all about the underdogs. I will happily throw support to a machine that most people will automatically dump on since it doesn't have a multinational corporation backing it (like the Gizmondo). And I can be objective enough to get enjoyment out of any games for any system. That's why I love machines like the Sega CD or Atari Jaguar so much. But I still can't bring myself to buy a Hyperscan for some reason.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alright, "Obscure Game Collecting Thread Quiz" time!!!!
    I am one game away from a complete Game.com collection. Ten points to anyone who guesses which game it is? One hundred points & $25 if you actually own one and will sell it to me.

Bonus question...20 bonus points if you know how many games were made for the "Game Wave"? 50 extra bonus points if you can name them?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm looking for a Gizmondo, but what I'd really like to have is a XavIXPORT system, especially since I hear they are still making them.

List of Game Wave games: (from Wikipedia article)

* 4 Degrees - The Arc of Trivia
    * 4 Degrees - Volume 2
    * 4 Degrees - Bible Edition
    * Re-wind
    * Re-wind 2005
    * Re-wind 2006
    * Lock 5
    * Zap 21
    * Sudoku
    * Letter Zap!
    * Click!
    * Gemz
    * VeggieTales

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I am one game away from a complete Game.com collection. Ten points to anyone who guesses which game it is? One hundred points & $25 if you actually own one and will sell it to me.

Bonus question...20 bonus points if you know how many games were made for the "Game Wave"? 50 extra bonus points if you can name them?
    My guess is Wheel of Fortune 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want a Tapwave Zodiac just for Duke Nukem Mobile. I may even be willing to pay the current going prices.

Been debating picking up a new game.com to replace my slightly-dead one so that I can play all the way through Duke Nukem 3D on it. The game blew, but I think I have a higher tolerance for shit games now.

Slowly buying up N-Gage gold master press kits. Those things are so awesome. Still need to find Civilization and Warhammer 40k: Glory in Death and then I think I'll be pretty much set. Not trying to get 'em all, just all of the ones I'm interested in. Maybe find another Mile High Pinball, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    No idea what it is; post it and I'll take a look around the local area this week. There's a couple of local stores that still have some game.com stock that I can dig through for you.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 06-29-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't mean to poop on people who like collecting junk (heh heh) but I would argue my habit of buying stuff that may be obscure for genres I like would count. Rite? I do love lots of cheesy stuff like CD-i games though.

Wait a second, I fit right in I bought all those X68000 games. Granted most of them are ports of proven arcade games, only crippled if they were originally vertical format or poorly ported. I merely got lucky because it was a legendary piece based on its hardware; I didn't select it because I was wise. Lately I've been diversifying by getting some of the console-only stuff I was missing.

I'd probably never be satisfied with my collecting; condition always remains out of reach.

I am at a bit of a crossroads as far as obscure collecting goes because hopefully I'll get a period-accurate monitor for the X68000 within two weeks - then I'll be close to writing about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am guessing that it is one of the random gameshow games. hehehe

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What? No love for the Neo Geo Pocket Color?

Actually started collecting a few week ago. Pretty interesting, IMO. Not many handhelds can say they have a built-in alarm clock and horoscope. Wonder if the others had similar features.

Gaming, majority-wise for a portable, is awesome, has to be since they'll remakes for many SNK stables. But, it's got enough japan flavor to make what was lack there of in the GBC. So far, I've got 14 of them complete and starting a thread to discuss about it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    what I'd really like to have is a XavIXPORT system, especially since I hear they are still making them.
    Where are you located? If there's a Fry's Electronics near you, you can probably pick one up there. They have lowered the prices on them from when I originally bought mine, the core console used to be $79 and now it's around $49. What I always found so fascinating about the Xavix GamePort was that it was made by a bunch of ex-Nintendo engineers, and then a year or two later Nintendo puts out the Wii. That always seemed odd to me, like it was a secret Nintendo project to gauge the video game market to see if motion controlled games would be taken seriously by the public or would it turn out to be another gimmick like the Virtual Boy's 3D and fail in the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I want a Tapwave Zodiac just for Duke Nukem Mobile.
    I wouldn't bother too much. The little analog nub joystick totally sucks for playing first person shooters. It renders Doom and Duke Nukem 3D almost unplayable in my opinion. Really, I couldn't find any games for the Zodiac that played well with that joystick.

I used to occasionally see copies of Duke Nukem 3D for the Zodiac at the local flea market (admittedly this was a year ago or so) still with the CompUSA stickers on them. Next time I go out there and I come across one I'll let you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    What? No love for the Neo Geo Pocket Color?
    Actually, I have a handful of games I'd like to get for it: Beast Busters '99, Faselei! (of course), and whatever KoF - Capcom crossover game has the Arthur Jumping Course minigame on it. Aw shucks, guess everybody else will be after 'em too. :P

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I had a near complete neo geo pocket collection at one point. these kinds of consoles are great imo because they're easy to collect at least in terms of the amount of stuff you need to pickup plus alot of the stuff is cheap to. Just got an Rzone and am looking at getting a game.com and of course games for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few neo geo pocket games(it's my most used handheld) and a single game.com game. I sold my other game.com games and all my ngage games on ebay.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

most obscure thing I have is a wonderswan. That count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    most obscure thing I have is a wonderswan. That count?
    Final Fantasy games, yeah. Lots of people still drooling over the idea of those, I bet. Me, I'd be interested in the G'n'G game, maybe the FFs later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Final Fantasy games, yeah. Lots of people still drooling over the idea of those, I bet. Me, I'd be interested in the G'n'G game, maybe the FFs later.
    The game blows on the original wonderswan because of screen blurring issues. It took me seemingly forever to play through the first stage on the original hardware and yet when I fired it up in an emulator, it seemed almost too easy. One of these days I'll have to pick up a Crystal to see if it makes it any more playable or not.

Turning the system on its side to play the vertical levels was really rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I wouldn't bother too much. The little analog nub joystick totally sucks for playing first person shooters. It renders Doom and Duke Nukem 3D almost unplayable in my opinion. Really, I couldn't find any games for the Zodiac that played well with that joystick.

I used to occasionally see copies of Duke Nukem 3D for the Zodiac at the local flea market (admittedly this was a year ago or so) still with the CompUSA stickers on them. Next time I go out there and I come across one I'll let you know.
    <3 I'm so gay for Duke Nukem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

N-Gage obscure? I wouldn't have thought so.

Me, complete: game.com, N-Gage, Atari 7800, Lynx, Magnavox Odyssey 1972, Pokemon mini (European complete collection)

Also collecting: Neo Geo pocket b&w, Neo Geo pocket color, WonderSwan, Amiga CD32

If it's obscure, and I see it cheap, I buy it, regardless.

as for game.com games, here:
    http://www.videogamer.de/show.php?ti..._Preisliste+on

worldwide shipping
    Last edited by tom; 06-30-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Depends if you call them obscure, or just less collected for

I have collections for 7800 (full combined NTSC/PAL set), Nuon (all US games), Neo Geo Pocket/Color (all b/w and colour games for Europe and Japan), Vectrex (full set Europe, US and Japan) and N64DD (all nine programs).

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Where are you located? If there's a Fry's Electronics near you, you can probably pick one up there. They have lowered the prices on them from when I originally bought mine, the core console used to be $79 and now it's around $49. What I always found so fascinating about the Xavix GamePort was that it was made by a bunch of ex-Nintendo engineers, and then a year or two later Nintendo puts out the Wii. That always seemed odd to me, like it was a secret Nintendo project to gauge the video game market to see if motion controlled games would be taken seriously by the public or would it turn out to be another gimmick like the Virtual Boy's 3D and fail in the marketplace.
    Sadly, the nearest Fry's is in Chicago. I'll try to find it somewhere else...