Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must play PSP RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Must play PSP RPGs.

I just picked up a used Darth Vader PSP for $99, and being as I've been a real Nintendo DS fanboy for years now, I've been ignoring the PSP scene. I picked up FFVII-Crisis Core first thing because that is THE ONLY PSP title I've ever wanted. Anyone have some RPG recommendations for the system for me to look out for?

I'm not looking for only the OMGRPGOLDSAUCE! RPGS. I play even the bad JRPGs ... I'll play a crappy Harvest Moon game for 14 years. I've got a real problem but I digress.

EDIT:
    Thread to PSP RPG list.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126374

I HAVE YOU NOW!
    Last edited by Raedon; 12-30-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd recommend Class of Heros. It's a love it or hate it one though.

I don't know how much RPG Half Minute Hero (fixed, thanks maxlords!) is, but that is my next planned purchase and it looks really freakin' cool.

Maybe, check this out and see if you want to get in on the Badman pre-order too.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137237
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 10-18-2009 at 08:34 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeanne D'arc and the Legend of Heroes series are the only RPGs I've really enjoyed so far. Tales of the World is ok, just realize that it's a pure dungeon-crawler with mission-based objectives.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Probably would be worth checking out this topic: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126374

If you haven't played it already, I'd recommend Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. The PlayStation original is better, but it's also mega-expensive.

Same kind of deal with Star Ocean 1: First Departure. I'd say the original is better then this PSP remake shoehorned into a Star Ocean 2 shell, but it is the only official release in English (even if the localization does stink).

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is also worth getting if you don't have it on PS1.

For something exclusive to the PSP, Jeanne d'Arc is a nice little strategy RPG with an interesting Joan of Arc theme.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Probably would be worth checking out this topic: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126374
    Damn Aussie, you beat me to my own punch.

Let's see what else...Ys: Ark of Napisthim has the original anime cutscenes (imo makes it better) unlike the PS2 version which Konami replaced with CG.

If that doesn't float your boat, they're 50+ other titles to choose from. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

off the top of my head recommendations (some good, some OK, some kinda meh adding to the solid ones folks have already mentioned):

Popolocrois
    Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
    Disgaea 2
    Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony
    Warriors of the Lost Empire
    Dungeon Maker
    Dungeon Maker II
    Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
    Valhalla Knights
    Valhalla Knights II (both are a bit pesky if you hate level grinding, but you'll get your money's worth in terms of how long you'll be playing)
    Sega Genesis Collection (for Phantasy Star II III and IV plus Sword of Vermilion if you want to go 16-bit)
    Kingdom of Paradise
    Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badaman! What Did I Do to Deserve This? (Currently available as a PSN download... BUT, Nippon Ichi took a poll and decided to produce it on UMD if 1,000 people pre-order the game HERE: http://rosenqueen.com/catalog/Holy-I...n-p-16301.html
    Blade Dancer
    Dragoneer's Aria
    Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Arts
    Bounty Hounds
    Tokobot (not really a RPG, but it feels like one)

There are a bunch more, but I'm not near by PSP collection...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geelw View Post
    Sega Genesis Collection (for Phantasy Star II III and IV plus Sword of Vermilion if you want to go 16-bit)
    I love retro (obviously) but I can only finish those early RPG games so many times.

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

congrats on a great find. i also have the darth vader psp and love it, have been looking to pick up a new one as backup for the later years (the 2000 series seems to be the best so far, no interlacing issues like the 3000, easy to hack and has umds lol. lets see if/what the 4000 will be)

i collect psp rpgs and have 90% of them. heres a quick list of the GOOD ones:

- legend of heroes series - there are 3, not necessary to play them in order since they are all actually ports of japanese pc games. i think the first is actually the 4th, not sure, you can wikipedia the series. they are fun, pretty and traditional jrpgs that will remind you of the 16/32bit games.

- breath of fire 3 - of course, however its UK only, but you can find via ebay

- tales if eternia - also uk only

- disgaea 1 & 2 - great SRPGs. if you like SRPGs, these games let you easily dump 200+ hours into them. you can really tell the developers LOVED what they were making. personally, srpgs usually feel a little impersonal to me, and these games kinda exacerbate the issue. lots of inter-dimensional levels.

- Final Fantasy I&II - the definitive versions of the 2 games that have been remade dozens of times before. if youd like ot play the 8bit originals that started it all, this platform is definitely the way to go

- final fantasy tactics - amazing story and never feels too far removed from traditional rpgs even though it is an srpg. lots of secrets, exploration, side quests and that old familiar loveable FF charm. takes place in Ivalice, same setting as the 2 FFTA games as well as FFXII.

- jeanne d'arc - an interesting revisionist history with a fantasy element injection to the original jeanne d'arc story. nice visuals and very well made game. SRPG.

- persona - remake of the ps1 original. need only apply if youre into the series, even though this game has been updated visually it still shows its age in the gameplay (early ps1).

- popolocrois - very charming rpg with a more kiddie art style. i had a fun time playing it.

- star ocean series - the first game is a remake of the 16bit original and it shows its age in how the game is structured. the second one is better. both look beautiful. if youre not particularly a fan of teh series you can try the 2nd one right away and not miss much.

- untold legends series - excellent hack and slash action rpg. if you like these types of games, you will absolutely enjoy these. same goes for xmen legends 2, btw.

- valkyrie profile - a must play for everyone to at least see if you like it. its a 2d sidescrolling rpg where you are timed. you only have a set amount of time to beat the game. i liked the game a lot, but am wary of recommending it to everyone. try reading a review.

- ys - a likeable action rpg. i recommend dumping this one on your memory stick definitely because the load times can get annoying.

honorable mentions - you should definitely read more in depth reviews of the following games since they are very hit or miss amongst people who play them
    -dungeon maker games
    -monster hunter series
    -all the NIS america SRPGs on the console (there are A LOT of them, most are rather generic SRPGs, if youre really into SRPGs and managed to get bored of disgaea, trying looking at these)

id like to try to steer you clear of valhalla knights, those games are pretty bad. having said that, the psp in general has most of it's rpgs rated 5-8. a lot of people are very critical of the console and tis games in general. may want to use alternate resources for reviews (like an rpg website vs gamespot).

enjoy! and ps - i recommend you hack your psp, it takes 20 minutes max and lets you copy your umds on your mem card. this helps with wear n tear on the drive, battery life as well as load times. also opens the world up to you in terms of emulation. enjoy again
    Last edited by Poofta!; 10-18-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if I can hack this PSP because I don't know what the original firmware # was or what number was on the box (no box). It could be a TA mobo PSP and I'd hate to brick it. I'll probably just buy an older PSP someday and use a Pandora battery. For now I'd like to just stick with buying used UMD RPG games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

A little Crisis Core hate:

FF-Crisis Core is probably the most disappointing game I've ever bought and played in 27 years of gaming. I followed the development, bought it release day, put about 24 hours in, and still haven't finished it 1 1/2 years later. Why was I forcing myself to play this horrible game day after day? It's one of those things that I had to push aside my RPG-completion-OCD and just stop.

When leveling up is based COMPLETELY on chance (yeah...that's right...plain old luck), you know it's going to take a special type of RPG-fan to enjoy it. "Niche" doesn't even begin to describe it's appeal. The gameplay boils down to 100 or so 2 minute missions poorly held together by some ridiculous computer hub-thing. Seriously, that's it.

I guess I can see why a few people like it. It has AAA production values, the story was interesting, and it has all those little "FF7" touches throughout (menu style and sounds, materia, music)...but those still can't break the overwhelming boredom of the combat. Get ready to run up to a bunch of in-game computers, pick and mission and press X a lot.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Get ready to run up to a bunch of in-game computers, pick and mission and press X a lot.
    Well, I'm fine with 1 button gameplay mechanics. Remember those Atari/C64 sticks?

Only 3 hours into FFVII core and the story has me wondering wtf will happen next. I do see what you mean about leveling being all luck though. 7 7 7 LEVEL UP!!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Raedon - Brave Story, one of the best RPGs I have played on PSP, easy interface, great story, no needless extra controls:

-GAC-
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I interpreted the subject line to mean "I must play PSP RPGs". I was going to respond, "so go buy some, then!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to say I've been impressed with the following:

Legend of Heroes 1-3
    Kingdom of Paradise
    Star Ocean: First Departure (I REALLY like it...don't know why people are ragging on it)
    Crimson Gem Saga
    Jeanne De Arc (though it's a strategy game really)
    Puzzle Quest (though it's a puzzle game with RPG elements
    Persona (great remake btw!)
    Half Minute Hero (just starting this but I REALLY like it!)
    Riviera
    Yggdra Union
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

There are plenty of other good PSP games too.

As for modding...it's risky with a Vader. I got lucky and got an original black 2000 new a couple months ago and a Pandora worked fine on it.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You probably need Pandora do add custom firmware. Other RPG worth checking out

- Gurumin: Monster Adventure (play like Zelda)
    - Wildarm XF
    - Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
    - Final fantasy (original Final fantasy with updated sprites)

Other PSP games worth looking into

- Prinny: Can I be a Hero
    - Burnout Legend
    - Loco Roco 1 & 2
    - Patapon
    - Tekken: Dark Resurrection
    - Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Crimson Gem Saga

Brave Story

Star Ocean

Spectral Souls (SRPG)

Jeanne D'Arc (SRPG)

and I'd like to say that:
    FFT is terrible on the PSP....yea it has added content but the animation load times are awful, it's not worth it, please pickup the original to experience this game in all it's glory.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    I'm not sure if I can hack this PSP because I don't know what the original firmware # was or what number was on the box (no box). It could be a TA mobo PSP and I'd hate to brick it. I'll probably just buy an older PSP someday and use a Pandora battery. For now I'd like to just stick with buying used UMD RPG games.
    Your Vader PSP-2000 is fully hackable. The only ones that can go either way are the late edition black (AB02) and the Madden Blue. The God of War, silver and the Vader white are hackable.
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Valkyrie Profile or anything from the Final Fantasy, Legend of Heroes, Disgaea, Star Ocean, and Tales of series. Just note that the Legend of Heroes games have translations so bad that these could be contenders for the "Top 10 Wost RPG Translations" gold silver and bronze prizes.
    Just keep in mind that since the PSP RPG library is so remake heavy at the very least most do not suck even if they may be hit or miss.

Edit: About Tales of Eternia there was a small number (Probably about a month's print run) of the game made that had a glitch that makes it impossible to complete the game. Google "Tales of Eternia Volt Glitch" and make sure the seller you buy from covers this. The way to Identify a bad disc involves checking the firmware update that is included on the disc 2.50 and higher is good 2.00 is bad. Just for reference my copy was purchased about 2 months after release and is 2.50 glitch free.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 10-18-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by incubus421 View Post
    FFT is terrible on the PSP....yea it has added content but the animation load times are awful, it's not worth it, please pickup the original to experience this game in all it's glory.
    I agree the load times do get tiresome. However, the added characters, animated story scenes and improved translation are pretty nice. Either way, the original just was released on PSN for PSP/PS3. It may be worth picking up.

Back on topic...The PSP version of Final Fantasy is amazing. Very beautiful and unappreciated port. Too bad they didn't give FFT the same treatment.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 10-18-2009 at 09:55 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    A little Crisis Core hate:

FF-Crisis Core is probably the most disappointing game I've ever bought and played in 27 years of gaming. I followed the development, bought it release day, put about 24 hours in, and still haven't finished it 1 1/2 years later. Why was I forcing myself to play this horrible game day after day? It's one of those things that I had to push aside my RPG-completion-OCD and just stop.

When leveling up is based COMPLETELY on chance (yeah...that's right...plain old luck), you know it's going to take a special type of RPG-fan to enjoy it. "Niche" doesn't even begin to describe it's appeal. The gameplay boils down to 100 or so 2 minute missions poorly held together by some ridiculous computer hub-thing. Seriously, that's it.

I guess I can see why a few people like it. It has AAA production values, the story was interesting, and it has all those little "FF7" touches throughout (menu style and sounds, materia, music)...but those still can't break the overwhelming boredom of the combat. Get ready to run up to a bunch of in-game computers, pick and mission and press X a lot.
    It's hardly based on chance. You really have a hidden, in-game experience amount that the game tracks. Once you hit X number of EXP, the 7-7-7 combo opens up on the slot and you can hit it and level up. I liked the whole slot system. The [small] dose of chance kind of added some excitement to the proceedings.

I thought Crisis Core was one of the better games on PSP. Lots of content and extra missions, even if they were kind of generic/not as fun as typical FF sidequests.